T300RS extremely loud fan + FFB issue
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. So i was finally able to test my new T300 RS and i have a big problem with it and i would love to hear your opinions. Is T300 RS supposed to be extremely loud? Mine is loud as airplane starting. I have very powerful gaming PC with lots of fans and the PC is completely quiet when compared to the crazy noise the wheel is doing. I almost don't hear the game even though i have headset on. Before buying i have read that this is very quiet wheel and it has very quiet force feedback etc but nobody ever mentioned how crazy loud the fans are (i guess the noise must be fans or something). I think this would probably wake up the neighbours even.

Is it normal with this wheel? I've seen some topics where people are replacing the fans on this wheel so i guess it is common problem? Or is mine faulty somehow?

I don't have a recording but there is a video on youtube, where someone has the same problem (even though mine is even louder than his) :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMNV2EtjbfA

Oh and i should mention that my force feedback is not even set that high. I have it on 75 % in Control Panel and on reasonable levels inside the game.

Return it or every T300 is that loud? Thank you guys

(one other thing that may be connected to it - calibration doesnt work. It always centers the wheel like 20-30 degrees off the center. I have to manually calibrate it each time, do the three button manual calibration save, and if i want to use the wheel again, its again not calibrated and i have to do everything again and again)

Edited by Molda22

No T300 users here? It is very important to me. How does your T300 sound? Is the fan loud as jet engine with every piece? Or just some faulty ones and others are more silent? Because i dont want to fall into the endless cycle of returning and getting new one if its just a bad "feature" of this wheel. And if this is indeed common with T300, are there some quality wheels like T300 without this issue? Thanks to everyone for answers. 

So today i had to chance to test the wheel again and this time i tried to set the force feedback strenght in control panel from 75% to 50% and the result is, that the wheel (fan) was not making the crazy loud noise as yesterday even after almost two hour session in Dirt 4 the noise was ok i guess, but the problem is, with 50% feedback strenght, it felt like there was almost 0 force feedback, extremely light, almost non existent.

Is this normal? I guess not because there would be no point in having 0-50% option in the control panel, if 50% was almost zero in reality in the game.

So test it again back at 75% and see what happens. If it does it again, return it. Because you should in theory being able to play with it at 100% for quite a while before the fans kick in.

But a few questions I don't think were asked...
Does it do this all the time, even after you just plug in it or only while playing?
If it's only after playing then how long after and what games/sims when it does it?

9 hours ago, Wolf68k said:

But a few questions I don't think were asked...

First of all thank you so much for your time and your answer. So you say, that the fan should be off until the wheel is used for a longer time? Because when i plug the wheel in, i hear it immediately (i assume it is the fan) but it is not loud so if it stayed that way than it would be ok i guess. but it slowly but surely gets louder and louder unitl it is jet plane loud after maybe like 30-60 minutes. (in game)

One thing that is weird is that when i plug it in the PC (without starting any game) and i hear the fan, when i touch the wheel even slightly (the rim) and move it even little bit to the left or to the right, tha fan sound changes, gets quiter, gets louder, gets quiter, if i stop touching the wheel, it is again stable noise.

Now i am back home from work, i will test it another time and this time again at higher force feedback strength. (i am testing it in dirt 4 on slightly lower than default in game settings). And hopefully i will today be able to test it on F1 2016 also.

EDIT: so another testing session done - i put it back to 75%, tried dirt again - and after aproximately 40-50 minutes the load noise started again. After that i quit the game, the noise went down but the fan continue to work hard. Then i tried F1 2016 and with the same settings after aproximately 1 hour it was ok. Just the normal fan noise but not loud so its ok. But weird is, that after i quit F1 2016 i didnt unplug the wheel to see what will it do. And one hour later now and i still hear the fan. Shouldn't the wheel be silent completely by now?

So no conclusion so far i guess. Any thoughts? Since i have the new wheel i can finally buy project cars or asseto corsa so i can try it on more games.

BTW when turning the wheel, is it supposed to sound like this? I made a little video:

Edited by Molda22

I'm not saying it should be on or off when the wheel is idle, because I don't know for sure what it does at idle. It could be completely off or it could be running but at a low speed and then spin up faster when the temperature of the motor gets hotter.

I don't have F1 2016 installed (yet....Soon) and I don't have the latest Dirt at all. Right now I mostly only playing ATS and ETS2 and The Crew, but I did try out Project Cars for a bit. At no time did my fan spin up to the point where I can hear it. If it ever does I'll know that's the time I need to stop playing for a good long while and let the fan do it's job.

If your fan is that bad I would return it for a replacement.

I also think with your fan problems, which I did not hear in that video by the way, what the wheel turning sounds like is moot. It sounded ok, maybe a bit louder than mine but I can't say for 100$ certainty.

Edited by Wolf68k

7 hours ago, Wolf68k said:

...If your fan is that bad I would return it for a replacement.

I also think with your fan problems, which I did not hear in that video by the way, what the wheel turning sounds like is moot. It sounded ok, maybe a bit louder than mine but I can't say for 100$ certainty.

When you said you tried Project Cars and you never hear the fan on, i decided to try Project Cars myself and after 9 minutes the fan was loud again. And the whole wheel is crazy. I think there is something broken in the left paddle, it makes different sound then the right and it feels different also and today it started clicking while driving randomly, the sound it makes its clicky sound almost like you would shift with it (even though you didnt touch and and it didn't move at all) I have to return it.

