Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triple 1440p Dell U2713HM vs. Something Else

3 posts in this topic

I'm just getting started in simracing. In fact, my T300 GT (Wheel and T3PA pedals) package hasn't shipped yet. I had planned on buying a Next Level Racing wheel stand and pulling up an Ikea Poang chair to it in front of my 50 inch plasma. I'll still probably use that chair and wheelstand.

However, yesterday I found someone selling five excellent condition Dell Ultrasharp 27 inch 1440p U2713HM monitors (60 Hz, 8ms GtG time) on Craigslist for $50 each. I bought them all.

The problem is my computer definitely can't run games at triple 1440p. I've got a GeForce GTX 770 2GB video card and an i5-4670k. I'll probably keep one of the monitors, but could probably sell the others for ~$200 each leaving me with $550 profit plus a 1440p monitor for single screen shooters and such. 

I'd like to turn this into a triple screen setup that I'm able to run. Once the monitors are sold I was planning on getting triple BenQ GW2760HL 27 inch 1080p 60Hz monitors for $540 total. I'd try that out on my current computer to see how it ran in a few games (mainly looking at iRacing and Assetto Corsa), and if not I'd hold onto them for a while until I could find a GTX 1070 since they're so overpriced and hard to find now due to people buying them all up for cryptocurrency mining.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan or does anyone have any other suggestions that would be better for a triple monitor setup?

I guess I could also keep three monitors, sell two and try to get a GTX 1070 later to run games on triple 1440p at 60Hz, but I don't know how well that would work and if it would be as simple as only replacing the video card in my computer. I don't think the Dells I got are that great for gaming either. They're more for editing.

What would you do in this situation?

Be  patient wait untill you can acquire a better GPU.

your  CPU is very good.

Still think triples are best, and the monitors are more than  adequate, they

are 60hz so should not be too dificult to drive for the right GPU.

4 hours ago, Kek700 said:

Be  patient wait untill you can acquire a better GPU.

your  CPU is very good.

Still think triples are best, and the monitors are more than  adequate, they

are 60hz so should not be too dificult to drive for the right GPU.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think when I get some more time next week after I get back from some travel, I'll do some benchmarking in AC and iRacing to see if maybe I could put up with either a single 1440p monitor or triple 1440p monitors running at 1080p (this will probably look bad since it's not native resolution) until I can get ahold of a better GPU. I'm thinking of doing the following tests:

1 1080p 60Hz monitor @ 1080p on GTX770 as baseline

1 1440p 60Hz monitor @ 1080p on GTX770

1 1440p 60Hz monitor @ 1440p on GTX770

3 1440p 60Hz monitors @ 1080p on GTX770

That seems like it will give me a good idea of preference and I can also try to game some on the monitor(s) to see if the response time and input lag on the Dells is unreasonable compared to what I think would be possible with the BenQs.

I guess this also comes down to the question of whether 1440p is worth it over 1080p (both at 60Hz) when sitting 2-3 feet away on 27 inch monitors. I don't have enough experience to answer that question.

Anyone have thoughts on that approach?