Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need For Speed: Shift

123 posts in this topic

Hmm, I still don't know what to think about this game after having played through the whole PC demo. Like some of you stated, the FFB feels "mushy" or delayed, especially if you kick the rear end out on corner exit in the BMW E90. You feel a slow, soft snap back in the wheel almost a full second after you've recovered from the slide. It definitely took me a while to adjust to it, before I was finally able to get all the stars in both races and unlock the Zonda.

I will say this: the cockpits are beautifully done, especially the instrument lighting. At this point, I'm not sure whether to pony up and get the PC version. Compared to the other sims I currently drive (iRacing, rFactor, and the SimBin titles), I really can't put it in the same league as them. The PS3 version is on sale this week at Best Buy for $39.99 AND I'd be able to use my G25 with it, but I think I'd probably have more fun playing online via XBox LIVE with the XBox360 version (using my MS XBox360 wheel). So, $40 for the PS3 version, $50 for the PC version, or the full $60 for the XBox360 version... Opinions?

OK a weird thing in SHIFT. The rear view mirror image is reversed :x . Cars and objects that are on the left appear on the right side and vise versa in the rear mirror. The side mirror is fine.

The so call NFS world series races...nothing special. The AI is the same as what they are in the higher tier levels. :roll:

Just finished the first NFS WS races championship. Won series with just one 2nd and won all the rest. Just have to survive the 1st lap. Then its pretty easy to chase down the lead cars in most cases. The hardest thing is running out of laps so you have to be at least 5th after the 1st lap to have any chance. :)

The real PITA is that once you are committed to a race series then you have to run the whole series in one sitting. No saving between series races. That means you drive what you bring, no between race tuning to match next race/track. 8-)

When 1st releases I tried online , was not impressed. Actually online is not too bad now. The only probm is that the first two races I was in I didn't realise I had to choose a car or was limited to what I had to choose from and ended up being last :) . Then I had the start line non start issue :roll: and the final race was where two cars wouldn't start in front of me on the grid :x . Then the next track was that figure 8 crash track :roll: . So I left. :ugeek:

I just applied more of the mods.

The newer AI less aggressive mod does not mean easier. They just do not crash and bang much. I'd ended up being the banger when I couldn't stop fast enuf. The AI is actually harder to race vs now since they become running road blocks in many instances.

The new more realistic damage mod. Now it will affect you cars performance a fair bit. I was tailed ended and after my car pull left all the time. Hit a side wall also have major effects. Damage is now a major concern.

The Remove bling mod. That is suppose to remove most of the non race eye candy from the game such a planes, helo etc. Hoping this would improve frames more but since the added AI drivers from the non aggressive mod now has dropped my frame rates down.

The realistic mod, now the cars do not oversteer as much as they did before. Means I have to re-tune some of my cars.

Prev I added the less motion blur/shake inside the cockpit mod. Used the middle setting mod.

Looking like a decent game coming out of SHIFT.

Looks like some of these mods are GTR (ISI) based.

Now just more new cars and tracks.

i recently bought shift for the ps3 an to be honest im a bit disappointed in it. don't get me wrong i wasn't expecting it to be a "sim" racing game but it seems to have kept the same kind of physics as most other NFS games in that almost every mistake you make can ether be fixed by planting your foot to the floor an powering out of it or slamming your brakes on an then just power siding out of trouble. as for the AI it seems that you pc guys are having the same problems, for example i unlocked the Bugatti veyron invitation at Nordschleife an found that on some of the faster turns the AI wold just go round flat out,run wide hit the barriers an just pull straight back on to the track 9 times out of 10 ramming straight in to you and if you back off to stay out there way the ones behind you just run in to the back of you at full speed. the only way i managed to finish it was to drive like a maniac for the first 5 corners an just smash them out the way till i got the lead lol. also the force feed back an steering aint to good i have gt prologue an grid for ps3 an with my logitech driving force gt the steering feels pretty good an in grid you seem to be able to feel the grip in your tyres, but in shift it just feels dead when you turn unless you maby clip a rumble strip also it some times feels like the steering just stops, like u might be in a long wide turn an you constantly need to kind of flick the steering as if you are getting loads of understeer which kind of makes you drift the back of the car out all the time. that been said messing about with my aerodynamics helped but the steering still seems to give out at times lol . but despite all this it is still a pretty good game the graphics are maby not as shiny as gt prologue but easily on par with grid/dirt, and as for the in car view its probably one of the best i have ever seen in a PlayStation game in my opinion it is way better than any other ps3 game that i have played including gtp, and the tracks are good as well loads of variety especially Nordschleife and laguna seca. online mode is int the best as setting up games is a pain because when you host a room an invite your team mates as soon as the first person joins a counter starts (even in unranked rooms) so its a mad dash to send out invites an hope everyone joins before the timer runs out or they get locked out from the room lol. over all i wold say it is still a pretty good game but if you where one of the guys who got pissed off with NFS when pro street came out then then you don't want this and if you want a more sim based game then gt prologue is probably for you but if you are a grid or dirt fan then you will probably love this :twisted:

