Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need For Speed: Shift

123 posts in this topic

Dust of my 360 and the semi (wobbly and shift paddles dead) broken MS wheel and DL'd FM3, SHIFT and Dirt2 demos.

FM3 with the crappy MS Wheel just felt slow and the cars floated. No stearing/tire feel. If I rem I had more with FM2, but then if could be that I am use to using a G25 with its FFB on the PC. Maybe is the MS wheel now totally dying.

SHIFT felt fast at SPA in the demo, but again cars felt loose. Again prob the MS Wheel.

Dirt2 was the most fun of the demo's since it didn't matter if the cars felt loose or not since they are sliding all over the place anyway :D .

None of the demo's seem to have any tire/road feel. Never felt if the tires were gripping, had to depend on sound to give clues as for tire slip. Feel the FFB from the curbs and rub strips, just no stearing/tire feel. Steering just felt like over powered spower steer from the days of old. No vibration when tire are slipping only the audio. That can prob be attributed to the MS wheel :?: .

Maybe the demo's and games would be diff with the Fanatec wheel, thats when I get it, hopefully soon :roll: .

If you are basing your impression of SHIFT on the 360 then its not really the same as it is on the PC. I don't know about the PS3 with a G25, I do not have a PS3 (yet).

Ooooops. Did I loose something :?::?::?:

SHIFT2009-10-2313-46-33-78.jpg

SHIFT2009-10-2313-46-54-33.jpg

SHIFT2009-10-2313-47-14-61.jpg

Won a 10 lap race at SPA on three wheels ... LOL. Running with a bunch of game mod's for SHIFT PC.

It was graphics glitch. Started the race with the wheel graphic missing. Uploading Youtube vid now... :D

You can actually see the suspension in some of the pics...not just an empty black space where the wheel shld have been.

ADD1: the missing wheel graphic was only in replay. I tried some more races and during the replay while in the race the graphics are fine. Just after you finish when you want to replay the race, thats when the graphics get missing. In one replay I was missing the left wheel and the hood right of at the start of the race in the replay. Its seem the last Limted Tire Smoke mod did it.

Do wheels actually come off during gameplay ?

Yes wheels can off. Basically if you get in a major accident it can end your race. But it really have to be a biggie. Thats with the basic game. With some mods like real damage, any ding can put a real hurt on the car. Not really usable VS AI since they will ding you and you are pretty well out of competitive racing form. Most damage will be to the steering. With real damage mod, in one race I had steering pull to one side but was still drivable I thght. On the last lap when I thght I would win, my car came to a complete stop when the engine died :shock: . There are other mods that are less sever on damage but which are still greater then the stock. Kind of weird having to dodge dead AI cars and car parts on the track...where is the yellow and tow trucks :D

Note that the missing wheel was just a graphics glitch in the replay. The wheel was there during the race. I re ran many more races to confirm. Replay during the race the wheels (and hood in another race) was present but after race replay, some items were missing. Not sure which mod/skin is doing it yet.

Here are some pics of the hood-less (bonnet-less for the Brits) Vette glitch. Get to see the engine detail without a damaged front end... ;)

SHIFT2009-10-2415-21-54-75.jpg

SHIFT2009-10-2415-22-10-26.jpg

SHIFT2009-10-2415-22-35-59.jpg

The Vette has always been probm in SHIFT even the stock. The Vette some time would not start/move on the grid, when in cockpit mode the rear view on the mirror is reversed and I just found out the right side mirror image is also reversed (using tri monitors with ATI Eyefinty testing).

I am just wondering....do I still need a CAI with that setup.... :lol:. A [email protected] on the areo tho ;) .

The Bad Boy Vette skins are courtesy of daftboy. Get his skins at http://www.nogripracing.com/index.php but you will have to reg to get access to the downloads.

GT1

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=23260

GT2

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=23259

latest vers have Michelin tires replacing the KUMO's as requested.

Bad Boy Home site

http://badboyvettes.com/album?a=Richard ... &backnum=0

I tried diff combo of mods and still have some graphics glitches. I do not rem getting them when I was using a Nvidia 295 vid card. Only seem to have notice them after I started to use the ATI 5870. Will have to look into that next week. I know ATI has some issues with SHIFT.

