CSP v3's vs High End pedals
1 1

13 posts in this topic

In search for new pedals after 5 years in my CSR-E, i am close to V3's but i was wondering, what's the difference between them and higher end pedals like DSD, Heusinkveld, Protosimtech etc..?

Having owned Clubsport V3's and now Heusinkveld Pro's, I can give you my assessment. Outside the very obvious size and appearance being closer to real pedals, Heusinkveld pedals are very adjustable. Ignoring gas and clutch, there's no tangible performance difference. The brake however is better, more sensitive to small inputs leading to more accurate braking, and less lock ups. It's fair enough, the load cell in the HE Pro pedals is a large metal bar, compared to the small one in the V3's.

Is it a game changer, I suppose not. You're paying for superior materials throughout, not that the V3's are cheaply made; they're not. But side-by-side I know the Heusinkveld will outlast a set of V3's if put to the test.

But in the end, the only reason to go high-end is if simracing is your passion and only the best for the sake of immersion will do, otherwise getting anything better than V3's isn't worth it. Clubsport pedals are really good.

have you tried the brake performance kit or the damper kit? is any of these sort of "necessairy"? i was thinking the damper kit, adds something to the looks and gives the hydraulic feeling, but everybody keeps saying to pass the damper kit and get the brake performance kit...

I can't speak for the damper kit as I have not used one, but I own the brake performance kit, and it has been a worthwhile upgrade for me, definitely. I was tossing up the idea of getting it when I read about it, but wondered how much difference it would make considering the brake is already fairly adjustable and has a reasonably good load cell at 90kg of force. At 50 AUD, I was hoping that it was as good as some reviewers made it out to be, and I was happy that the improvement was there when I fitted them. It just gives you that little bit better pressure adjustment for fine tuning your braking. As Jeremy said the pedals are good pedals, and really are the end game for anyone that doesn't want to go into high high end pedals. But I would almost forgo the damper and get the performance kit instead. 

I had both with my V3's. Started with the Damper kit early on and added the Brake performance kit when it was available a year later. Out of the two the Brake performance kit is the better upgrade. Both at the same time are unnecessary, as the Brake performance kit reduces the brake travel and makes it a lot stiffer (a bit closer to the feel of the HE Pro brake under your foot); and with damper kit makes so little difference you can hardly feel it on top of the stiffer/short travel brake pedal.

I would say the Brake performance kit is essential, the stock V3 pedal felt terrible to me, hence I got the Damper kit in the first place. The Damper kit improved things, but the Brake performance kit nails it. I expect the V4 Clubsports will go down this route natively rather than an optional upgrade.

Definitely agree with that. The problem with the V3's in their standard state is the foam they use in the brake. Once that's gone, it's a much better experience. Apparently they changed the type of foam that was used when I bought mine, but I still get the feeling that the one that's in there will give that stepping stuttering feeling while pressing on the brake pedal. I hated that. Performance kit eliminated that completely due to different material and also reduced travel. 

Ordered the v3's will order the Brake performance kit sometime later this month and will deffinitely get the Damper kit too later on. Was wondering if we can source aftermarket elastomer springs from a third party supplier though, but yeah would be difficult since i don't know the exact specs fanatec kit has.

Pedals arrived yesterday, after a lot of work i changed the pedal plates (using D-shape) changed the springs to black stiffer, and started trying various combos otf the brake performance kit, i ahve to say, even in supersoft (1x 12mm red + 1x13mm red + PU foam) pedal was extremely stiff to me, switch back to stock 2x PU foams, and still it is too stiff for me, is this normal? also i have this issue, i press the pedal a bit and at that point i should have apply like 10% of brake but the bar in the drivers is actually at 0%! i am pressing a bit more at point where it should read like 15-20% and then the bar starts to appear in the drivers, then i apply some more and BANG bar goes to 50%! in other words, braking is not linear like throttle is, am i doing anything wrong? my current settings are stock 2xPU foams, 50% sensitivity and red tension sdrew is at 4.

Edited by Gregkar

Glad I found this thread as I'm planning on purchasing the v3's soon to replace my CSR Elites and was wondering about the damper vs performance kit. My concern was that ordering both wouldn't really offer much of an improvement over ordering just one of the add ons. I suspected that the brake performance kit was the way to go but appreciate the confirmation.  

On 15/09/2017 at 10:59 AM, Gregkar said:

Pedals arrived yesterday, after a lot of work i changed the pedal plates (using D-shape) changed the springs to black stiffer, and started trying various combos otf the brake performance kit, i ahve to say, even in supersoft (1x 12mm red + 1x13mm red + PU foam) pedal was extremely stiff to me, switch back to stock 2x PU foams, and still it is too stiff for me, is this normal? also i have this issue, i press the pedal a bit and at that point i should have apply like 10% of brake but the bar in the drivers is actually at 0%! i am pressing a bit more at point where it should read like 15-20% and then the bar starts to appear in the drivers, then i apply some more and BANG bar goes to 50%! in other words, braking is not linear like throttle is, am i doing anything wrong? my current settings are stock 2xPU foams, 50% sensitivity and red tension sdrew is at 4.

Have you tried resetting the brake pedal load cell settings in the Fanatec control panel?

On 9/4/2017 at 7:43 PM, Jeremy.Ford said:

Having owned Clubsport V3's and now Heusinkveld Pro's, I can give you my assessment. Outside the very obvious size and appearance being closer to real pedals, Heusinkveld pedals are very adjustable. Ignoring gas and clutch, there's no tangible performance difference. The brake however is better, more sensitive to small inputs leading to more accurate braking, and less lock ups. It's fair enough, the load cell in the HE Pro pedals is a large metal bar, compared to the small one in the V3's.

Is it a game changer, I suppose not. You're paying for superior materials throughout, not that the V3's are cheaply made; they're not. But side-by-side I know the Heusinkveld will outlast a set of V3's if put to the test.

But in the end, the only reason to go high-end is if simracing is your passion and only the best for the sake of immersion will do, otherwise getting anything better than V3's isn't worth it. Clubsport pedals are really good.

13 months later i had the chance to test the HE Pro's and i agree 100% with what you described. I now have the v3's with the BPK (2x 13mm greens) and the damper kit, and i think i like slightly more the brake i have than the HE's. I think that the throttle is tiny better in the HE's (i use the black springs in the v3's) and the clutch is way better in the HE's.

All in all if i could buy right now the HE's i am not sure i would do it. Didn't find the difference THAT big to my setup.

Edited by Gregkar