[Work In Progress] My attempt at a minimal "8020" rig (CSW V2, Single Screen)
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hey, I enjoy reading other peoples logs and now that I finally got started on mine I thought I'd try to make a build log as well. :)

I’ve had my CSW V2 for quite a while but haven’t really used it as much as I’d want to mostly because I can’t get a good seating position with the wheel clamped to my desk... But now I finally pulled the triggered and ordered some aluminium extrusion so I can get started on my rig. I don’t really have a set plan for the build but I do have a pretty good idea of what I’m trying to make. I have 2 x 1,5m of 80x40 and 120x40 on the way so we’ll see how that works out as a frame when they get here. The plan is to have the 80x40 as the base and the 120x40 for the steering wheel and monitor. The monitor I’ll use is my old Crossover 27q that got replaced by a PG278Q, I’d really prefer to have a 30-something inch tv/screen as a monitor but the 27 will have to do for now. VR is a possibility sometime later as well…

I already have a Dashboard bracket from simlab.eu for the CSW V2 and it looks really good with the wheel mounted to it, the only problem is the wheel is a little too close to the bracket for my liking… We’ll see I might try to make some sort of extension piece for it

This is what I have:

IMG_20170415_185957.thumb.jpg.a3a2cffc9230e8e32bc2347e02667cd9.jpg

My inspiration for the build:

b81e138eba6621a6c9abc3aa9e8bec26.jpg.bfb8490d6f2da1b96659563008bb45f7.jpgac5fc98a8451e50d2ba4db9a7525a712.jpg.b42b4182ef999a263305e5b8bfa2a1ab.jpg

Edited by iBerggman
Images

6 hours ago, Jason Palmer said:

Gutted mate as the picture of your doesn't show up and i am itching to see what you have come up with !

Hmm, I updated the pictures. I may have used a Google Photos url for one of them, could be why it didn't work. :huh:

Anyways, not much too see here yet I'm afraid, only a picture of the gear laid out on the floor... still very early in the building process. I'm waiting for my first batch of motedis profiles to get here so I can get started on the actual building part of this.

Can't really say the design will be very special either, as I said the plan is to have a base of 80x40 and from that two vertical 120x40 profiles to which the CSW and monitor mount to. It's pretty much an adaption of the old Minimalist rig from opensimbuilds, in fact I was going to build one of those first but then I found the sim-lab.eu dashboard bracket and decided to make my own version of the rig. I'm still not sure on how I will mount the pedals or the seat so that's why I'm ordering in two batches, well honestly I haven't decided on a seat yet... I do like the look of the Autostyle BS6 so I might have to sacrifice my wallet some more even though I had originally planned to get a cheap car seat.

What I have done though, as you can see from the OP, is paint the buttons on the bmw rim black. "Because racecar" reasons aside I don't really have much use for the colour coding so I thought I'd paint them black for a simpler look. And I have to say I'm really happy with how it looks all blacked out, looks a lot better than it did before If you ask me :wub:

IMG_20170415_184817.thumb.jpg.3b73d1974a9fea051f64acbc4bdbeba9.jpgIMG_20170415_195615.thumb.jpg.3dc257ac9ae91af68337220a2b16c905.jpgIMG_20170415_195555.thumb.jpg.5ebdd90e0fafc1e7cea92a3f81f15977.jpgIMG_20170415_195621.thumb.jpg.9146d75c5e451694b3f328c2fd332d06.jpg

I finally got the aluminium profiles earlier last week and have spent some time in the past days trying to figure where to go from here. I wasnt quite sure if I wanted to have the vertical wheel/monitor mount fastened to top or inner/outer side of the base but Ive now decided Ill mount it to the inside of the base just because it looks better to me.

For what it is its already quite stable in front/back movement but it does wobble quite a bit side to side as theres no supporting brackets on the base but Ill order those today now that Ive decided on a final layout. Still missing a seat as well but Im looking at a second hand momo seat for 135€, I believe its a T-Frame Evo or something like that. I guess I have a week or so to find a seat before the profiles show up here...

