Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need For Speed: Shift

123 posts in this topic

I done a lot of track time in SHIFT ;) . There are so many little things that some might have not noticed. Not all the crowd is programmed to react the same 100% of the time with the same animations. For example, there is a man standing in what looks like a black suit at the last turn of Brands Hatch before the straight for the start/finish line. Thu most of the race if you cut the corner you will see him with his hands crossed over his chest. If you are leading the race near the end of race he will be waving his hands in the air as if all excited...your team owner :?:

I have a question about car upgrades. Does anyone know or can point me to information on have car rating corresponds to car class? Ok here is where I am going. I got a Porsche Cayman S which was originally rated at 7.something. I dumped a bunch upgrades to it and boosted rating to 11. When I tried a quick race with it I was smoked by AIs I mean I was not even in the same balk with them. Then I wen back and removed some of the upgrades and left my car at rating 8.75. No back to the same track and I was able to win it. Did I moved my car to different class by boosting the rating to 11? and If I did, how do I know where class boundaries are?

Did some racing online last night and noticed the different car rating options. There was no real logical sequence but something like rating 4, 6, 10, 11 etc. No other ratings were available to choose from. Not sure if the offline is set up the same but I noticed I was faster with certain cars that have lower ratings so I'm not sure how much weight the ratings hold when your within a point or so, more about the feel and the comfort of driving the model.

On another note I ran into a guy last night with over 3 million pts andc 2,300 online races!

Starting to be able to add works to some cars; Have a G27 wheel so which button is for nitro?

I don't think there is nitro on WORK's cars. The game makes you purchase all the upgrades before the WORK's conversion. No nitro on works cars since they are suppose to be race cars.

For PC version. Explains which cars, upgrades, and basic tunings to use for 4.0, 6.0, 10.0, 14.0 and unrestricted online events. Also includes a completed savegame (all offline badges) with the cars upgraded and tuned as shown in the guide.

http://rcgldr.net/nfss/nfss.zip

General comments:

Although not the fastest, the works Z06 seems to be the most realistic of the faster cars in the game, at least in terms of it's tendency to oversteer or spin out if excessive throttle is used. There's something like a hidden assist on other cars like the Zonda R that reduces (but not eliminate) the tendency to spin out, even with all assists off. The Zonda R and works LP640 (Murcielago), now that it's fixed with patch 1.02, are the two fastest cars in the game. The Zonda R with low (or zero) downforce for the faster tracks, the LP640 with high downforce for the shorter tracks. The Zonda R is fastest when a lot of oversteer is used, this is best seen at Willow Springs, where turn 2 can be take flat out with the car essentially drifting through the turn.

There seems to be some PC system sensitivity affecting game play, resulting in more grip and/or less bouncing depending on a players system, based on observation from various youtube videos.

A couple of videos:

Zonda R at Willow Springs by zx12rcr:

works Viper at Silverstone GP:

Anyone still play NFS Shift? I found myself playing it a lot lately. Today's online race left me puzzled though. I have

LP640 (the works) car rates at 18.85! So I go online and see this guy with in the same Lambo. I am thinking ok this should be interesting. I have every bit available in my car so I think the race will be at least close. Not a chance! Guy just smoked me on a strait line! All I saw is his tail lights! I mean I tried to catch up on turns for a bit but on a strait line this guy in the same car left me in a dust. And I start thinking, how that can possibly be? 2 identical cars, mine has everything available and yet other car just outperform mine like if I would drive some very low grade car. Just not even in the same bulk! Is it tuning? I do not know much about it so I did not mess around there. Did I put something in my car that actually degraded its performance? Any ideas?

I found an answer to my question. After you do ALL available upgrades there is one more option called 'the works' That get my car to 20.99! Wow what a beast. Road America 2.3.xxx sec! And I see where I can squeeze more. Not that I am trying to beat the time shown in video, but getting close.

Hi. Great thread for a great, but at times very frustrating game. Can anyone post their G27 wheel settings plus their game settings i.e. steering/brake/acceleration sensitivity etc...please?

Have tried allsorts lately, but due to the time lag I have found the the low wheel rotation angle i.e. 200 degrees is better for controlling these cars. 900 is good though but if you get in a spin you will find it hard to recover.

Thanks.

Hi. Great thread for a great, but at times very frustrating game. Can anyone post their G27 wheel settings plus their game settings i.e. steering/brake/acceleration sensitivity etc...please?

Have tried allsorts lately, but due to the time lag I have found the the low wheel rotation angle i.e. 200 degrees is better for controlling these cars. 900 is good though but if you get in a spin you will find it hard to recover.

Thanks.

I've just started playing again since I upgraded my pc so it will run real smooth :P . Do you use v-sync? I know this makes graphics very smooth but I know in iRacing and rFactor it causes controller lag. I've not checked my times yet to see myself if v-sync is harder to drive with. I have my G27 set on 360 right now. Default settings in the game. Just been having fun mostly :lol: . I'll try to update and keep and eye on this thread for any info. Don't know where else to look for info :| .

I've just started playing again since I upgraded my pc so it will run real smooth :P . Do you use v-sync? I know this makes graphics very smooth but I know in iRacing and rFactor it causes controller lag. I've not checked my times yet to see myself if v-sync is harder to drive with. I have my G27 set on 360 right now. Default settings in the game. Just been having fun mostly :lol: . I'll try to update and keep and eye on this thread for any info. Don't know where else to look for info :| .

Great. Hey what does the v-sync actually do? Have you found it makes the lag worse? Have just got my sim rig set up so with the greater steering stability I'll give the 360 degrees a shot tonight and see how it feels.

Great. Hey what does the v-sync actually do? Have you found it makes the lag worse? Have just got my sim rig set up so with the greater steering stability I'll give the 360 degrees a shot tonight and see how it feels.

I set mine back down to 270*. Feels about like what the game is made for. V-sync is where the graphics are held at your refresh rate. For an LCD monitor, it is 60mhz. So that is 60 fps. BUT, this causes controller lag issues. Some systems are worse than others. iRacing warns of this in the graphics setup menu and I've read about it and even experience this myself. When I use v-sync when racing rFactor, I can not make laps as fast as I can with v-sync turned off. I have faught against this because I LOVE to run with v-sync on, because with v-sync on, the graphics are buttery smooth. Smooth as silk (as long as your computer is powerfull enough to handle it). But it does cause the controller to lag behind a few milliseconds. I guess fast guys get used to it, but my reflexes are not fast enough to react in real time much less ahead of time :lol: .

Nogrip seems to be the home of NFS Shift mods and info. Check it out:

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=134

Hi Matt. Downloaded the mod - it's great!! The only problem is that the high tier works cars are really difficult to handle without the rear end slipping out. Compared to the other cars, this step seems a little too much. Have you had the same thing? What did you do to resolve it?

Cheers.

Mark.