Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to AC and sim racing in general

10 posts in this topic

So I just recently got myself a used Fanatec 911 GT3RS V2 wheel w/clubsport V1 pedals and needed a game that would work with both my somewhat dated PC and the wheel setup.  I decided to jump into a better experience with a wheel because I was playing Forza 6 Apex with a game pad on my PC, the game was free and great visually.  Of course I was unaware that the wheel I got was not supported by the Forza series which lead me to Assetto Corsa.

So I've only done a some practice laps with a couple of vehicles and find this sim racing thing a little more difficult than anticipated.  Compared to Forza 6 Apex, I find navigating the menus in AC quite annoying.  Forza was much more straight forward.

Any tips and/or suggestions as I get more into this game?  Wheel setup, vehicle setups, and the game in general?

I'm also interested in some MOD downloads, but the fact that they seem to come from Russia, curious if everything is safe to download?  If safe, is it pretty easy to get MODs installed into the game?

Thanks for helping this rookie!

Hi, just persevere and you'll get the hang of AC. The default car settings in AC are pretty good so it's just getting used to the different mechanics of sim physics. Brake earlier and be less aggressive with acceleration while cornering. There's no secret, you'll pick it up by practice.

AC mods are as easy as dropping files into folders. The mod tracks and cars will then appear in the game.

I too had difficulty in AC when I first started out in that game, for some reason, even if I had prior experience with other sim racing games, I was caught a bit off guard. Probably I wasn't as good in sim racing as I thought I was lol

But after some perseverance (some cursing), I was able to get the hang of it. Just keep on practicing and get to know each cars quirks. I usually start with default setup to get to know the car, then based on my driving, I can start tweaking the setup.

I'd say it is safe to get mods from them, as I have a lot of mods in AC right now from different places; of course, some mods are not up to date so they may be missing some sound files, but those are for the older mods. Whereas most mods are for free, you may stumble into some paid mods, such as various F1 season mods or such. And installing them is pretty straight forward, if not, there are instructions with the mods.

Thanks for the advice guys on just persevering.  I'm slowly working through the career mode and starting to get the hang of it.  Doing my best without any aids, manual shifting and it's starting to get fun.  I still struggle with spinning out here or there.  Usually from just giving it too much gas exiting a turn or braking in the middle of a turn because I went in too hot, lol.  Also from light contact in races, I cannot seem to recover once my rear end gets loose.

All in all, I'm really enjoying it.

hey man i msged u back on that shifter, also in a/c there is a mod manager which is a game changer, and then id get mods from facebook has a huge huge modding community. a/c is one of my main games nxt to horizon 3 so lmk if theres anything else u need.

2 hours ago, SICKwidIT said:

I just started couple days ago with fanatec setup and AC. Would be nice if there was a go to youtube video or online guide on setting up the configurations and cool/fun stuff you can do with AC. 

I think you need to check out http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php  for all mods , wheel settings and wot not .

I am also new to simracing but really went big. I bought a Fanatec 2.5 wheelbase, pedals, shifter and a full blown gaming PC then since I own a machine shop I welded up my own rig, istalled a Momo Seat and all this before ever having tried simracing.  Its been a few days now and I have picked up how to get going and having fun thank God.  But I am no way up to speed on all the tweeks you guys know and do.  My first attempt was to try the Porsche 962.  I got all the devices to work after a few cursing events but I am having trouble understanding the Main controls slide adjustments.

I was not getting nearly the braking I needed so moved the brake from 100% to like 55% and braking got better?  is this right?

Also on any car that I have tried I can not get the clutch right.  It grabs so hard it takes the RPM's to near stall.  I can barely get the car rolling by going to redline an feathering the clutch.  What do I need to do?

My learning curve needs help with things this simple and hate to trouble you guys with dumb questions. Is there a place to get this knowledge in like an Assetto Corsa for Dummies video?

csdilligaf you will need to make sure all the fanatec software/drivers are installed and that you setup the pedals and wheel outside of the game first. If you have the pedals plugged into the wheelbase, the adjustments can be done through the wheel's onboard tuning menu.

Usually if you need to adjust the brake sensitivity in the game, then that means that it is not adjusted right on the pedal side for the amount of force you are using. If you are using the clubsport V2's or earlier, then there may be a knob for the brake sensitivity on the pedals themselves.

There is an app available in Assetto Corsa that will show the inputs that the game sees as little bar graphs. It is available as an overlay if you move the mouse to the right side of the screen and select the icon that says pedals. It will tell you what the game is seeing based on your pedal settings, and game settings, and can give you a better idea of what problems you're having, and how to fix them.