Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gran Turismo 5 Discussion

214 posts in this topic

Porsche has an exclusive contract with EA and there won't be porsches for that reason in any other games either. MS managed to make some deal with EA for porches but nobody knows what was MS's offering.(might have said that GT can not have porsches) Anyways it is huge marketing miss for Porsche to not be in greatest racing game series of all time.(couple milloin they get from EA and MS are small money compared what marketing value of GT is)

RUF will be in GT so you can drive "911's" in GT5.

Sony better announce GT5 for this year. Sony announced GT5 even before we saw Forza 2 reveal and announcement and now Turn 10 revealed Forza 4 and gameplay looks sick graphically(way better than any GT5 TRAILER we've seen so far).

they better give us complete car deformation, different statistics and sounds for EACH car(so far we had only statistic and sound paterns that were shared by many different cars), improved handling, make actual AI and finally implement some colision physics in the game. GT5 Prologue and GT5 Academy demo still was lacking in most of those things even compared to 1st Forza.

it's been in development for 5-6 or whatever years so they better step it up.

I guess we'll find out about GT5 today but I'm not all that worried about it.

I do wonder what you were looking at in the Kinect Forza demo that had you so impressed. The graphics didn't look any better than Forza 3 to me. And the fact they have taken Forza, a racing sim, and made it a motion-controlled Granny-Game is disappointing as hell to me. The graphics in the driving part were good but hell they should be given that sequence is basically on rails where you can motion left or right.

The walk around part was ok. It would get old after doing it once. And GT5 could probably do the same thing with the Sony glow-sticks...... I mean Move.

For this E3 all the kudos in my book go to Sony because at least GT5 is going to be a real sim and not that garbage Kinect "Forza 4" demo. It was a joke. You could tell in Dan Greenawalt's face he wasn't into this demo. Unfortunately he comes off like a corporate shill and a used car salesman with the line "Forza Motorsport is the home of racing innovation" then shows that Granny-game Kinect crap.

If taking away control of accelerating, braking, clutch to allow you to hold your hands in mid-air and "steer" left and right while "racing" is the home of innovation then Forza is dead as a racing sim.

well there are screens from the Forza 4 demo and looking at them, car(especially interiors) looked miles above what we've seen so far in GT5 and it was a huge step up from the last Forza game. but i was impressed mostly by kinect. i'm not talking about driving without controler, but head tracking, ability to walk around the car, push all the buttons etc. it's still was only their idea what they would like to do with Kinect and they said they had diferent demos that they've made(probably for tunning stuff) but it looked fun to me.

i'm a car enthusiast and i loved it. plus they showed some off stage demo when they also implemented interactive car encyclopedia(chosing diferent parts of the car you could hear voiceover with history about the car, engine or manufacturer). yeah it has nothing to do with racing per se, but if they would give me a Forza 4 with a second disc that would be that car encyclopedia with ability to pop the hood, look on the engine and diferent parts of the car, hop in to the car, push all the buttons and even push the Start button and drive on that desert with those motion controls - i would get it cause it's fun to me. i wouldn't have a problem buying only that interactive encyclopedia if there would be the right price.

That was NOT Forza 4.. Who ever posted that , was not paying attention and is trying to genreate views.. Forza 3 will still support all the same controls AND Kinnect allowing head tracking with a real wheel ..

I would never drive it like they showed, but it is possible. We'll track down Dan today hopefully and get the scoop..

Drove GT5 yesterday at a VIP event that Mercedes Benz was holding. Drove the SLS at a few track. Tokyo, LeMans, Top Gear Test track and we got footage of it all too.. ALso tested it in 3d and it looks amazing ! Met Kazanori too.. Shaun and JEss got pictures with him.. I tried talking to him but I don't think he understood, or knew how to reply in English.

That was NOT Forza 4.. Who ever posted that , was not paying attention and is trying to genreate views.. Forza 3 will still support all the same controls AND Kinnect allowing head tracking with a real wheel ..

I would never drive it like they showed, but it is possible. We'll track down Dan today hopefully and get the scoop..

Drove GT5 yesterday at a VIP event that Mercedes Benz was holding. Drove the SLS at a few track. Tokyo, LeMans, Top Gear Test track and we got footage of it all too.. ALso tested it in 3d and it looks amazing ! Met Kazanori too.. Shaun and JEss got pictures with him.. I tried talking to him but I don't think he understood, or knew how to reply in English.

Im so glad you guys are there at E3, the Real Low down on these two games/W.I.P can not come soon enough.