But the problem is that i feel they wont take it back because they will tell me that i broke it and that now i don't have to right to get refund (or new wheel). Because when i told them about the problems few days ago when i tried it for the first time, they replied that ok, yes, they will take it back, but they will send it to their technicians to see if i returned the wheel without damage and if its ok. And if not, they will either not accept the refund (or change of the wheel for new one) or they will give me back lot less money and not the full price.

So i already feel like they will tell me that I did it and its my fault

Unless you dropped it from a good height or threw it around, I doubt it was anything you did.
I don't know who you got it from but already I'm thinking it was a bad choice to shop there if they are giving you a hard time about returning it. I don't feel that Amazon would do this, same for GameStop or Bestbuy. Also there is still the warranty with TM, but that most likely will cost you to send it to them. With Amazon they would send you a mailing label with other instructions on how to send it back (easy and little fuss). I've never ordered online from GS or BB since I have them local, but then I don't shop at either much any more anyway.

So it is packed and ready to be sent back to the shop where i bought it and i hope everything will be ok and they will send me new one (and if yes i hope it won't be broken again).  I will let you know how it ended. Thanks again for your time and patience with me. You were the only one who tried to help me. Thanks again

Fan is either on or off, rotation speed is always constant at T300. If you have latest firmware installed (v25) you can put the fan in always on mode or that the fan comes only when the ffb motor gets too hot. To do so, hold the "mode" button and press the "start" button on the wheel. this way you can switch between the two modes.

The wheel sound in your video seems to be ok, this comes from the notched belt drive mechanism, mine sounds the same. But there shouldnt be any weird loud noises just by moving the wheel when no game is played.

I always run my ffb at 100% in driver, but scale it down in the sim (mostly iRacing and Assetto Corsa) so it wont clip. I was always able to hear my fan (but not really loud though), but not when driving with headset, although i've modded mine with two 90mm fans left and right from the wheel to get a better airflow. 

Edited by aKy0001

On 24. 7. 2017 at 8:14 PM, aKy0001 said:

Fan is either on or off, rotation speed is always constant at T300. If you have latest firmware installed (v25) you can put the fan in always on mode or that the fan comes only when the ffb motor gets too hot. To do so, hold the "mode" button and press the "start" button on the wheel. this way you can switch between the two modes.

The wheel sound in your video seems to be ok, this comes from the notched belt drive mechanism, mine sounds the same. But there shouldnt be any weird loud noises just by moving the wheel when no game is played.

So if the rotation speed is always constant it means that also the sound it produces should be constant and either no sound at all or light sound when tha fan is on, right? So when my wheel get louder and louder and louder as time passes when playing (quickly) to the point that it was very loud, that means there must have been something wrong right? And btw apart from the fan and the wheel turning while playing, there isn't anything else inside that makes constant loud noise?

And the wheel sound in the video - you say that this is normal sound while driving, but when no game is played, the wheel should be smooth and not sound like that? thank you

On 27. 7. 2017 at 2:19 PM, aKy0001 said:

Yeah sound should be constant. Wheel shouldnt become loud while playing. Really seems somthing is wrong with your wheel. 

so new replacement wheel came in. and it is the same. I dont understand it. After 10 mintes in Project Cars with force feedback in profiler on 75 and in game on 60 or 70, again the fan starts up and sounds like a jet plane. And again, you said, that when you plug the wheel to the USB before starting any game, your wheel is quiet. Well when i plug the wheel in, it is not silent. IIts like fan noise, but quiet not loud and if i touch the wheel rim and turn with it, the "fan" sound is changing. But i think, it is not the fan that makes the noise. Because i manually started the "force cooling" mode, when you press two buttons and you force the fan to spin all the time and it sounds like the actual fan is different noise than the noise, when the fan is not working.

I previously thought, that it is the fan, but going slowly thus not being loud and when you play the game, it gets faster and starts making crazy loud noise. But with starting and stopping the fan manually, it sounds like the fan and the other noise are two separate things.

So is your wheel really completely silent if you just plug it in? Or is there a difference between how the wheel sounds not plugged in the USB and after you plug it into USB?

I can also hear this "fan-like" noise when i turn on my wheel, with the fan istelf switched off. But its really very silent, i have to put my ear directly to the housing to notice it. Also it doesn't get louder when im using my wheel and the sound isn't changing. Normally I have my fan in always on mode, just turned it off to check for the sounds you were talking about.

I still think the behaviour of your wheel is strange. Does this only happen with Project Cars?

So that means that the "fan-like" sound mine wheel makes is much louder than yours when no game is on. Because even though is lot less noisy than the fan, you can still clearly hear it even from distance (and you can hear your noise only when you get really really close). As to the loud fan noise, it is happening in all games, but in project cars it starts earlier. I tried another testing yesterday with Project Cars and Dirt 4 and i set the FFB in control panel to 60 and spring and damper to 0 as some suggested and after 40-50 minutes it was still ok. So it looks like my problems begin if i set the FFB strenght in control panel from 65-70 up. (while others can have 100). If its 65 or down its ok. (but if its 65 or lower, to FFB is so weak, that it feels like there is no FFB at all and it feels like you drive on ice. You can only feel very slight vibrations but not FFB really. Only when you touch the kerb or go outside the track, you can slightly feel the FFB.

So i dont think this is the solution. To have such expensive wheel with expensive additional pedals, and to be able to use it properly i have to almost "turn-off" the FFB.

Edited by Molda22

One thinge to note, I always set my ffb to 100 in Windows, but turn it down quite a bit in the game itself so it wont clip (as iRacing, Assetto and PCars have meters to check clipping) FFB is still very good noticeable and strong enough though.I don't know how strong you want you ffb to be, just make sure you do not overtune it.