Picked-up the PS3 version of this title on day one and I find it "cute". The graphics and sounds are nice but the sim part is just nowhere near GT5P. It is still worth the cost just to tide me over until GT5 drops.

I been playing a lot with the mods. The PC realistic damage mod would be great for LAN play but vs the AI is a real probm. On fast race tracks like SPA it can be fun, but when you get into tracks that are tighter where the AI does a lot of banging. Then it gets frustrating in that almost every bang, you will get damaged. Most common is the steering. Once you get damage you might as well restart since there is no way you can compete. Realistic, yes but almost unplayable vs the AI.

I tried sitting back at the start just to let the AI wreck at the 1st corner but that didn't work for me because the (poll sitters) lead cars will pull away since they usually have a clean track in front of them. Many of the races are short (4-5 laps) you don't have enuf time to catch up. Also any little bang it seems you will get damaged. So if you get into a knife fight with the lead cars, you have to be very conscious of damage. The AI do get realistic damage also. In one race I lapped a damage AI car to find it stalled in the middle of the corner on the next lap around. I dodged it but the car following didn't. Took out the car that was chasing me...LOL

Well one thing consoles don't have to worry about much...HDD failure :twisted: . Well I just lost all my NFS Shift stuff when my HDD decided to act up (will not boot after I swicthed out vid card). So I installed Win7 64 ultimate RTM instead of WinXP. Now trying to get all my drivers back...I guess I will not be racing SHIFT for a while. But I did save some of my game profiles but they are real old. I was up to level 38 and just lost most of it.

Reinstalled and now only at level 17... :(

Boy the flood gates are about to open for SHIFT mods. Tools are now downloadable from Nogrip site. Just saw the 1st car skin for SHIFT (BMW) and some more performance mod files... :D

Well one thing consoles don't have to worry about much...HDD failure :twisted: . Well I just lost all my NFS Shift stuff when my HDD decided to act up (will not boot after I swicthed out vid card). So I installed Win7 64 ultimate RTM instead of WinXP. Now trying to get all my drivers back...I guess I will not be racing SHIFT for a while. But I did save some of my game profiles but they are real old. I was up to level 38 and just lost most of it.

Reinstalled and now only at level 17... :(

Hate to break it to you but the 360 uses a laptop hdd and the ps2 used a 3.5" hdd. Not sure what they are putting in the ps3 but money says its probably a 3.5" hdd. To be honest I would rather have a hdd failure than red rings of death.

Hate to break it to you but the 360 uses a laptop hdd and the ps2 used a 3.5" hdd. Not sure what they are putting in the ps3 but money says its probably a 3.5" hdd. To be honest I would rather have a hdd failure than red rings of death.

PS3 uses a standard laptop sized HDD.

I know the consoles have HDD's.

360 ROD is another matter tho. But I been lucky. I have an original release 360 and it been fine. But then I do not use it much. I use it when I 1st got it and played a lot of Forza2 with it until the MS wheel crapped out after 2 months. Also had to use the the orginal Xbox for Forza (1) tho since the xbox emulation for Forza on the 360 was choppy. Kept the original xbox just for Forza (1) :ugeek: .

Its just too bad the mod's right now do not work for the consoles. The mods may make SHIFT into a good PC sim further down the road... ;)

The mod tools are now posted at NoGrip site along with some mods and cars. The game def is based on the ISI engine since many of the mods are GTR/rFactor based.