My "El Camino" Vette

Some of the graphics glitches are getting hilarious .... :lol:

SHIFT2009-10-2502-48-15-51.jpg

SHIFT2009-10-2502-49-52-51.jpg

SHIFT2009-10-2502-50-14-17.jpg

SHIFT2009-10-2502-50-13-24.jpg

SHIFT2009-10-2502-49-29-06.jpg

BTW it was missing the left front wheel also but I thght the El Camino pics were more funny :lol: .

I seem to be only having this issue with these Badboy GT1 vettes. I Contacted the skin author to see if he did something diff between the GT1 and the GT2 skins since I have no probms with the GT2 one.

daftboy has added the Flying Lizard Porsche to the NFS Shift skins

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=23296

I also asked him if he could work on an ALMS BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team M3.

Too bad there are no playable Ferrari's in the game. But if you unpack the pakfiles folder and inside the vehicles folder you find these Ferrari folders 599, California, F50GT, F430, F430GTC and SuperAmerica. I guess EA never got the official OK from Ferrari.

Also for those who want a challenge racing the AI in a quick race, in race select 5-8 AI cars. This will be very competitive since the lead cars will run away fast at the start and the AI do not crash into each other that often. Too many AI cars just means a lot of crashes. I never run more then 12 cars total.

ADD: comcerning the car hopping that some mention in the faster cars. I get none of that with the mods applied and a well setup car. See the vid in NFS Shift mod section on the Flying Lizard Porsche skin mod. No bouncing.

Hi, I've been watching the show for a while and I registered on the forums just because I wanted to say a few things about NFS: Shift. I was really apprehensive about buying it when I heard the sim we all put our hopes on SMS of making wasn't really a sim, but I think that was more of a generalized statement and I just believed it too much. Then the PC demo comes out, and that was literally one of the worst demos I've ever played. I could not drive the car and the AI kept driving directly into me. But no matter how many times I lost (or restarted) I saw it as a challenge...a masochistic challenge but I realized I couldn't stop playing this bad demo because it was fun! So I went out the next day and bought the game.

I still haven't installed any mods yet, and am just playing it vanilla. The first thing I did was put the slider to full over steer because of the slider bug, and it definitely gave the car more grip. The next thing I did was minimize my 718 degrees on my G25 to 522 degrees. You guys said you thought the steering was detached but I didn't feel that way. I think the force feedback is great. I also realized that unlike most racing simulators, Shift lets you buy parts and some of those really change the handling. I feel inclined to give the physics more of a try and try all the different parts before I get a realism mod. All I know, truthfully, is the graphics are changing the way I look at sims like GTR2 and rFactor. It may have those extra track objects but I believe the graphics are the strongest component of this game. Just check out some of the screenshots I took. I've owned this car for years and playing Shift I feel completely immersed.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/DynographK/SS34557.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/DynographK/SS35023.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/DynographK/SS35157.jpg

This game doesn't run at 60 fps on my system. It looked great but didn't feel right, turns out I get like 30-40 fps. The numbers I've seen of people with much better setups don't do much better.

I set the graphics as low as they go and I only got 40-45, not a huge increase like I see in every other title.

I've got a core2duo and a 9800GTX+, this thing runs full fields in ARCA with the override settings in the nvidia panel practically maxed out and I get over 60fps. I know its not top of the line but I should still be able to hit a consistent 60fps by dropping the settings.

I don't know how you can make a halfway serious racing game that doesn't run at 60 fps.

This game doesn't run at 60 fps on my system. It looked great but didn't feel right, turns out I get like 30-40 fps. The numbers I've seen of people with much better setups don't do much better.

I set the graphics as low as they go and I only got 40-45, not a huge increase like I see in every other title.

I've got a core2duo and a 9800GTX+, this thing runs full fields in ARCA with the override settings in the nvidia panel practically maxed out and I get over 60fps. I know its not top of the line but I should still be able to hit a consistent 60fps by dropping the settings.

I don't know how you can make a halfway serious racing game that doesn't run at 60 fps.

My sim rig is a C2D e8400 @ 4.28 Win7 64u

4 gig mem

Example FPS of Vid cards that I used with SHIFT.

Nvidia

295 ~120+fps

8800GTX SLI'd ~90fps

280 ~80fps

ATI

5870 ~70fps

Eyefinity tri monitor with 5870 ~40-50fps (5760x1080)

at 1920x1080 with 2AA. All others settings max'd out.

Big update on the way:

From the official NFS forums.

