Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

144Hz gaming monitor

4 posts in this topic

I LOVE my BenQ XR3501. Don't know what your budget is. Looks like the XR3501 is selling for just under $600--and be sure to look for refurbished deals to save a little more. BenQ even sells refurbished units directly from their store site, though only two or three XR3501s show up at a time.

The Acer Predator Z35 is slightly nicer, but it's price is holding at around $1,000.

If you don't have the budget for an ultra-wide, then check reviews for 27" monitors. I'm very impressed with BenQ (I also have a 32" 2560x1440 16:9 for work), while Acer's are more of the "premium" brand for gaming.

Also, in case you haven't figured it out yet, don't get caught up in the 4K hype. Yes, 4K is sharper, and if you're close enough, it will look great. However, you need a pretty incredible PC to get both the resolution and the higher refresh rate (or even 60fps for a 60Hz 4K monitor) with higher quality graphics settings, which you'll want on a 4K screen. I'm still not sure if there's even a 2k or 4k monitor out yet that exceeds 60Hz. For me, I'd prefer 1920x1080 or 2560x1080 at 120-144hz over 2k or 4k at 60hz. Between the two, the faster refresh rate makes a bigger difference for long periods of racing or gaming.

You should be able to get excellent performance from a GTX 1070 at high quality settings at 144fps or higher on the XR3501. For triple screens, you'll need to do some research. Just remember to get a card with the correct number of ports you'll need for better performance, such as DisplayPort.

Here's a POV video of my setup in my office with the XR3501. Of course, this is a 720p 30fps video shot on a Faux-Pro action camera, so it doesn't really demonstrate the monitor's faster refresh rate. However, it does give you an idea of how nice the ultra-wide curved screen is for sim-racing.

Please note that the wide-angle lens of the action camera does flatten out the appearance of the curved screen when viewing "straight on." However, when I look down at the wheel, the curvature of the monitor is more apparent. You can get a better idea of the curvature of the screen in John's review videos below.

Also, if you wish to VESA-mount the XR3501, you will need to purchase a separate VESA mount plate. It's $35-40, and can be a little hard to find in stock sometimes.

Here's John's reviews of the XR3501 -- the monitors he has on his main PC rig.

I use a 27 inch iiyama GB2788HS 1920 x 1080 monitor and find it to be a really good monitor for me. What GPU do you have? Are you looking for a Freesync or G-sync Monitor? Which resolution would you prefer? Budget?