Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triple monitors Q?

6 posts in this topic

Hopefully I can get some guidance regarding my triple monitor set up. I currently have triple 27 inch monitors running at 60 Hz and 1080p through an EVGA GTX 1080 GPU. I would like to upgrade the monitors to a higher refresh rate based on the comments and reviews I have seen in this forum. My questions and concerns all revolve around the capability of the GTX 1080.

I am presuming the single 1080 GPU does not have the horsepower to drive a triple monitor set up at 144 Hz and 1440p. Nevertheless, to have some provision for the future, I am leaning towards purchasing a set of 1440p g-sync monitors. I then would like to run them at 1080p around 90 to 120 Hz, which I believe the single GTX 1080 could handle. However, I can't seem to find a 1440 monitor that will allow a 1080 resolution at anything higher than 60 Hz. Someday in the future I could add another GTX 1080, which I presume would drive the three monitors at 144 Hz and 1440p.

Could I ask that the community weigh in with thoughts and suggestions on my situation?

Thank you.

Hi,

I have a GTX980, and triples with 1080p 60Hz. I had to make friendship with the (almost) lowest settings in case of graphics. In Assetto Corsa my GPU was able go above 100 FPS, to provide continuously smooth experience. It all depends on, what you can afford regarding PC hardware. If your budget is "unlimited", go for 1440p, 120Hz, but that will need an atomic power plant. If budget is limited, you have to choose priorities. I would say, very low input lag (low graphic settings, no Post Processing), very high FPS, 1080p. When I'm racing, I don't have time to observe the beautiful ultra shadows, the reflections, etc.. When I watch a replay, then I set the graphics to a high level, then tearing and delay does not disturb me. But that is my taste.

I would say, before you make a decision, try to find an opportunity to check a high-end simrig, maybe with different adjustments, if possible. Then you can experience, if 1440p is important, or not, what is the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. We are talking about a lot of money to spend, it is worth to be sure, what you will get for your investment. Maybe at the end you will decide for VR as a compromise, who knows? 

Best regards!

I run triple 27" 1080p monitors but vsync'd to 60hz. I too have wanted to move to 144hz but the resolution being 1440p is a killer. I run a single 1080 and it's good for max settings at the res I play at for all titles really, with AA on also. I would say you would need to go SLI 1080's or at the very least get rid of the standard 1080 and go the Ti version. But as others have said, eye candy will need to be sacrificed as 1440p x 3 is 11 MILLION pixels. More than 4K which is around 8 million. No card on earth can run 4K 144hz on anything that isn't Hearthstone or something like that, so yeah. Hard to justify at the moment. I have actually seen a couple of 1080p monitors at 27" that do the 144hz refresh but there are only a few around. Affordable and definitely more appropriately matched for the graphics card power available today. 

I have come to be very happy with the standard 60hz with vsync. I have no noticeable input lag whatsoever, and whenever I try to run without vsync, the image is terrible, the stutter makes the frame rate look SLOWER than 60fps, and it is highly distracting. For me, as a solely PC gamer of 6 years now the only game / sim that I have been able to run without vsync is counter strike which achieves super high frames where the motion actually does look smooth. It's a tough decision, but just having triples in the first place is amazing and I wouldn't trade them for anything at this point. Not even VR for a few more years of maturing. 

Thanks, Everyone.

The feedback is very much appreciated. I will pull the trigger on three 1440p 144 Hz monitors, and see what I can squeeze out of them. Thanks again for the prompt responses.

mike