Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Monitors Field of View

10 posts in this topic

I've run one rally stage in DiRT3 on my triple monitor setup and I want to use the cockpit view (iRacing has "spoiled" me). However, the field of view looks completely wrong, way too wide. Is there any way to adjust the field of view to something more realistic?

Thanks so much for the response. This is exactly what I was looking for. One question, why are there 45 different cameras.xml files in your archive? 45 different cars?

Well, maybe more than one question. You run 5936x1080 rather than 5760x1080 as a way to compensate for the bezels, correct? If so, do you use Catalyst to do the bezel compensation?

Yeah 45 different cars. Mine's from steam and are located in c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\dirt3\cars. Disc version would probably be in c:\program files\codemasters\dirt3\cars.

5936x1080 was automatically chosen by Dirt 3. I haven't even checked what it looks like in 5760x1080 yet. Too busy driving :D. Yes, bezel compensation was done via Catalyst. It was done when I created the 3x1 monitor group. Good video tutorial here.

Currently, in iRacing, my resolution is 5760x1080. No bezel compensation; haven't played with that but I did set my FOV to 174. I'm not sure if these are ideal but looks okay to me. I think I have it at 5760x1080 for Race07 and some other games as well.

Hope that helped.

Question: What kind of PC hardware are you running? Do you get a fairly smooth frame-rate? I have a GT2 on the way and I'm looking at starting an iRacing Career when it arrives. I want to upgrade my PC so that I can run iRacing at a good resolution with smooth frame rates. My current system setup:

Asus Mobo (supports up to 3.0Ghz Phenom II x4)

AMD Athlon II x2 3.0Ghz

4 GB G-Skill RAM

GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB

Windows XP Pro 64-bit

Should I scrap the whole system and start over, or would upgrading to the Phenom II x4 (3.0Ghz), 8GB Ram and Dual GeForce 8600 GTS SLI be enough? Is there any advantage to running Windows Vista or 7 as opposed to XP for iRacing?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Troy

I run iRacing on three screens at 5760x1080 using an AM3 socket MB with a Phenom II 965 BE that is overclocked to 3.7 GHz. I use an Eyefinity desktop arrangement driven by an HD 6950 2GB video card on a Windows 7 64-bit OS. My system handles everything I throw at it with all important graphics options maxed out. Typical framerates for me are about 90 fps or higher.

Windows XP will not support an Eyefinity triple screen setup. I'm unsure about triple screens using NVidia hardware, but I do know that you must run an SLI setup or purchase a GTX 590 to run three screens with one card.

Is the Phenome 965 a 4X or 6X processor?

My mobo can handle up to 4X. Phenome II 945 is the highest chip I can put in it with the latest BIOS updates. Unfortunately the 940 is not a BE, so I'd be stuck at 3.0Ghz. Just wondering if I should go for a new mobo and get a Phenome 6X BE.

I have one nVidia 8600 GTS right now. I plan to upgrade that to an SLI combo (haven't decided which card yet) so that I can run triples as well.

I'm also running only 4GB of RAM and will probably upgrade that to 8GB. I'm running WinXP 64-bit, so I think it will recognize that much RAM, right? I do need to upgrade to Windows 7, but I hate upgrading Windows. I always end up having to reinstall everything and invariably there are some things for which I've lost the original disc(s).

Cheers!

My 965 is a 4-core BE (unlocked) processor. I very slightly bumped the multiplier to 18.5 to run the clock at 3.7 GHz. I don't think iRacing uses more than two processor cores unless you use the FMOD sound, which runs on a third core (if available). I think a 6-core processor would be a waste of money if your focus is iRacing. If you stick with an AMD chipset, the easiest way to run triples by far is to go with an AMD video card. My HD 6950 2GB rocks.

AMD and NVidia only recently announced that new AMD-chipset mobos will be SLI ready.

Any 64-bit OS will recognize and use more than 3 GB of RAM. Windows 7 is much better than XP and an easy install.

Thanks a ton for the excellent info.

My MoBo is actually almost 5yrs old (before AMD purchased ATI and stopped supporting nVidia SLI). So, my MoBo is already SLI ready. Actually, my MoBo has an nVidia chipset and RAID controller. I may upgrade to a newer/faster video card anyway, though. I've always preferred nVidia to ATI/AMD video cards. I don't really have a great reason to be loyal to nVidia. I've always had really good luck with them.