I'm glad PD finally set a launch date, but overall I'm disappointed with what I saw. I'm still looking at all the videos intently looking for production car damage in GT5. GT still looks and drives like Project Gotham. Night driving? Big deal. And where's the real-time telemetry option? What about triple-screen? Forza had those since 2005.

ok, now i'm confused. Greenawalt said that what they showed was few concepts that may be incorporated into their next game that would be released next year, they were bragging about new engine for their next game, and also on their site theres info that those ideas from the presentation may by in their "next big thing". i assumed that it's Forza 4(especially that all articles listed it as Forza 4) - so is there's a chance of getting different racing game(rally or somethin)?

ok, now i'm confused. Greenawalt said that what they showed was few concepts that may be incorporated into their next game that would be released next year, they were bragging about new engine for their next game, and also on their site theres info that those ideas from the presentation may by in their "next big thing". i assumed that it's Forza 4(especially that all articles listed it as Forza 4) - so is there's a chance of getting different racing game(rally or somethin)?

He made it perfectly clear that what was seen, would require significant enhancements on the Xbox 360 to even come close graphically. You will not find a game on these current series of consoles that even come remotely close to the graphical level of gran turismo, simply because of the way in which PD has optimized the cell processors. It's exactly the same reason why GT4 still looks amazing 6 years on.

I'm glad PD finally set a launch date, but overall I'm disappointed with what I saw. I'm still looking at all the videos intently looking for production car damage in GT5. GT still looks and drives like Project Gotham. Night driving? Big deal. And where's the real-time telemetry option? What about triple-screen? Forza had those since 2005.

You will find that alot of manufacturers prevent these sim companies for allowing excessive damage to their models how ever physics damage is represented on all cars.

I don't think Polyphony released it in this demo for E3, but its certainly there for the full game.

Here is the official PRESS RELEASE from SCEA regarding GT5.

Most intresting bit is bolded:

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC.

Developer: Polyphony Digital Inc.

Platform: PlayStation®3 system

Genre: Racing / Driving Simulator

Players: 1 – 4 Local, up to 16 online

Release: TBA (November 2nd confirmed)

Rating: RP – Rating Pending

From Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI), the development powerhouse that has shipped more than 55 million units worldwide, the award-winning Gran Turismo® franchise makes its way to the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system in the first complete installment of the fan-favorite series on the console. Developed exclusively for PS3 by the internal team of designers and engineers at PDI, Gran Turismo® 5 brings the world’s most realistic and comprehensive driving experience to fans in one of the most highly anticipated games of all time. Consistently setting the bar in terms of quality of design and physics technology with every product release, Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 is no exception and aims to set new standards in terms of graphics, presentation, and gameplay.

Gran Turismo 5 features more than 1000 licensed cars from the world’s top manufacturers and more than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations, including famous world circuits, city courses, and other environments. Featuring exciting gameplay and modes to suit newcomers, automotive enthusiasts, and seasoned fans, Gran Turismo 5 raises the bar on the franchise’s depth of content and unparalleled visuals including lifelike graphics that are difficult to distinguish from a live race. Further reflecting this realism, cars will feature real-time visual damage with adaptive and accurate car deformation based on point of impact and velocity. Additionally for the first time, Gran Turismo 5 will feature an extremely deep online and community feature set.

Players can progress and acquire credits through a variety of modes like GT Career Mode, Championship Races, License Tests and more, or they can explore different tracks and circuit variations in Arcade Mode. Additionally, players can race online with up to 16 players through PlayStation Network®(PSN). Players can also participate in a robust online system, and transfer vehicles unlocked in Gran Turismo® for PSP™ into their garage in

Gran Turismo 5.

CARS THAT LOOK AND FEEL REAL

· A first for the franchise, vehicles will now show real-time damage and wear that reflect the driver’s treatment of the car. Cars will collect dirt (and can be washed at car washes) and will feature adaptive and accurate body deformation and performance damage based on point of impact and velocity (on select vehicles).

· Additional graphic touchups that add to the realism include smoke from tires, sparks that fly from vehicle rollovers, and dirt accumulation.

· Brand new vehicle physics engine that replaces the engine from Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, making the action more realistic than ever.

· PlayStation Eye camera features that add a new level of detail to the game, including face tracking for looking around the interior of vehicles while in the interior dash view.

MORE CARS, MORE TRACKS, MORE MODES

· More than 1000 licensed cars, including those representing racing organizations from around the globe such as NASCAR, World Rally Championship, Super GT and more.

· More than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations featuring famous world circuits and real-world city locales.

· Arcade mode lets players take in the stunning tracks and environments of

Gran Turismo 5 alone or with a friend in split-screen two-player mode.

· The fan-favorite career mode returns with a full world map, licensed car dealerships, tuning and body shops, and car washes. Start your car collection, customize them to your liking, and live the life of a pro racer.

· Compete in franchise mainstays like point-based Championship Race series and hone your skills with License Tests.

· Gran Turismo TV Video gives players access to an online clearinghouse of great motorsport video programming (both HD and SD – all broadcast quality) through PLAYSTATION Network. Users can now export this content to the GT PSP Museum (GT PSP required).