Now just need some mod'r to convert some cars and tracks from GTR/rFactor to Shift.

I think that shift is just a shit, because Shift loks like Grid and Grid is not a sim, so Shift isn't a sim either. The only thing i like about it is its cockpit view, that you can tweak interion a lot and every gadge works (not like in Forza 3 the HP meter is showing 1001 hp even when you are stopped). ;)

i think i'm changing my opinion on NFS Shift. i gave it a lot of time. i spent a lot of hours playing it and although it was a good attempt i have a lot of issues with it. the physics just don't feel quite right, and the game has TONS of bugs in it.

i picked up a used copy of GT4 for PS2 today and i am liking it a whole lot more. sure it's not as pretty, but it feels so much better.

shift physics are ok with mods, but its not a racing simulator, races usually have pit stops and qualifying/practicing, i dont like cheap racing events.

races are not just about high speed and sim racing is not just about how the car feels comparing to real life, see im not defending shift...

I was very suprised when i played the demo of Need For Speed SHIFT becuse it was actually...good. The last good Need For Speed title before SHIFT was Hot Pursuit 2 back in 2002! Ever since Underground it's got worse and worse and worse.

Good job EA now keep it up!!

For those who are interested in the mods for NFS Shift here are two sites

1st one will provide you with some of the tools required to run the mods and some mods.

http://www.nfs-planet.de/nfsshift_files.php?lang=eng

2nd will provide skins and mods but you have do some search since they do not have a dedicated NFS Shift section (yet?). Have a great selection of other ISI based game stuff tho like rFactor and GTR series.

http://www.nogripracing.com/index.php

3rd site

http://forum.racedepartment.com/dlcat-n ... -shift-68/

I hope SRT review will mention the mods. Mods almost makes it a diff game then what comes out of the box.

Hi Tinker,

We will mention the mods, but most owners of Shift will never get to try them since they will be racing on a PS3 or XBox 360. The mods won't effect the way we score it.

Thanks for the links.

Darin

For those who are interested in the mods for NFS Shift here are two sites

1st one will provide you with some of the tools required to run the mods and some mods.

http://www.nfs-planet.de/nfsshift_files.php?lang=eng

2nd will provide skins and mods but you have do some search since they do not have a dedicated NFS Shift section (yet?). Have a great selection of other ISI based game stuff tho like rFactor and GTR series.

http://www.nogripracing.com/index.php

3rd site

http://forum.racedepartment.com/dlcat-n ... -shift-68/

I hope SRT review will mention the mods. Mods almost makes it a diff game then what comes out of the box.

Hi Tinker,

We will mention the mods, but most owners of Shift will never get to try them since they will be racing on a PS3 or XBox 360. The mods won't effect the way we score it.

Thanks for the links.

Darin

Thats too bad since most of the console pple seem just interested in FM3 or GT5. They don't really see anything else that may be fun. The PC ver with mods has some potential that the consoles do not. Maybe the PC vers is not the most realistic sim even with the mods but its really a lot fun. Had some pple over the other night to test out the new buttkicker. Two had console vers of SHIFT, now they are getting the PC vers. They really liked the mods. But then thats what happens with cross platform games in general. Many PC vers do not get a fair shake since the consoles vers are what is grabbing the attention even tho in some cases the PC ver is better. But not always tho, there are some really bad console ports to PC too.

ADD: I am not anti console. I will be getting FM3 when it comes out, just hope I will get my Fantec Turbo S wheel soon so I can run FM3 this year :roll: . Maybe get a PS3 when GT5 comes out when ever that will be.

ADD2: concerning mods. The SHIFT mod'rs have to get together on how to deliver their mods. Some are packed and some are unpacked. The pack ones have always worked for me, just move a few files into the appropriate Dir in SHIFT. I could never get the unpacked ones to run. After I unpack the SHIFT game, it fails to run (Win7 64u) even with a pure install of the original with and without the SHIFT update. Also with the unpacked game, when ever an official update comes you will have to re-install the original from disc or a backup to apply it then go thru the whole process of doing the unpack and installing the unpacked mods. IMO the best is would be just packed mods. Just too bad right now since there are some real nice SHIFT skins, but they are all unpacked, I just can not get SHIFT to run when its unpacked using the -loose parameter.