Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logitech Drive FX (Xbox360 wheel), is it any good?

7 posts in this topic

I might get a Xbox360 since my family like kinect very much but I'm a bit concern about my racing enthusiast.

Does anyone here has any experience with this wheel? Is it any good? How does it compare to... let's say Xbox360 wireless wheel? Last but not least how is force feedback? does it deliver traction, grip level and damper effect or only rumble? I understand it's no G27 but with this kind of price tag it's more value than Xbox360 wheel and more interesting than Mad Catz's junk.

Also I'd love to see Inside Sim Racing review it in your show someday (if you can manage to find one though).

Thanks a bunch.

I have one. It mostly just rumbles and seems to have a centering spring effect. It does not have force feedback, just axial feedback, whatever that is. It feels nothing like a force feedback wheel, though. Some people say they consistently get faster lap times with it over the MS wheel, but I don't like it. I don't have the MS wheel to compare to. It has 200 degrees of rotation, some sensitivity settings, and a xbox button. When I use it I turn the rumble and FFB settings in Forza 3 all the way down so the wheel has only a strong centering spring, none of the ruble effects. The pedals are the same as the old formula force pedals and they suck, bad. Much worse than the DFP/DFGT pedals. I figure it is better built than the MS wheel, and from what I have read I would choose it over the MS wheel just because if you're going to have a crappy wheel, might as well pay less for it and have one that will work longer than 6 months.

hey beaver, i was in the same boat you are in just about 2 months ago. i wanted a steering wheel for my racing games. you have about 5/6 choices with the 360. I did quite a bit of research before making my decision so ill share with you what i learned. 1st, you have the Logitech Drive FX which you were asking about, you can get one from ebay for around $100 or less usually, but you already said you didnt like that it didnt have force feedback so that takes care of the 2nd & 3rd options which are both Madcatz. Also while im thinking of it I believe Logitech made it but theres a #88 Dale JR. steering wheel that i saw a few reviews and videos for, couldnt find one for sale anywhere so idk. Ok 5th, the wireless microsoft wheel(the wheel i ended up with). On ebay or amazon you are looking at spending $75-over $200 for this one. Ive been using it for almost 2 months, i paid $97 with shipping on ebay and its a great wheel (my 1st, so dont really have comparisons) and fairly well made too. The force feedback is pretty strong and just makes racing games so much more fun. 6th, the big kahuna...the Fanatec Porsche wheel that is compatible with 360, ps3 and pc. for a basic setup wheel shifters and basic pedals you're looking at $350, $500 if you want the fancy clubsport pedals. if you have the money id go for this option. you will have to preorder it and wait at least a month before you get it but it'll be worth it im sure. the only thing stopping me from getting it is the talk of new systems already, id hate to get this and not be able to use with the new xbox or playstation. good luck hunting cause if you have a 360 thats exactly what you'll be doing.

The axial feedback is basically like rumble on a controller.

I got my start on the Drive FX, but it's a very limited wheel.

I absolutely didn't like it on Forza 3, but it did alright for me

in Richard Burns Rally on pc.

But for a game like Forza (imo), it doesn't have enough rotation.

... Ok 5th, the wireless microsoft wheel(the wheel i ended up with). On ebay or amazon you are looking at spending $75-over $200 for this one. Ive been using it for almost 2 months, i paid $97 with shipping on ebay and its a great wheel (my 1st, so dont really have comparisons) and fairly well made too. The force feedback is pretty strong and just makes racing games so much more fun.

You did mention it's your first but the Microsoft Wireless feels too much like the first generation of Logitech ffb wheels. It's not very well made either compared to other wheels which is probably why Microsoft stopped manufacturing them. If there was a X360 version of DFGT I would seriously recommended to avoid this wheel at all cost.

I post this to warn of all the wheels I own, the X360 Wireless wheel would be the one I would fear the most to buy used (more likely to break down).

Some people really like the MS wheel, but since your only options are a used one and there is no warranty, I will stay away. The DriveFX seems to be well built, but it does kind of suck. I always wanted to try it with F1 2010, since it might work well with that game. But I actually prefer the controller over that wheel with Forza, just because the inconvience is not worth it.

There is also the XCM adapter, but I don't know how well it works. Most games are not setup on the 360 for 900 rotation, so it might be weird. I have always wanted to see a test with the DFP in 200 degree mode, or a momo black to see if it works well that way. I believe the momo has the same amount of rotation as the MS wheel, so it might be just right.