CUSTOMIZE YOUR RIDE, AND YOUR GAME

· Photo Mode and Photo Album allows users to capture their greatest GT moments, and share with friends. Players can stage and capture stylish shots from a number of angles and locations.

· Photo Album can be shared online, and the Online Replay Album lets players capture replay video from their favorite races and upload them to YouTube for the world to see.

· Players can create custom soundtracks from music stored on their PS3s to play in-game.

RACE AGAINST THE WORLD, ONLINE

· Online racing evolves in Gran Turismo 5 with robust racing options that are shaping up to deliver the deepest online racing experience available.

· Players can join in on public races featuring up to 16 players at once with text and voice chat, or host private races with lobbies supporting up to 32 players per lobby.

OTHER FEATURES

· Players who own Gran Turismo PSP and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue can transfer cars unlocked in that game directly to their garage in Gran Turismo 5 for use in Arcade Mode through special cross-talk interoperability.

· Gran Turismo 5 will feature full PSN Trophy support, making players’ accomplishments that much more satisfying.

marchi, i don't want to make it into offtopic and some weird "fight"(because many "fans" of GT games are like raging bulls the moment someone questions anything regarding Gran Turismo games - i learnt my lesson when i asked for opinion if i should get GT4 or Enthusia on ps2 long time ago) but none of it is true.

He made it perfectly clear that what was seen, would require significant enhancements on the Xbox 360 to even come close graphically. You will not find a game on these current series of consoles that even come remotely close to the graphical level of gran turismo, simply because of the way in which PD has optimized the cell processors. It's exactly the same reason why GT4 still looks amazing 6 years on.

"He" as Dan Greenawalt? no, he said clearly that it's their new game engine. second the whole "increadible" graphics of Gran Turismo series is achieved by using a lot of filters, 2d sprites on both background and as models of trees, audience, buildings, grass, parts of tracks etc. the only impressive thing in GT5 graphics is always lightning(unlike in past GT games when "lightning" was basically a texture on the car). add to that also use of one model of the car(which also comes with same statistics and sound) by many different "cars". it was already revealed that in GT5 800cars were simply ported from last game which i think was most famous for it among all Gran Turismo games. i remember there was many car models that were "shared" by 30-50 cars(that was most common with japanese vehicles). there's also is fact of tunning in Forza, lack of it in GT games and the way cars in those games are rendered in games. it would take long time to explain but basically Forza cars are always made in order to fit many different tunning parts, with full damage and fully rendered interiors, undercarriages and exteriors of each car which always ends up lowering overall graphics of the car. Gran Turismo on the other hand have only detailed exteriors, basic cockpit and no damage nor visual tunning. that's the reason why Forza 3 cars while being made from 1mln of polygons looked worse than GT5 cars that have only 400000 polygons. Turn 10 also don't use scanned models for different cars. They scan 2003 Nissan CALSONIC Skyline #12 take it's sound, interiors etc. and that's what we're getting in the game. they're not scanning Nissan Skyline 2003 with its sound and cockpit to make it into 30 Skylines from 2000 to 2005. Forza 3 had 405 cars on disc(if i remember) and there was 405 different cars. GT4 games had almost 800 cars and there was about 170-180 different models of them.

You will find that alot of manufacturers prevent these sim companies for allowing excessive damage to their models how ever physics damage is represented on all cars.

I don't think Polyphony released it in this demo for E3, but its certainly there for the full game.

Turn 10 could do it even with rollovers which is a BIG NO for manufacturers which probably is the reason why many past Forza cars didn't make it into 3rd game. damage is done in games by all of racing game developers just look at what Codemasters is doing. considering how long GT5 was in development size of bluray disc and popularity of the series i doubt manudacturers would say no or that it would take Polyphony long time to make special arrangements.

forza put triple screen in game because you can link xbox thats why you pd doesn't have it that falls on sony not pd

Its done via software, not hardware. PD certainly could have added multi-screen functionality.

I'm not impressed with PD or the GT series. I feel that their take on what makes their sim real is mostly visual. There's simply more to a sim than graphics.

For some who doesn't want to make this into an off topic fight, you really are doing a poor job at that...

That would require a substantial increase in performance of the hardware on the 360 too look like it did :lol:

So the graphics are incredible..... what exactly does anything you've just said, detract from the argument that the graphics have always looked better :lol: If they do it that way then so be it, but it doesn't change the fact.

Of course the actual car graphics in gt5 and prologue are closer to 500,000 polygons per car which is almost double that of Forza 3 hence the reason they can be photographed up to 18 mega pixels.

Show me exactly where that was stated??? Or are you not fully aware that Polyphony recreated every one of those 800+ cars in to the individual pieces so that they would never have to do it again. Gran Turismo 5 is not a rehash like Forza 3 is from Forza 2. In fact the only thing thats carried over from Prologue are some of the car models and the tracks. It's a brand new physics engine with brand new detailing on every single car in the game.

