Steering Wheel buttons for TX wheel Relocated
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm new here and had a "great" idea awhile back and was wondering if it was possible. Instead of buying a $50 adapter to be able to use a real wheel and do whole bunch of weird wiring and having to drill hole for an e-brake (this is for an e-brake mod/paddle shifter delete/rally car wheel whatever on console) could you re-route the plug for the steering wheel out the back of the base and make a button box instead of having all of the buttons on the steering wheel? 

I think it might be easier to just make a button box and have it connect via USB. I think moving the plug from the wheel to some place you can mount it would be more trouble than it's worth. Then making while making the button box you'll need to find a way to connect it to that same plug, which the first thing that pops in my head it tearing apart the original rim. With making the box from scratch (or buying one) you can have more options. Where as tearing a part a wheel and using it's components you might be more limited as to what you can do.

Plus if you ever want to go back to using a TM wheel for some reason. Or if you want/need to sell the wheel and base it'll still be intact and make for a much better offering.

I know this post it old But I'm looking to do just that reroute  the 6 pin din out the side or rear of my thrustmaster tx wheel.  I know that the 6 pin din is a female and after securing it I would need a  male to male 6 pin din to run to a button box. so the button box would need to have a female 6 pin din  connection as well.  But the problem arises  box sizes and the pcb that would need to be used. and in my case I would have to use the pcb from the thrustmaster ferrari 458 italia edition tx racing wheel. and that pcb is around 8 to 9 inches long. so I'm looking for a metal box that will accommodate the pcb and all the buttons as well. plus I would like  enough room to connect connections for a  sequential shifter and hand brake.  so does anyone know of a box that will work for this project. 

As far as just wiring an ebrake to the TX base you could use an rca cable (or a connector of your choice) cut in half, half wired to the yellow button on the base. Then wire the other half of the cable to the momentary switch on the handbrake. There are a few threads and youtube videos you can find on this.

You might want to go the arduino sketch route. It replicates the Ferrari 458 rim and would be similar to building a custom wheel-button pad.

Check this guy's videos on it to start then sift this site.

You'll need to take apart the base somewhat to extract the 6 din from the steering shaft and mount it as a port on the base. Hot glue is your friend.

Then find a box and buttons you like.

If you're that far into it, you should be able to find out which wire(s)  go to the paddles and splice into it and run it to the hub for custom paddles - for non rally. 

An authentic arduino nano can be found on amazon right now for less than $20.

But if you want, you can just solder wires to the button contact points on the 458 rim board and run them to your buttons/switches. I have done this with two buttons on my T300 rim, run through the base via screw contact points on the hub and wheel - to my custom sequential shifter. The buttons are still functional and the rim is still usable and detachable.  

Check your local Home Depot or Lowes for boxes you could use. - Think outside of the..

Check out ebay under arcade parts.

Good luck. I am interested to see how this turns out.

.. Am now debating doing this.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Shawn Watson