Thoughts on PC2 for Simulation
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Before I purchase PC2 I would like some clarification on what people think about it for simulation, I know they just created new lobbies for more serious racers. It is quite pricey and I could always return it in the steam store but talking to people is always best. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing you on the track :)

3 hours ago, Colin St. Jean said:

Hey Guys,

Before I purchase PC2 I would like some clarification on what people think about it for simulation, I know they just created new lobbies for more serious racers. It is quite pricey and I could always return it in the steam store but talking to people is always best. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing you on the track :)

Greetings Colin! The Good:

I first gave PC2 a very cold reception... That is until I go my sim-vibe software working with it! WOW that sold it for me. I'm running Fanatec CSW 2, HPP Pedals on Obutto Revolution rig with four buttkickers on the corners. The feedback is awesome but without the simvibe portion working, AC, R3E, and iRacing all felt better. But with simvibe, PC-2 offers great feedback and a unique feeling of extreme controllable speed! The feel of the visuals while driving actually gives me more respect for speed and fear of bodily harm that other sim don't match. Combine that with weather, changing conditions and interesting array of vehicles, I'm quite pleased with my purchase! (unlike PC-1, )  I'm ctually finding it hard to find time to revisit my other sims yet!

The so-so:

Some cars feel more realistic than others (though the majority are quite realistic)
A couple road courses are missing off-road sound effects, bumps and offer too much traction if you wind up there.
Mustang GT4 has wrong transmission! Needs sequential option, though I love the H-pattern... needs both!!! :-)
Sometimes there are pronounced flashes, like flashbulbs or lightning that go off for no apparent reason... some are produced by ultra bright back-fires from other cars.

This purchase has turned into a solid YES for me!

As someone who's never liked any of the modern SMS title (until you go back to their interaction with the GTR games)... I'm very impressed with Project CARS 2.  Project CARS was inconsistent all over the place, loads of bugs at launch, and just a game with overall poor performance in many categories.  Project CARS 2 is a huge step ahead, with only minor items that could be patched over time.

Currently Automobilsta is still the physics I believe and connect with the most, but PC2 isn't that far off.  The simplified and updated FFB model in PC2 really helps... I've got it tuned to a point where I'm very happy with it and my OSW.  Triple screen configuration is fine, even though it's odd that you still need to specify the FOV angle manually.  There's only a few cars that could use some real work, mostly the lower class road cars IMO (GT86 feels like garbage).  AI could use a touch more work (especially if you play with a higher aggression\difficulty setting), there's a few small nit picking items (lack of safety car or FCY, off-track grip on ice/snow, and few other little things)... but nothing really game breaking.  With PC2 having more career options (except the lack of custom championships), and the wide variety of weather, and a good selection of core content... I can see PC2 jumping up the list of hours played on my Steam list very quickly.

Haven't tried online yet, but I don't do much online racing my self due to busy family life with young children around.  It may not be 'hardcore', but I'd say it's well worth a buy.

I bought PCARS (first one, which I call PCARS ALPHA), and lost interest in it after about eight hours of "playtime." Yes, it looked great, but the physics were terrible, I didn't care for half an hour or more to set up each car's FF, and they made a lot of mistakes and decisions that just didn't make sense. It was not even close to being something I would consider a "finished product" ready for release... and even after its' "patches" it was still pretty bad.

However, I am impressed with PCARS 2 (what I refer to as Project CARS 1 final release). It's not perfect in every way, but is a VAST improvement over the "alpha" version (PCARS 1). Many of the cars feel very good, and I'm currently having a lot of "fun" that I haven't had with a sim-racing title in a long time.

So far, there's been at least five patches (several of them small "hotfixes"), and I'm hoping in the next couple of months, they'll address the few small flaws I see with the title to make it a "perfect" sim-racing title. ...and that's a lot coming from someone who really enjoys Assetto Corsa.

I don't think it would be a waste of money if you enjoy sim-racing titles. With a good wheel (and even controller apparently), it's a pretty good sim-racing experience. Add in VR, and it's even better. I'm hoping this is an excellent start to something that will improve more as it's patched and updated.

Unfortunately for me, Project CARS 1 FINAL release (PCARS 2) cost me $110--$60 for PCARS (1), and $50 for PCARS 2 (that's with the $10 discount because I owned PCARS 1). I wouldn't say it's worth the $110 I ended up paying (GRRRRR), but $60... yeah, I think it's worth it if you enjoy race cars on road tracks (not oval racing), with a little bit of rally, kart, and ice racing thrown in. ...and I'm sure it will improve, as I've said, with additional patches.

