Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Only 180 degrees of wheel control again?

8 posts in this topic

I'm playing this on PS3 .. I've never tried a dirt game on PC ... so I don't know how the logitech drivers would effect this

but just like Dirt 2 the game clearly only gives you 180 degrees of steering control... you can turn the wheel as far as you want past that but it doesnt' effect the car

am I wrong? ... it never seems I have to turn my wheel more than 90 degrees in either direction ... the rally in gt5 controls similar at speed but in sharp or hairpin corners I sometimes swing 900 degrees lock to lock especially with RWD...its much more dynamic as I have to use real world steering skills

I never do that in Dirt... and even if I did ... IT Doesn't Do Anything

I'm sure modern Rally cars have limited steering lock but 180 degrees? it would be 540 to 720 more likely ... and half the cars in the game are old cars RWD that probly still used 900

does changing a certain wheel setting fix this? because it sure doesn't seem to

i was just noticing this while playing, im playing on 360 so its the same i think. i use the microsoft wireless wheel and it def doesnt even use all 270 degrees( i believe thats what my wheel has, 270). does changing the advanced settings fix this?

This is done by design since Dirt series leans more toward arcade than a rally game like RBR. This is so you can turn more quickly.

You only got two choices

1) play on the PC where you can change the degree of rotation from the wheel's driver or

2) buy a Fanatec wheel which has on-wheel adjustments. This is one area Fanatec has an advantage when it comes to consoles since consoles often don't give gamers as much options and freedom that PC does.

well all I can say is I really don't like it

i'm having fun with the game and all that....but I'm not really getting as much out of my wheel as I would be in gt5 ...

Thanks for the tidbits .. I love this forum. This is very good to know. Glad I have a GT2 on the way. I wondered why the steering felt so weird with my XBOX Wheel on Dirt and Dirt2. I just couldn't pinpoint what was going on though.

This is done by design since Dirt series leans more toward arcade than a rally game like RBR. This is so you can turn more quickly.

You only got two choices

1) play on the PC where you can change the degree of rotation from the wheel's driver or

2) buy a Fanatec wheel which has on-wheel adjustments. This is one area Fanatec has an advantage when it comes to consoles since consoles often don't give gamers as much options and freedom that PC does.

I just had an epiphany tonight as i was playing around with Dirt3. I too noticed that the in-game wheel only seems to rotate 180 degrees. And I also noticed that I seemed to have some sort of lag when I turned my wheel quickly. What I found after experimenting is that the best setting for this game (and Forza 3 BTW) is to have your sensitivity on the Fanatec wheels set to 180 to match the in game maximum rotation. With that you have direct 1:1 rotation and it makes the wheel much more responsive.

I had previously been trying to set my Fanatec wheel to 360 degrees to force more movement in the game wheel. Instead all I got was a watered down response making the controls feel laggy.

hey InsideSimRacing... if you guys have any pull....

call up codemasters and ask them to patch the stupid steering.... *sarcasm*

seems like ps3 owners got shafted

as much as I enjoy the Dirt games... after I went back to Richard Burns Rally I started having so much more fun with the basic driving of it...Dirt3 has well designed stages (short ones) and amazing graphics but in RBR you actually have to steer all the way in both directions.

like I said before codies always finds one unforgivable thing I hate about their games... with F1 2010 it was the brake cheat u couldn't turn off... with this game its the steering

they got so much right with Dirt 3 ... why muck up this?

I also only get 180 degrees on forza 6 and have updated the drivers for the TX wheel and checked it on the PC. It appears to be ok on project cars so am wondering whether it's a forza issue not the wheel. Also strangely the wheel does not show up on the xbox settings devices so I could also be an xbox problem. I am completely stumped. Anyone else had this problem or seen a solution?