Like this:

IMG_20170430_205507.thumb.jpg.2798dfb2c7e9858776166e952cf98021.jpg

I also figured I can mount the handbrake to the clubsport shifter so that solves the second problem of trying to find a good mounting position for it:

IMG_20170428_183750.thumb.jpg.0e88c34ab663531f188dffd646a2d5c2.jpg

Mounted to the rig something like this. Ive since moved the 40x40 bar so it mounts straight out of the 120x40 like the dashboard bracket instead of mounting it to the side. Now I just need a small piece of 40x40 to support it from beneath because it does flex, well more like vibrates, a little on its own.

IMG_20170430_204241.thumb.jpg.70b3ecf42d32c2832ff3e2654db9dd16.jpgIMG_20170430_204309.thumb.jpg.2e758bd48473ad6d8d46658f512bf949.jpg

As an added feature I can rest my phone running powergrid on the enclosure as a button box until I get a proper one, Ive been looking at the P3BK from DSD to mount behind the shifter. But who knows, maybe the powergrid app is enough for my needs...

WIN_20170430_20_41_14_Pro.thumb.jpg.fc2bbd0389e15cb0c2a2c17126651fda.jpg1381633_orig.thumb.jpg.a7fda58a1b4908b8809683c2cb6a8dd4.jpg

Test fit of the monitor, I have a simlab.eu vesa mount but I couldnt use it because I dont have any M6 bolts or nuts so its just resting there on top of the csw. Looks like it will work quite nicely, although I would prefer to have a 37 inch tv with real 120 hz if such a thing even exists for a reasonable price...

(1,5m might have been a little excessive for the monitor/wheel mount but atleast I have options now, also 1m might have been too short anyway especially if I would end up raising the seat from the floor.)

IMG_20170428_213743.thumb.jpg.58f2cbc398d4b1a77475607221ff6689.jpg

Thats all for now, Ill update again once I get the 8020 or before if I make some progress on the seat purchase... :)

Edited by iBerggman

That looks great. Looks like you're going to have a nice FOV with that set up. I really like the button box too.

I'm in the middle of setting up my Sim Labs GT1 with quad monitor stand. Got everything built, now just have to mount monitors, wheel, seat and pedals. I love the 80/20 for it's adjustability, and I hate it for the same reason!

It's nice to be able to move everything where you want, but definitely a PTA to get it there. Working with the 80/20 is super easy though, so in the end it's going to fit like a glove and be as sturdy as any thing out there.

Hope to see ya on the track someday soon!

Chris

On 5/1/2017 at 10:38 PM, CShelton24 said:

That looks great. Looks like you're going to have a nice FOV with that set up. I really like the button box too.

I'm in the middle of setting up my Sim Labs GT1 with quad monitor stand. Got everything built, now just have to mount monitors, wheel, seat and pedals. I love the 80/20 for it's adjustability, and I hate it for the same reason!

It's nice to be able to move everything where you want, but definitely a PTA to get it there. Working with the 80/20 is super easy though, so in the end it's going to fit like a glove and be as sturdy as any thing out there.

Hope to see ya on the track someday soon!

Chris

Thanks! The fov should indeed be pretty nice, I’m thinking it could work alright even with only a single monitor. I also have a trackir but I cant seem to get the diode part attached in a comfortable way so idk about that.

Nice choice on the GT1 btw. Its pretty high on my list of ready cockpits I would consider if I hadn’t gone my own route, and tbh the pedal mount I have planned is an adaption of the one on the GT1 :)

The adjustability is definitely as much of a pro as it is a con as you say, Ive already spent stupid amounts of time just adjusting the shifter/handbrake to see how it feels in different places... and I know I will spend that much more when I get all the missing pieces :D

The pedal mount is great so far. I have a set of ProtoSim PT-1's and I was able to mount them inverted and even add a little angle to them with the GT-1 pedal mount pieces. I didn't have to use the mounting plate that I purchased for the PT-1's. I was able to use some screws that came withe GT-1 to mount right into the 80/20. It's rock solid.

Here's a couple pics (Don't mind the shoddy carpet, I'm building this in the work shop)

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

are there small spacers between the Simlab "dash" mount and the wheel base? I always wondered how the SimLabs plate mounted to the wheel base considering that there are a TON of bolts on the front of the wheel base but only a relatively small hole for the shaft.

Could you maybe take pics looking down, so we can see how the wheel base actually bolts down to the SimLabs mounting plate?