NEW CONTENT/FUNCTIONALITY

- Increased the maximum number of online players from 8 to 12

BUG FIXES - CROSS-PLATFORM

- General game stability and performance improvements

- Improved car handling

- Fix for issue where some cars would bounce on their suspension during high load situations

- Fix for grass sometimes being displayed out of position

- Fix for intermittent incorrect driver duel results

- Fix for inverted balance slider operation

- Fix for online wins and losses occasionally being calculated incorrectly for drift races

- Fixed issue where loaned career car would inherit the player's career car tuning settings

- Fixed various usability issues with the advanced tuning screens

- Fixed lap timing for first lap of rolling start events

- Fixed car tuning settings sometimes not taking effect

- Fix to prevent rewinding past the start of instant replays

- Fixed car livery occasionally appearing all white during driver duel events

- Fixed incorrect screens being shown when player is disqualified

- Fix for occasional invisible opponents appearing during online drift events

- Fix for intermittent hang when skipping quickly through post-race screens

- Fix for intermittent hang when pressing X repeatedly in My Cars screen

- Fix for missing race groove on point-to-point tracks

- Prevented car livery resetting to default after an online race

- Fix for advanced tuning not staying unlocked on reload

- Fixed invitational event cars getting their setups corrupted and becoming undrivable (e.g. Veryon and Carrera GT)

- Fix for Lamborghini's having a low top speed when upgraded

- Fix for Corvette Z06 and Dodge Viper not able to move at the start of some events

- Fix for some upgraded AI cars bottoming out causing some instability over bumps

- Fix upgrade menu bug

- Fix for a force feedback strength settings save bug

- Fix multi-player settings for AI opponents and drift mode

- Fix for vinyls being incorrectly applied on rear wing

- Fix for a hang in lobby when accessing friend's list from car select

- Fix for profile load bug which skips save select menu when holding down Enter key

- Fix for jumping body parts when car resets

PC SPECIFIC

- Improved ATi graphics card support

- Improved dynamic vertex buffer usage (performance optimization on all PCs)

- Fixed crashes on certain PC configurations when changing shadow settings

- Fixed intermittent crash during first lap of races on certain PC configurations

- Disabled forced dampening for custom wheel presets on PC

- Optimized multi-GPU PC operation

- Fix for intermittent missing surface sounds on certain PC configurations

- Fix for intermittent black skies

- Fix for LAN menu hang for client when host quickly returns to main menu

Holy [email protected] detail in the cockpit is just outstanding. I been driving the works cars for so long I'd forgotten how good the other cockpits look and the amount of detail they simulate. I went back to a stage 3 Vette and notice the digital odometer actually functions and gives readings... :shock:

But saddly the stage 3 vette is just non competative vs the AI cars (supercars and works).

Got my new PS3 and Logitech G27 all setup and playing NFS Shift. Not very good yet but having fun trying to figure it all out. Have not had a console or played games with any regularity since Atari 2600.

Just a heads up, if you plan on playing SHIFT on the PC and want decent frame rates do not use ATI cards. They just do not perform well in SHIFT. I been doing a lot of testing between various Nvidia cards vs the new top of the line ATI 5870 and the older 4870 and the latter two cards perfmance are not great when you start to race with 10 or more AI in the quick races esp if you applied mod's. I been prev testing with 5 AI cars and that seem fine but the min I went to 9 AI and me, at many spots on the track, there are def frame rate issues with dropped frames and stutter and average ~40-50fps in those situations. When I use Nvida cards even the 280, I do not get the stutter. With the 295 it was silky smooth up to the max AI cars. I been testing 5870 Eyefinity mainly with just one car....me, and had no major issues but I would hate to have to run a race with a lot of AI cars. Maybe its the typical ATI driver issues :x. I am going to test some more and replace the e8400 @ 4.28 system with an i7-920 @ 4.0 and see if its a CPU bottle neck. But from various postings this seems to be an ATI GPU performance issue in SHIFT and not CPU related.

From jasonb's post above, it looks like the upcoming patch will have ATI specific optimizations.

Maybe you can wait for that before upgrading...

From jasonb's post above, it looks like the upcoming patch will have ATI specific optimizations.

Maybe you can wait for that before upgrading...

I do not plan on spending any $$$ on upgrading. I just have all this stuff lying aroung that I can use. I use to build custom systems for pple and now I am their support for their systems and upgrades.