TH8A cable issue? please help!
2 2

32 posts in this topic

Hello guys, this is my 1st post and hoping to get some help.

I just bought a second hand set of T300 458 GTE with TH8A and T3PA pro.

Hooked it up to the PS3 and fired up GT5. Wheel and pedals were fine but shifter no response (I used DIN > USB cable hoping to get true manual mode)

Long story short, I tried different combinations and I found the TH8A working in sequential mode (DIN > DIN cable to back of T300 base). 

Using the DIN > USB cable the PC did not detect anything. 

Got quoted by the local dealer for a DIN> USB cable replacement and it's USD40

Other than this, can I get a similar replacement in the computer shops?? how about using the DIN > mini DIN cable and purchase an adapter to switch it to USB?

Thanks!

Martin 

Unfortunately this cable is unique to Thrustmaster.  It's pin connections are very specific.  Direct from Thrustmaster Support, they quoted me 10.80 EUR + 22 EUR shipping (to Canada). That's $35.98 USD (or for me $49.53 CAD).

Thankfully I only use my TH8A via USB and direct to my PC.  So I had a few smart (good with electronics) friends chop off the connectors and wire it directly so mine is now USB only.  Works perfect.

thanks for the info. Since the DIN to DIN cable is working,  is it possible to run an adapter connecting the mini DIN side with a PS /2 to USB adapter so that I can plug it into the USB port ?

I think I have seen another user purchased a Belkin PS /2 extension cable so the mini DIN side maybe generic in its layout ?

something like this :

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/230777246564

what I wanted to know is whether the shifter would work in USB mode when I use a mini DIN to USB adapter. anyone with the hardware can verify? many thanks 

Martin

Edited by warhammer2

While I can't verify, I'm personally doubtful that this would work.  I can confirm that of the 9 pins in the DIN connector, the USB connector only uses 4 of them (technically 5 when including the grounding).  So I would believe that the USB driver detects the shifter differently, vs the wheel driver and it's internal expansion connectors.

But hey... if you know anyone with a PS2 keyboard, they probably have one of these adapters lying around (I know I have one or two in my box of cables)... worth a shot.

16 hours ago, warhammer2 said:

Hello guys, 

Using the DIN > USB cable the PC did not detect anything. 

Got quoted by the local dealer for a DIN> USB cable replacement and it's USD40

Other than this, can I get a similar replacement in the computer shops?? how about using the DIN > mini DIN cable and purchase an adapter to switch it to USB?

Thanks!

Martin 

Din connector on the bottom of base doesn't ps2 port. So wont work.

Thrustmaster use 2 different protocol to usb mode and base mode.

Check with another computer. Wont work, then you need to check th8a inner 5v-›3,3v poweradapter.

Cheers

20 minutes ago, VSteve said:

Din connector on the bottom of base doesn't ps2 port. So wont work.

Thrustmaster use 2 different protocol to usb mode and base mode.

Check with another computer. Wont work, then you need to check th8a inner 5v-›3,3v poweradapter.

Cheers

hi thanks for your info. I will try it again. The shifter works in sequential mode when connected via DIN -DIN cable to T300 base.

Just that it doesn't work on PC nor PS3 when I switch to DIN -USB.

I am not sure about opening the thing to check its power adapter since I am not very good with electronics.

Last resort would be to shell out usd40 but I want to pin point the root cause before i commit.

Martin 

Still no response when I plug the shifter via DIN -USB cable. so not sure if its cable problem or shifter itself. As i said it works when i use DIN -DIN cable in sequential mode.

I saw online that there 's a hidden "reset" button at the bottom of the shifter,  is it true ? i read through the manual but it doesn 't mention. 

Can I connect the shifter to the pc via din-din cable? and do the "bootloader" procedures.

Martin

On 5/6/2017 at 10:47 PM, stevemontuno said:

Sounds like you need to update or download the TH8A drivers ,,,,I'm sure thats what i did when i started using the USB cable.

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/th8a-en/

Hi guys, bad news unfortunately.

So I tested the DIN - USB cable with my PC, connected it to the shifter, and hold it tight against the DIN plug on the shifter side .... it works!  Windows gave the detection sound signal and it was detected in the calibration application. But as soon as I release my hand from the cables, it would disconnect in Windows.

So, by that point I was pretty sure it's the bogus DIN - USB cable and buying a replacement from the local dealer probably would have saved it. 

But, I made the mistake of unscrewing the small screw on the DIN cable on the shifter side, and took out the female DIN connector.  and oh my God, as soon as I took it out, I knew I've torn the connector off! 

Arrgh. So now I've a dead shifter and it won't even work with the DIN - DIN cable for obvious reason. I may need someone who's good with wiring to fix it. 

