Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt 3 / Wheel FF

45 posts in this topic

When I was watching the videos of VVV automotive, the guy (Alan) was mentioning such a heavy FF on his wheel that he had to put it back to '00', cause he had the impression his wheel (logitech 25) otherwise would break. Next to that, the DEV-guys from Dirt 3 talked about breaking 3 wheels aready, just by testing Dirt 3....

Is this a warning for us wheel drivers to be alarmed? I recently paid a lot of money for my Fanatec GT3 + CSP + Shifter (full price - not the recent ClubSport Edition), so I don't want anything to happen with it.

I would like to know more about this FF issue in Dirt 3 before I start playing the game with my wheel; Is the FF only that heavy when playing the Gymkhana or does it concern the total game?

Just start low and then raise the strength over time as you get comfortable with it.

IMO Dirt 2 was too hard as well, my wheel makes all kinds of knocking around noise and works overly hard at it. I ended up cutting it back a great deal, at least until the knocking cut out. FF is great, but not at the expense of the wheel. LOL

Just start low and then raise the strength over time as you get comfortable with it.

Thanks; I was planning to do that! I hope the guys from ISR will mention the wheel FF issue in Dirt 3 when they make a Fanatec settings video.

When I was watching the videos of VVV automotive, the guy (Alan) was mentioning such a heavy FF on his wheel that he had to put it back to '00', cause he had the impression his wheel (logitech 25) otherwise would break. Next to that, the DEV-guys from Dirt 3 talked about breaking 3 wheels aready, just by testing Dirt 3....

Is this a warning for us wheel drivers to be alarmed? I recently paid a lot of money for my Fanatec GT3 + CSP + Shifter (full price - not the recent ClubSport Edition), so I don't want anything to happen with it.

I would like to know more about this FF issue in Dirt 3 before I start playing the game with my wheel; Is the FF only that heavy when playing the Gymkhana or does it concern the total game?

I wouldn't call it an issue.. I would call it kick ass force feedback..lol

I would back it down because it's strong.. Not just because it may break your wheel, because it may break your arm ! I think they've done a great job with it, at least so far on the 360.. I haven't tried it on the PC or PS3 yet.

OK, bought/played Dirt 3 (PS3) today for almost 8 hours (with Fanatec GT3 RS v3/CSP), and I'm hooked!

This game is fantastic; much better car handeling (with steering wheel) than Dirt 2 (and that game was good!). Set the FF back to 80% (ingame), no assists and had a great time!

OK, bought/played Dirt 3 (PS3) today for almost 8 hours (with Fanatec GT3 RS v3/CSP), and I'm hooked!

This game is fantastic; much better car handeling (with steering wheel) than Dirt 2 (and that game was good!). Set the FF back to 80% (ingame), no assists and had a great time!

How have you played dirt 3 :?: it doesnt come out till tuesday....

sometimes when you pre-order a game online you end up getting the game a few days before the release date, iv had this happen a number of times, on one of my games I have managed to get a game up to 4 days before the release date, my copy of Dirt 3 is currently in the post and im most likely getting it tomorrow

How have you played dirt 3 :?: it doesnt come out till tuesday....

^^^^

Ya I'm curious myself about this "rhs"..perhaps yer in the UK and you guys lucked out and got this awesome title before us filthy yanks did?..hehe,whatever the case,Im feeling a wee bit jealous right now,because I can not wait to spin this puppy!esp after seeing as how the final version floored Darin and Tom!..anyway, enjoy my friend! I know I'm jammin "DIRT 3" ALL DAY Tuesday!cheers :D

^^^^

Ya I'm curious myself about this "rhs"..perhaps yer in the UK and you guys lucked out and got this awesome title before us filthy yanks did?..hehe,whatever the case,Im feeling a wee bit jealous right now,because I can not wait to spin this puppy!esp after seeing as how the final version floored Darin and Tom!..anyway, enjoy my friend! I know I'm jammin "DIRT 3" ALL DAY Tuesday!cheers :D

Yeap, I was lucky! The game store in our city had received a big box with Dirt 3 copies saterday morning. Officially they had to wait selling them tuesday 24th, but regular customers (like me) were able to purchase Dirt 3 right away.

BTW; I had a great time playing Dirt 3 (another 5 hours) this sunday! The 7 km hillclimb in Michigan is a beautiful and fast track, the Coloseum LA rally is great and the Monaco Gymkhana/rally parcour is very fast! Go back to playing Dirt 3 for a couple of hours tonight! To all of you that have to wait for their copies tuesday the 24th; it is worth waiting for! :D

Yeap, I was lucky! The game store in our city had received a big box with Dirt 3 copies saterday morning. Officially they had to wait selling them tuesday 24th, but regular customers (like me) were able to purchase Dirt 3 right away.

BTW; I had a great time playing Dirt 3 (another 5 hours) this sunday! The 7 km hillclimb in Michigan is a beautiful and fast track, the Coloseum LA rally is great and the Monaco Gymkhana/rally parcour is very fast! Go back to playing Dirt 3 for a couple of hours tonight! To all of you that have to wait for their copies tuesday the 24th; it is worth waiting for! :D

Lucky, I too am a regular at my gamestore... but they arn't nice enough to give it out early :cry:

Ive played around 3 hours of the game with the T500RS. I am using everything at 100% from the retail version of the game but I dont believe it is giving the wheel the full power it can produce.

Awaiting reports from other T500Rs owners and while the FFB is really good in the game personally I would prefer it to be even stronger. I play all games with max settings though as just a preference.