Yes im sure this was never the norm in dealing with car games of a previous generations where space was limited to 7 or 8 gb. :lol: but of course even then the individual models still surpass that of any other game.

I'm not exactly sure what this argument is meant to be given that Gran Turismo has had tuning since the very first copy.

Forza's cosmetic damage is limited by the constraints of manufacturers, hence the reason that you can only rip bumpers off and crack tailights. As for your argument on interiors well try harder, because there is not a thing you can do and say that makes detracts from just how good the interiors are that polyphony have created. In fact some of Forza's interiors are down right hideous in comparison.

No, they are made from 300,000 polygons divided up. GT4 had 800 cars with 600 odd being individual. You really need to go and check your fact book before saying anything. Like the fact that you seem to think that the v8 supercars are individually sound tested, yet some how, every single one shares the same sound and that the four holdens, and the four fords show exactly the same interior respective to each make. Or the fact that the DTM cars sound almost identical to the V8 supercars..... Oh wait, hold on :lol::roll:

When your cars look as good as they do in gran turismo, manufacturers become sceptical of the message that the brand is sending out when people can destroy their lovingly recreated cars. This is also the reason why Ferrari were subject to including their games in Gran Turismo in the first place. As for your codemasters point, most manufacturers don't have a problem when its a racing version of their car, its the production models come into question and i'm yet to see a straight production model of a car in dirt or grid.

When your cars look as good as they do in gran turismo, manufacturers become sceptical of the message that the brand is sending out when people can destroy their lovingly recreated cars. This is also the reason why Ferrari were subject to including their games in Gran Turismo in the first place. As for your codemasters point, most manufacturers don't have a problem when its a racing version of their car, its the production models come into question and i'm yet to see a straight production model of a car in dirt or grid.

Personally I think the "big manufacturers" stance on game simulated damage is silly, after all we live in a modern time, with google and tv, If all people wanted to see was a car smashed to bits all they have to do is type it in on a search engine. As soon as the veyron was released I remember seeing one parked in a ditch, before the Audi R8 V10 was on the market Top Gear showed pics of one that was burnt out in a fire. If they are that concerned they should vet prospective buyers and stop selling to idiots with more cash than driving skills. I've probably seen more totally written off Ferrari's than any other supercar.

forza put triple screen in game because you can link xbox thats why you pd doesn't have it that falls on sony not pd

GT4 is capable of Multiscreens (this guy is using one PS3 and 2 PS2s and i think he worked in some magic code :P). Although im not sure if GT5 will support it, I guess we'll find out at Gamescom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Here is some production car damage

0001111.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some sweet crash action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

There seems to be a lot of negative activity on this board... its just software.

I was worried for a while that it would just be GT5p with just more cars, and minor damage, but some of the features are looking very nice. I really like the idea of using the PS Eye for head tracking. PS eye is much cheaper than a trackIR setup, and it can be used with freetrack on the PC for headtracking of PC sims. As long as it will track forwards and back, then it would illiminate my need for a dashboard camera. It also would be cool if you could put your face on your driver with the camera.

One of the things I'm most happy about seeing is that the old physics are gone, and we now have cars that can actually flip over, instead of looking like they are magnetized to the ground. Now if the damage is more than superficial, then I'll be very happy indeed. I've always hated the "hit a wall at 150mph and the steering pulls slightly off center" damage in games.

I'm still kinda worried, however, about the car list. Is it actually 200+ premium cars, or are wee going to get 30 different Skylines with slightly tweaked engines or liveries, and count that as 30 different cars? I really hope that there are 200+ unique cars available in the premium lineup.

Hope you guys got a chance to check out the physical damage modeling on handling while you were at E3. Can't wait for the E3 report.

Am I the only one who think that the paddle shifting animations look really reallllly bad? The stick shift animation is good and I love the fact that the driver will put his hand on the stick before the actual shift.

The paddle shifting however.... There is absolutely no reason for the driver to anticipate the shifting. That's the whole point of using a paddle shifter is that you don't have to take your hand off the steering wheel to shift. I also think that the actual shift animation is too "pronounced". Normally, you should be able to simply shift with the tip of you fingers while you are holding the wheel without having to move your whole hand.

Anyway, overall this is a minor thing but still, it annoys me everytime I see cockpit view videos.

Dont get me wrong GT5 is going to be awesome and blow every console racer out of the water. But i really hope they havnt put to much emphasis on the graphics i mean 20 tracks isnt that many and i hope the physics are better than Prologue. I mean because they have spent so much effort on graphics i cant help think that the WRC part of the game wont be done properly. What i mean is you need more that 3, 5 minute stages per championship there should be very long stages in different conditions.

Anyway time will tell im so excited for this game. :P