IMG_20170506_165649_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_20170503_174201_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_20170507_164107_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_20170507_163949_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_20170507_163924_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_20170507_164527_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_20170507_164722_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Yikes ,,,, Nightmare ,,,,,,,, how many wires are there ???  is it 4 or 5 ,,,,, i think you can wire it up to usb no probs,,,,if its Red,White,Green,Black ,,,,& yellow by the looks of your pics ,,,just wire to usb using a usb type A pinout diagram ,,,,, the yellow would be the extra ground.

Don't do that! The color of wire insulation doesn't mean anything!

You can found some pictures about inside th8a wiring diagramm in other post. But first check are your th8a's mainboard wiring is the same with on the pictures one.

Your fault was probably the loose contact between two pins.

Hey guys many thanks for your help!

Stevemontuno sorry I don't see any link in your reply above but I found the diagram on the other thread, is it this one? 

I guess it's no good to cut open the cable as the colour inside will not match the wires on the shifter right?  I am not very good at this, can Vsteve tell me if I want to just use USB mode, can I just find the Gray/ Green/ Black & Orange wires from the shifter and somehow solder it against the corresponding pins (8, 5, 4 & 1) on the DIN cable? how about Red & White wires? Do I need to solder them to pins 6 & 7?

The handwritten diagram has a USB front view, is it suppose to show the pins facing down? 

DSC_3128.JPG.1e2d4fb81227e278b94302144d8f2118.JPG

Edited by warhammer2

On 5/10/2017 at 0:23 AM, VSteve said:

Yes, you are right.

Open your th8a, check the wires. When the color of wires are same like with mine. You can resolder the din connector correspondig pins.

Hi VSteve, thank you for the help. I am going to cut open the DIN cable and find the wires to solder them. Just to confirm - I am going to make it permanent USB mode, I don't need to solder the red & white wires to pins 6 & 7 right? 

Edited by warhammer2

The Usb - din cable closeing the pin 6 and 7. When you doesn't solder them, it will not work. 

When you connect 6 and 7 to each other, it will work only usb mode. But base mode (connect to the base) may fireing your equipment.

On 5/23/2017 at 10:59 PM, VSteve said:

The Usb - din cable closeing the pin 6 and 7. When you doesn't solder them, it will not work. 

When you connect 6 and 7 to each other, it will work only usb mode. But base mode (connect to the base) may fireing your equipment.

Thanks VSteve, our plan is to solder the wires back to the shifter side female head. I will try and get all the wires soldered back to the head. THis way, we will be able to use both cables (DIN or USB)..... Will update our progress later, thanks

IMG_20170506_165649_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.6be695c3f67f621e045355259553fe98.jpg

Edited by warhammer2

Dear all,

I have good news. Thanks to Vsteve's excellent diagram, I have re-soldered the wires on the shifter side to the DIN connector.

I only soldered the wires needed for USB connection. And, upon testing it with the DIN-USB cable on PC, it works!

However, the connection only works if I hold the connector at a certain angle and I suspect it is the DIN - USB cable's problem.

I want to open up the cable and hard-wire it to the shifter. Based on Vsteve's diagram above, is there any hints as to which wire in the DIN - USB cable goes with which colour cable from the shifter side?

I only intend to use the box' via USB mode.

IMG_20170618_192034_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170618_191955_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, VSteve said:

Why do you want to use TM din usb cable? 

Just take an usb A-B cable, then you get the standard colors (white green red black)

Hi VSteve, sorry I don't understand your suggestion. 

So instead of using TM din usb cable, I should use USB A-B cable? 

Do you mean I should not connect the DIN connector on the shifter side. Instead, have the wires directly wired to a USB cable?

white green red black .... you mean the wires from shifter side?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Sorry, I don't speak enough in english!

Yes, you should use USB A-B cable, instead of cutting your TM usb-din cable. 

Yes, you can connect directly USB cable to the shifter. As I remember you told don't want to use your shifter connected to the base.

No, I don't. Shifter side wires are on my previous diagramm.

47 minutes ago, VSteve said:

Sorry, I don't speak enough in english!

Yes, you should use USB A-B cable, instead of cutting your TM usb-din cable. 

Yes, you can connect directly USB cable to the shifter. As I remember you told don't want to use your shifter connected to the base.

No, I don't. Shifter side wires are on my previous diagramm.

Thanks VSteve, I still don't know how to connect the USB cable directly to the shifter?

Any links to a sample USB A-B cable? I guess I need to cut this wire and connect the shifter wires to it as well?

On 6/20/2017 at 9:28 PM, VSteve said:

yes, of course

Hello guys, I have some progress update and needs abit of help.

I've cut out the DIN-USB wire to try and connect it directly to the shifter. I found 4 wires in it, black, white red and green. Does anybody know which colour I should solder to the shifter side wires?

I have a picture..... 

Thanks everyone

IMG_20170714_174706.jpg