I might unbox my DF-GT to compare as my Fanatec PWTS is playing up...

The T500Rs does seem to have a bug in that after a race and returning to the main menus it rotates to the left as your career points are being updated.

NICE "rhs"!~this is all gr8 news man,and judging from all the 100 percent positive reactions from racers/gamers I came across[on the net] the last few days, from folks lucky enough to have gotten their paws on an advanced release copy of "DIRT 3"~it seems this title is actually living up to all the hype!and is even better then I thought it was going to be,as a HUGE fan of "DIRT/DIRT 2" this is stellar news!I absolutley can not wait to spin this baby!cheers all! :D

Lots of people are concerned about the physics.

DON'T BE, although it is not a true simulation this game has awesome FFB and handling precision.

Well certainly with the T500RS ;)

As for the physics and handling, see for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVtcZnd4Tfs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4DNHTeYz1s&feature=channel_video_title

Norway Thousand Lakes Crown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hUWzCUn28U&view=videos

I am using a Thrustmaster TS500. I have almost all the settings cranked up in Dirt but the FF seems very weak.

Also the steering seems a bit off, hard to describe. I know I run on gravel and stuff but nevertheless it feels strange.

Is there anyone out there using the ts500 as well who is so kind as to post how there wheel and ff settings look in Dirt3? It'd be great if you could also give the setting in the TM profiler.

Thanks a lot.

I am using a Thrustmaster TS500. I have almost all the settings cranked up in Dirt but the FF seems very weak.

Also the steering seems a bit off, hard to describe. I know I run on gravel and stuff but nevertheless it feels strange.

Is there anyone out there using the ts500 as well who is so kind as to post how there wheel and ff settings look in Dirt3? It'd be great if you could also give the setting in the TM profiler.

Thanks a lot.

I'm noticing some issues too with the FF. The wheel does seem to be a little floaty from what I remember in Dirt 2. I'll have to reinstall Dirt 2 and try and compare. I didn't change any of the wheel settings on my GT3RSv2 and from what I could tell when first running Dirt 3 was the FF seemed weak in the middle. I could feel the rattle fine but somehow when turning the wheel in the corners I didn't have that "planted" feel like it did in Dirt2. Like I said I'll reinstall Dirt2 and compare and contrast.

It puzzles me that I do not feel any feedback of changing grip. The wheel behaves the same way whether I am driving on road, gravel or even snow. The wheel is creaking and clicking a bit on the inside but other then a bit of rattling there is no feedback.

And the wheel is very light and floaty. I tried adjusting the deadzone but it did not really improve.

I like the graphics and style of the game but the steering seems off. It's a pity. I don't know if I am spoiled by the feedback I get in iRacing but at the moment I am disappointed of this aspect in Dirt 3.

I really hope there are adjustments in the wheel or ff settings that can improve the experience.

Here are my wheel settings for Dirt3:

Steering Deadzone: 0%

Steering Saturation: 50%

Steering Linearity: 3

Throttle Deadzone: 0%

Throttle Saturation: 25%

Brake Deadzone: 0%

Brake Saturation: 25%

Basically the same as Dirt2. It still feels a little bit different like not as much "feel" but still good nonetheless. It's good enough that'll still have fun with it. Right now I ain't sweating it. ;)

My first complaints were from forgetting to tweak the default settings. :oops:

I to agree. I have a Fanatec 911 wheel. And as I recall the feeling was better in dirt 2. When you go from asfalt to gravel there is not that big dif in feel.

Please someone on insidesimracing can you post the setting for dirt 3 and the 911 wheel from fanatec.

Whould be mutch helpfoul.

Ps. Sorry for my spelling, I'm Swed.

Niklas

Edit. Found some settings that I will try out now.

Agreed regarding Dirt 3 and having trouble dialing in my GT2 wheel, feels much better in Dirt 2. But for some odd reason, I miss my G25 for offroad games like these, the G25 seemed more responsive than my GT2, maybe the heavier weight of the GT2 wheel has something to do with this, I find it harder to drive offroad games on the Fanatec wheel.

Also, I hope Codemasters fixes the one very annoying bug real soon......

On the PC Steam version of Dirt 3, it doesn't seem to save your wheel settings at all, so each time I fire up the game, I have to do all my in game wheel settings all over since it defaults to keyboard driving, this is a PITA and I hope they fix this soon. I checked and it seems to be commonplace on the CodeMasters Dirt 3 forums.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Can someone help me understand what wheel and brake 'saturation' settings change? Never heard that adjustment before in anything.. I'm guessing wheel 'heaviness' is dampening, but not sure.

Also I can't get my wheel controls to save when I remap them with a GT3RS V2, I've tried the tip of never using the keyboard only wheel buttons and it should save but it doesn't.

Can someone help me understand what wheel and brake 'saturation' settings change? Never heard that adjustment before in anything.. I'm guessing wheel 'heaviness' is dampening, but not sure.

Also I can't get my wheel controls to save when I remap them with a GT3RS V2, I've tried the tip of never using the keyboard only wheel buttons and it should save but it doesn't.

Have a look here:

http://www.fanatecwheel.com/settings/or ... ec-gt2-csp

For my wheel settings and notes. I am not impressed with the force feedback implementation in Dirt 3 but my current settings are at least playable.

Have a look here:

http://www.fanatecwheel.com/settings/or ... ec-gt2-csp

For my wheel settings and notes. I am not impressed with the force feedback implementation in Dirt 3 but my current settings are at least playable.

We'll be posting our settings in a video soon and they are completely different than yours.. I also disagree with your assessment of Dirts FFB being rubbish..