Yeah. I'll try to get some shots. The Direct Drive motor fits right into the hole on the dash plate and the screw holes line up perfect. Fits like a glove. No spacers.

I did have to use the bolts from the hinges to mount the motors (as they are a little longer) then i used the bolts that came with the motor to mount the dash plate to the hinges. It all works perfectly.

Sim Labs gives you plenty of extra bolts and screws as well. I used some of those to mount the ProtoSim pedals right into the 80/20 (as the ProtoSim bolts were too long to use without the mounting plate).

I initially thought those hinges and dash plate on the SimLabs GT1 would be too flimsy to hold the weight and the torque of the direct drive motor, but I must say it is truly rock solid.

Edited by CShelton24
spelling

Here's some shots of the motor mounted to the dash. I used washers on the back of the motor bolts to make sure there wasn't too much thread to tighten down the closed end nuts on the bolts.

You can see where the motor fits into the main hole. There is a lip that sticks out from the motor right there, and sits in the hole just perfect. The way it fits so perfect, I have to believe that dash was made for that motor.

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1056a.jpg

IMG_1055a.jpg

IMG_1052a.jpg

Edited by CShelton24
Lightened pics

Thanks. Considering that Heuskinveld also uses the "dash" style mounting plate and that I've now seen a few people happy with those hinges, I think I'm going to work on getting those parts from SimLab (-8 Being able to angle my wheel upwards just a little bit using those hinges and having good legroom with the dash mount would be sweet!

The hinges definitely are strong enough to hold whatever forces you'd put on the wheel in normal use. Honestly, if you tighten the screws all the way you could probably use the wheel as a grip to pull yourself up without the angles moving much at all. Also, I think Motedis sells the hinges as well but tbh might as well support Richard from simlab.eu because the products he sells really are quite nice!

Now I'm not sure if I'm missing something but when I first tried mounting the CSW V2 (with only bolts) the bolts on the front of the base interfered with the bracket making it sit a little uneven thus not being able to properly tighten it down. I couldn't see any suitable hardware in the box so I might have lost it if there was supposed to be any. I fixed it by cutting some spacers out of some tube we had laying around. Not the best solution but I guess it works, something like a thread extender piece would for sure be a better solution....

IMG_20170524_215825.thumb.jpg.6e9ee1e4492d9667d778e2e48af5d12c.jpg

Oh, and damn that monitor (and rig as well ofc) looks nice @ CShelton24. Thats the X3501, right? 

Edited by iBerggman

Yes, I have 3 Benq X3501's and a 24" Viewsonic on top. I'll post some pics tonight. (just added the 4th monitor running Z1 Dashboard). I am pushing all those pixels with a GTX 1080. It has no problems in iRacing with all 4 monitors on the same GPU.

Okay, the rig is finally starting to shape into something that is actually usable. I ordered a Bimarco Hammer seat of ebay about a week ago and just received it yesterday. It isn't perfect and in fact feels more like a desk chair than a bucket seat but it´s alright, I mainly bought it because of the design and the fact that you cant really get any other wide seats for 200€ but with some extra cushioning it should become quite good.

For now I've experimented with mounting it at different angles and found that having it at a quite severe angle makes it surprisingly comfortable, just needs a little support padding in the upper back/shoulder area. There's a bit too much inward curvature at the lumbar area that makes it feel odd to me in a more upright position, but I always had a more layback style mount in mind so in the end it all works out fine.

The seat:

2350896_14_zpsg0uovmgx.thumb.png.4af9942fb875fe7279463c896d1b069d.png

Here's what it looks like installed:

IMG_20170616_231736.thumb.jpg.41d483454d1a6f77185622bf497165f9.jpgIMG_20170617_001438.thumb.jpg.bdabd234daa870d9ae5d1ad322394d68.jpg

The seat being so reclined makes the monitor sit a bit too high so I had to do some thinking to figure out how to get it lower. I came to realize I can sacrifice some fov and mount it further back directly behind the wheel, almost like a super fov setup without the super fov part :rolleyes:

First test version looks promising. I have a new design in mind but I cant start to work on it until tomorrow, its already 1 am here... ^^

IMG_20170617_005329.thumb.jpg.ae82f028b99a1283d360bead63bdc6e0.jpg