Difference between 60Hz and 144Hz
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I like ASUS VG248QE because My friend has the same monitor and she is fully satisfied with this. Now I also want to buy a new monitor but don't know which monitor should I buy in between 144Hz and 60Hz. If anyone tell me the difference between them then It would be more helpful for me. Thanks.

This is just my opinion......

144 hz is like a drug, once you use it there is no going back.

If I could have a choice I would stick with 60hz and save myself a wedge 

of cash.

the only real positive ( if you take what I said above ) is that it is

easier on the eyes after extended sim time.

Higher refresh panels give you a perceivable smoother animated picture, it definitely worth it if your GPU can render games much faster than 60fps, otherwise for obvious reasons there's no point.

To get an idea, just set your monitor in the control panel to 30mhz, and move your mouse pointer around or a desktop Window. That will give you an impression on the difference between a slow and faster refresh rate. It's very clear. In games it's like your GPU has been upgraded when the onscreen image is smoother.

I have two 200mhz Predator 35" monitors. One was on my sim rig  and the other for all other PC gaming. I'm running VR exclusively on the sim rig now, so replaced the Predator on the sim rig with a 60mhz IPS panel I had hanging around just as a backup. I've ran a couple of hours back on the 60mhz monitor and at least for sim racing, I don't really notice a big advantage. Sure I can tell the difference, but I wasn't as bothered as I thought I'd be. It's probably because the type of movement in sim racing doesn't appear that fast when looking straight ahead.

However for other PC gaming it's a game changer for me, the higher refresh panel smoothness improves fast moving games enormously. Of course If I still had a desire to race with a monitor I'd pick the higher refresh monitor to take advantage of my GTX 1080 Ti.

First, I will say, upgrading from 60Hz to 120Hz or faster will definitely improve your experience and reduce eye fatigue. However, you must have a PC that's capable of maintaining higher FPS to really benefit from the higher refresh rate.

Is the improvement so huge that you'll be blow away right from the start? Maybe not.

It's interesting that in blind tests, people with NO extended experience in front of a 120Hz+ monitor can't always identify that a monitor is running at 60Hz vs 120Hz. However, if the person has been using a faster monitor for a while, they can almost always identify which is which.

For me, having used a 144Hz BenQ XR3501 for more than a year, I can tell if a game is running below 60FPS. If the FPS drops below 40 FPS, it almost makes my eyes hurt (yes, I'm exaggerating... a little).

Occasionally I'll play a console game--I have both PS4 and Xbox One. I prefer PS4 because it runs at 60 FPS (most of the time) and I can usually play for a few hours. The Xbox One (or Xbox 360 v0.5 as I call it) usually runs at 30 FPS (utterly ridiculous)--and I can't stand playing on it for more than 30-40 minutes. Gears of War 4 looked great... as long as you didn't spin around too fast.

...of course when I go back to my PC after console gaming, I immediately appreciate the "silky smooth" 144Hz and 90-200 FPS.

I think in 2019 every PC gamer should switch to 144hz, because its the norm these days, Trust me once you go 144hz you are never going. Even on windows desktop 60hz feels just horrible whenever I use my laptop after using my PC. Also, 1440 144hz and 4k HDR is the big debate when it comes to racing games, So this article pretty much will break it down for you to decide which is your realm https://appuals.com/1440p-144hz-or-4k-hdr-in-2019-which-is-better/. I'd say get a good decent 144hz of 2019. The VG248QE is old now. Cheers!