Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fanatec handbrake on PS4

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am getting a bit crazy of all the mixed and mostly old "signals" i find on the internet about the fanatec handbrake.
I'd like to know if it is able to use the fanatec handbrake with their usb adapter on ps4?
Please only comment if you know for sure it works or not, i know what fanatec says about the items.
So if you use/tried it in this combination let me know if it works or not.

A little back story....
I started my quest for an analogue handbrake some time ago as i am using a th8a as on/off button handbrake now.
In my search i found a german project cars forum stating they make their own handbrakes with a 10k Ohm 90º pot connected through the fanatec usb adapter.
Whilst i'm not willing to make a handbrake because of lack of time, i thought i would just use the fanatec handbrake in the same way.
Looking all around for this results in very much mixed signals of whether or not it can be done.
I have read some that say it can be used like this, others only via the base, next say only via pedals connected to usb with the adapter etc etc.
What bugs me most is that fanatec says the handbrake can not be used standalone and the adapter is not ment for ps4.
This while others explicitly use this adapter to build their own home build handbrake and get it working as long the games let you map the input type.

I am using the t300 base with T3PA pedals and the th8a for now as handbrake later might use it as shifter.
I play dirt rally, project cars, assetto corsa(don't think the handbrake will work their because of the lack of button mapping).

Thanks in advance!
Anton

I am in the same boat as you Anton. In my search for answers I came across a swedish Youtuber called vajbTV, who (through his subscribers crowdfunding) came to be in possession of a fanatec v1 handbrake and using it on ps4 to play dirt rally. I had a pretty long conversation in the comments section of one of his videos with the guy and he said he just plugged it into his usb 3.0 hub which was connected to his ps4 and it worked. 

He said that whilst mapping the buttons in the menu on dirt rally, the game recognised the handbrake as an axis rather than a button. Like a clutch pedal. I've since bought the same handbrake and tried it but with no luck. I found on fanatec's website that if the usb adapter is going to be used for console it must have the firmware switched to a different one than from factory. Which is available from their website. At which point my laptop died. And I don't just mean battery wise. So as soon as I fix this I will be attempting the firmware change and trying again. 

I think that info for the standalone Fanatec HB to work on PS4 is false! The only option to work plugged in something without Fanatec wheel is with Drivehub adapter and combined with G wheels or TM with that adapter.

2 hours ago, Brian B said:

That's fine.  I returned my Thrustmaster stuff and I'm looking at buying the Fanatec wheel base, pedals, brake, etc. and just get the drivehub to make it all work easily with the PS4.

Awesome!