Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt 3 / Wheel FF

45 posts in this topic

I'm about halfway through the dirt3 career on a fanatec gt2 on my xbox and what I noticed is that the car seem to push adhering to racing lines by braking right rather than dirt 2 which had a wonderful drift/slide feel that encouraged you to use the scandanavian flick around bends. That's probably the biggest difference I have noticed. It disappointing in a rally game and seems like a casual user friendly decision as dirt 2 was quite hard for a lot if people ( I thought it was just right personally).

With the fanatec gt2 if you are having troubles drifting there is a drifting setting on the wheel itself that should help. I love the fanatec but seriously they should have included a better manual, I had to find the online one to make full use of the wheel and alt tabbing to check my PC setup in game was a bit frustrating. Ended up printing the full manual out!

I was a huge fan of Dirt 2 and played that one to death with my Fanatec PWTS. I thought the FFB felt believable and predictable in that game on my Xbox 360. I was hoping they left that part alone for Dirt 3 as I wanted to play it on the same system with the same wheel. Sounds like what you guys are saying is the FFB isn't as good in Dirt 3 and that it may have been dumbed down a bit? Is everyone getting that feeling or is the FFB pretty similar to Dirt 2 with only minor variances?

Definitely not as good as Dirt 2. Using the 360 version of dirt 3, I've tried it with the stock settings, also with the modified settings linked earlier in this thread.

It's really disappointing, not immersive, and uncommunicative. I know that sounds harsh but until I can find the magical configuration, I'm having a _really_ hard time feeling what the car is doing. If I play for an hour solid I can start getting the hang of it, but if I pop in my disc with Gran Turismo 5 or Forza 3 I get a sigh of relief as everything feels better and it's not my wheel failing me. (PWTS)

I wouldn't call it an issue.. I would call it kick ass force feedback..lol

I would back it down because it's strong.. Not just because it may break your wheel, because it may break your arm ! I think they've done a great job with it, at least so far on the 360.. I haven't tried it on the PC or PS3 yet.

Darin,

Could you please PM me your GT2 and in-game settings for Dirt 3?

I just played some Forza 3 and at first the wheel felt so stiff that I thought it was broken! It made me realise just how loose I have it set for Dirt 3. I want Dirt 3 to feel as tight and responsive as Forza 3 does. I just spent a few hours in a Ford V8 Supercar around the Nürburgring and it was divine.

I have almost stopped playing Dirt 3 because I cannot get it to 'feel' right.

Thanks in advance,

Skin.

I went ahead and decided to buy the game for the Xbox despite some claims that the FFB is not as good as it was in Dirt 2. I'll post my thoughts here when I've had a chance to fool with it.

Here are my thoughts after the first season of play.

The ffb seems just as good as dirt2 to me. Here are the settings I'm using.

On wheel: sen 360/ffb 70/drift 1/Lin 0/dea 0/dmp 0/spr 0

In game: ffb 50/100/60 (I only bumped the wheel weight up one click)

Steering dead zone 0, steering linearity 0 (all other control settings at default)

I've got the fanatec Pwts and firmware 681.

Here are my thoughts after the first season of play.

The ffb seems just as good as dirt2 to me. Here are the settings I'm using.

On wheel: sen 360/ffb 70/drift 1/Lin 0/dea 0/dmp 0/spr 0

In game: ffb 50/100/60 (I only bumped the wheel weight up one click)

Steering dead zone 0, steering linearity 0 (all other control settings at default)

I've got the fanatec Pwts and firmware 681.

Tried and I like your settings (Fanatec GT3)! I agree with you about the FFB; its as good as Dirt2.

Ok I tried modifying my settings based on what you guys suggested and it has made a massive difference. Oh baby, this is actually quite a fun little game now. Man those night tracks in the snow are hard though.. I squeezed second place last night after an epic run and it was a lot of fun.

These are my latest settings now that my GT2 is working again.

http://www.fanatecwheel.com/settings/or ... sp-revised

I think that I have finally worked out some decent wheel settings and the game is much more fun to play. I find it strange that the control tweaks that are available in-game when using a wheel are not visible when using a controller. The control settings are so crucial to a driving game that you would think offering a many control settings as possible would be the way to go.

These are my latest settings now that my GT2 is working again.

http://www.fanatecwheel.com/settings/or ... sp-revised

I think that I have finally worked out some decent wheel settings and the game is much more fun to play. I find it strange that the control tweaks that are available in-game when using a wheel are not visible when using a controller. The control settings are so crucial to a driving game that you would think offering a many control settings as possible would be the way to go.

Plan to try these settings. Could you help me out with some forza3 settings? sounds like you have forza3 dialed in.

I am using 911 with clubs and H shifter attached to Obutta seat (xbox).

Plan to try these settings. Could you help me out with some forza3 settings? sounds like you have forza3 dialed in.

I am using 911 with clubs and H shifter attached to Obutta seat (xbox).

These are my current Forza 3 settings. I would say they are about 95% there. Once I have them 100% to my liking, I will post them on the Fanatec Settings website like the Dirt 3 settings.

Game settings:

Wheel layout 4 (or layout 1 if I want to be able to use the handbreak)

Steering, acceleration, deceleration and clutch axis deadzones all inside 0% and outside 100%

Handbreak, vibration and force feedback all 100%

Wheel settings:

SEn: 540

FF: 100

Sho: 100

dri: 2

AbS: 55

Lin: 000

dEA: 000

SPr: 0

dPr: 0

How did you go zoomer?

I lke the dirt 3 settings alot. I had to turn down ff for my taste, but other than that all good. I am playing with sen a little. I am used to F1 and I seem to like a tighter wheel lock, may not be as realistic but I like it.

Have to other members in my group who just got ther GT2's, passed on your dirt settings to them. Much imporoved to what we have been using.They to are tinkering. Will be interesting fot us all to compare the final results between us. We all send are thanks.

Hope to try out forza settings this weekend. Cant seem to play during the work week.

Great to hear mate.

Settings are a personal thing so I am not surprised that you need to tweak them a bit. It is such a big help to find decent settings that get you in the ball park though.

Feel free to add a comment to the settings on the fanatec settings website if you made any changes that others may be interested in.

I will be finalising my Forza 3 and GT 5 settings and posting them soon.