New RaceRoom fan boy here!

2 posts in this topic

When John posted his video on RaceRoom's new triple screen support, I got curious. I had tried RaceRoom quite some time ago and came away unimpressed primarily because I had basic setup issues with my wheel. I figured if they can't get something as basic as being able to setup a popular wheel (I believe I had a T300 back then) and they don't have triple screen support, why bother?

So now comes this huge update and John's vid and I got curious. I knew I could try them out again for free so I figured... why not? I was instantly impressed. Not only with the triple screen support but by the whole look and feel of the sim. I had some good races with the AI (though they brake a bit early and don't seem to have any problem in bumping you off the track). The physics felt right as well. So I bought a car and a couple of tracks and had a lot of fun with it. Once I got used to the AI, I've had some awesome races that often felt like - when I was in the mix of it - I was racing against people (for reference, I'm an avid iRacer). It's not perfect, mind you. The AI can be frustrating with the aforementioned braking and bumping. The bumping is not a given but does happen fairly often which, if you've done any racing in iRacing, is not uncommon so you could say it is a fair representation. 8-)

The REAL kicker with this sim, though, is the force feedback. I started playing with the settings and there are specific settings that speak to vertical and lateral forces from the tires and feedback from the steering rack. I dialed the tire settings to 100% and the steering rack to 0% and was nearly giddy with the result. I have never felt so connected with what the car was doing! I'm still making minor tweaks here and there but that change just elevated RaceRoom to my fav sim in regards to force feedback. It is also quickly becoming my fav offline sim. I've got the AI set to 100% (not quite sold on the Adaptive mode) and had a race at the Red Bull Ring where I skipped qualifying and started myself at 10th. I finished 5th - should have podiumed but partially lost it in a turn late in the race - about a second behind the 3rd and 4th finishers who were duking it out pretty good for 3 laps. It was a ton of fun. I also had a race at Sonoma where I was going back and forth with the top 2 contenders and came in second by less than a tenth.

I'm still new with RaceRoom. I only have about 11 hours into it. I'm going to try setting the AI to 105% to see if the braking characteristic improves (my number one pet peeve with the AI). As I mentioned, I'm also still tweaking the ff settings. Haven't even really played with pit options or too much car setup stuff. If you are looking to try a sim out and haven't looked at RaceRoom, I highly recommend it. Especially since you can try it out for free.

Still digging this sim. My racing time is limited so I try not to divide up amongst too many different sims so lately it has been RaceRoom and iRacing. The interesting thing I'm finding is that RaceRoom is good practice for dealing with traffic. I'm trying the Adaptive AI but biding my time with it. I set it to Adaptive but then raced on tracks I'm not very familiar with. I did enjoy some fun pack racing though.

I think I've got the ff dialed in. Still loving the connection I'm feeling with the track's surface!

One thing I didn't mention in my previous post is how awesome the sound is. Really good use of surround sound as well.

Taking advantage of the track sale! :-D