TH8A cable issue? please help!
2 2

32 posts in this topic

A big thanks to everyone up here for the assistance. Particularly VSteve's excellent diagram.

So I had 2 particular problem: the usb- din wire was faulty and I destroyed the plug on the shifter side.

Thanks to Vsteve's diagram, I was able to re-wire the shifter (although it's flimsy and looks quite dodgy!) and manages to get it going again after acquiring a replacement din-usb cable. We dissected the faulty din-usb cable to try and directly wire it against the shifter but I couldn't figure out the schematics so gone with an replacement wire.

Here's some pics of the wiring and it being bolted onto my Playseat together with the rest of the gear.

Happy racing!

IMG_20170821_222838.jpg

IMG_20170821_221229.jpg

Edited by warhammer2

Dragging a 2 year old thread back from the dead :)

I have just bought a TH8A but it only came with DIN-DIN cable and I need a DIN-USB cable to run it on my PC.

Ricmotech sell them for $45 but that is way too much for a cable and I am still waiting on Thrustmaster getting back to me but I don't think it will be any cheaper.

So I am wondering if anyone else knows where I can get a reasonable priced cable from ?

Or should I cut off my small DIN and rewire a USB connector on the end since I don't use it on a console. Just worried about resale if it doesn't have a DIN-DIN cable since I guess one of those will cost the same as a DIN-USB.

If I rewire can someone confirm the large DIN pin numbers - the drawing at the top of this page doesn't match this one : QgsJNyM.png

1-7 are in the same position but one is male and one is female therefore they should be a mirror image (like 8 and 9 are) :(

any advice appreciated - thanks in advance

Edited by niterida
add info

15 hours ago, niterida said:

Or should I cut off my small DIN and rewire a USB connector on the end since I don't use it on a console. Just worried about resale if it doesn't have a DIN-DIN cable since I guess one of those will cost the same as a DIN-USB.

If I rewire can someone confirm the large DIN pin numbers - the drawing at the top of this page doesn't match this one : QgsJNyM.png

1-7 are in the same position but one is male and one is female therefore they should be a mirror image (like 8 and 9 are) :(

any advice appreciated - thanks in advance

I newer cutted of my din-din cable but I'm sure it hasn't enough inner wire to solder it an USB connector easily . You need rewiring the large din connector too. 

As I remember numbering is based on the thrustmaster connector numbering. You can see it on your shifters female din connector. 

But you know, use your multimeter. 

You can indeed see it on the shifters female plug and it is as per the diagram I posted :)

So you are saying that I can't just cut the small DIN plug off, strip back the wires and connect it to a USB as per the above : 8->1, 5->2, 4>3, 1->4 and then loop 6->7 to each other ??

Edited by niterida

5 hours ago, niterida said:

So you are saying that I can't just cut the small DIN plug off, strip back the wires and connect it to a USB as per the above : 8->1, 5->2, 4>3, 1->4 and then loop 6->7 to each other ??

No, I don't. Bought a din male connector and an USB cable. And solder it together. Or just connect it with some little jumper to the female din connector. 

Because don't you know, the shifter is working properly with USB. On the shifter's main board there is a 5V to 3.3V power suppli. 

Let the loop 6-7 connection the last. Before you connect it measure. There need to be 3.3V. I Don't remember wich one. 

Steve