Here's some of my initial test videos...

Edited by ApexVGear

Project Cars 1 had it's problems but I didn't hate it. I got used to it's janky physics and wracked up over 400 hours. The FFB was terrible and most cars stock settings we're abysmal out of the box. The game required a large investment of time just getting everything to feel right, and it was possible. I can understand why many we're put off as it required an unnecessary amount of effort to tease the best out of the game.

Project Cars 2 is a the reverse, SMS has clearly taken onboard the problems that held back the first game. I'm really enjoying the game. When you consider the amount of content and features, this is best bang for buck racing sim on the market.

Pcars2 is pretty Good in IMO.

The Biggest problem with Pcars1 and it seems its going to be the same with Pcars2 is the WMD Members that bought into SMS..  Key words bought into SMS---> many of them Dont Know Much about anything regarding FFB but they wear the WMD Logo on their web site Profile and spread Rubbish about How to tweek Pcars FFB --> people follow them like Sheep instead of thinking for themselves!!!

Pcars1 was a totally open FFB system that proved too complicated for most. --> Pcars2 is a semi open FFB system Both of these FFB systems are designed so that you the user can tune your FFB to your Specific FFB taste and wheel used --> The FFB settings provided by SMS are just a starting point to give you general out the Box FFB that feels reasonably decent... There is No way SMS could have set the FFB to meet every 1's individual FFB taste and when you add the fact that there are many different wheels bei g used the problem of creating FFB that meets every 1's Expectations or Needs is Huge!!!

Just remeber if it feels Good then it is Good!!! Dont be afraid to explore your own FFB options and taste... No one can tell you what feels best for you!

I spent months with pcars1 tweaking the ffb with my t300.  It never really felt good across the board. Some cars would feel good, others not.  That was until I found Jack Spade tweaker files.  After trying out his various ffb files for cars, I found the perfect blend of wheel ffb and car ffb.  Pcars then became my fav sim.  It offered everything in terms of vehicle feedback with excellent graphics.  Now with pcars2, im literally scared to buy it in case it also requires as much time investment as it did with pcars1.  Not sure if Jack Spade has created any tweaker files for pcars2, but if he has definitely use those.  They transformed the game physics for me completely.

1 hour ago, Anthony A. said:

I spent months with pcars1 tweaking the ffb with my t300.  It never really felt good across the board. Some cars would feel good, others not.  That was until I found Jack Spade tweaker files.  After trying out his various ffb files for cars, I found the perfect blend of wheel ffb and car ffb.  Pcars then became my fav sim.  It offered everything in terms of vehicle feedback with excellent graphics.  Now with pcars2, im literally scared to buy it in case it also requires as much time investment as it did with pcars1.  Not sure if Jack Spade has created any tweaker files for pcars2, but if he has definitely use those.  They transformed the game physics for me completely.

Thankfully PC2 is easy to setup compared to PC1. There are new PC2 Jack Spade ffb files, but aren't as necessary as they were before. But it will depend on your wheel. PC2 has much better ffb options and easier to adjust. One other thing, the stock car settings aren't terrible this time, cars are generally nicely balanced.

How does saving car setups work?  Does it save each setup per track like pcars1 or has it become a global setup where you have to save multiple setups and then load them according to which track you select?

5 hours ago, Anthony A. said:

How does saving car setups work?  Does it save each setup per track like pcars1 or has it become a global setup where you have to save multiple setups and then load them according to which track you select?

You can now save and name multiple car setups per track. These can be loaded into other tracks.

Well, my honeymoon with Project CARS 2 (all other sims were ignored since launch) is now over.  It's still lots of fun, and there's no regret of making the purchase.  That said, because of inconsistency with the AI (car to car, track to track, weather changes, etc) I won't be putting in much more time (beyond occasional hot lapping or one off races) until further patches are released.  Thankfully this is being addressed as per Ian Bell on their forum.  Other little things are kind of annoying too... the "automatic tyre choice based on weather" doesn't work (went ice racing, they gave me standard RallyX tyres), the in-ability to fast forward the practice/qualify (not skip to end, as I want to see how my time is standing with 5-10 mins left), and few more.  I do look forward to coming back to try the career more in depth, once most of these are addressed.

Edited by DjFIL

Buster, I have an Obutto Revolution too and am interested in any pictures or details you can share about how you setup your simvibe!

what all did you order and from where?

extra sound cards? Amplifiers? Which ones?

Mounting and wiring? Software settings?

I'm new to the PC gaming as I just switched over from PS4 so any insight you can share to help shorten my learning curve will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!