Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gaming Up Sims & Favorite Win - Beyond the Gloves EP. 6

9 posts in this topic

For me, I enjoy a dynamic type of single player progression. The later Forza titles do a good job of this. No two paths are likely to be the same. AC and RF2 would be awesome if they had some kind of dynamic career like this. Since they both are mod friendly, perhaps a career mod could be made for both. I would even pay 5 or 10 dollars for such a career mode if it went deep enough.

I use to run against the AI way back with NASCAR 1-4, but once I started racing against other people the willingness to race the AI just went away. One reason I've never enjoyed AI racing is because they always seem to be racing unrealistically.  They seem to be able to either drive faster in turns, than is normal or they brake way more earlier than is common.  When this happens in really ruins the experience.

When I do run in single player it's usually just to jump in a game/sim and run a few laps just so I can check it out or it's updates. Usually after about 30 mins to an hour I've had enough.  Now this is bad, because I just don't get to fully experience all the titles that I own. :/  I mainly race oval stock cars. Sometimes wish I could learn or practice more road course racing in other types of cars or series, but I just can't sit long enough by myself to learn nor do I have the time to find an online group to learn from.  

You guys mentioned a little about racing multiplayer in split-screen or over a LAN.  I own a small game center and as a side business I run LAN based sim racing leagues with a 13 pc station setup at my store and I have made 8 home-made racing stations that I take off site for different events or leagues.  So this might also be the reason why I'm a little partial to multi-player over racing against the AI.;)  

For another topic of discussion for your show.... I'd like to know what take is on damage models in sims?  Both in graphical damage models and physics wise.  It always seems you either get great racing physics with lackluster damage model or you get an arcade racing title with arcade racing physics, but pretty cool damage model.  Now I would say that the gap between this is always getting better, but I just wish we could get racing physics of (fill in with your favorite sim here) and a damage model of say BeamNG. It just gets so frustrating to keep you car clean and not make contact with anything, then to see a guy bounce off a wall and he still is able to maintain normal racing speeds, when you know he should've sustained enough damage, that it should be hampering his performance.

Plus I think titles need to amplify damage and it's affects, because it's really the only way to strike fear into a driver. We just don't have the fear of harm or death in sim racing like you would in real life racing. 

My thoughts (hope it all makes sense) and keep up the good work!

Can we ask questions for future episodes with Tony here? 

Why there isn't oficial "trading paints" feature on iRacing. Trading paints is so popular, commonly used and necesary in streams etc, why it isn't in service? What ISRTV think?

15 hours ago, gt99 said:

Can we ask questions for future episodes with Tony here? 

Why there isn't oficial "trading paints" feature on iRacing. Trading paints is so popular, commonly used and necesary in streams etc, why it isn't in service? What ISRTV think?

If iRacing offered the service they would be liable for the trademarks (logos) and copyrights (paint schemes) used, aka have to pay.  A third party service doesn't have this issue.

Watching the episode now, so you may have covered this, but I want serious sims to include a proper "driving school".  GTR2 has a great driving school, and even GT5/6 has a series of events that attempt to teach proper technique and etiquette.  The vast majority of what I do practicing for league races is not just learning tracks, but working on my driver skills and techniques for being fast and also being comfortable in close quarters traffic.  There is a huge opportunity to "gamify" driver development, and I'm not aware of any modern sim that does this.

I think it would be cool if they had some kind of credit system in iRacing, where if you win a race, or finish on the podium, you can earn some credits that will go towards a car, or a track purchase, or a month's subscription.

They would obviously need some way to police this to stop people from creating races with a bunch of friends that would let them win alot, but I'm sure there would be a way to do this.

I should say that I have yet to actually try iRacing as I'm waiting for the rest of my equipment to arrive before I dive in, so they may have something in place like that already, but if they don't it would be cool to implement something like that.

On 15-3-2017 at 4:24 AM, CShelton24 said:

I think it would be cool if they had some kind of credit system in iRacing, where if you win a race, or finish on the podium, you can earn some credits that will go towards a car, or a track purchase, or a month's subscription.

They would obviously need some way to police this to stop people from creating races with a bunch of friends that would let them win alot, but I'm sure there would be a way to do this.

I should say that I have yet to actually try iRacing as I'm waiting for the rest of my equipment to arrive before I dive in, so they may have something in place like that already, but if they don't it would be cool to implement something like that.

There are high profile leagues that have price money on offer for the league winner. There are also bonus credits earned for participation in official races that can earn up to 10 iracing credits in a season. So in some form this already exists.

Missed opportunity. Video of: "A DIRT car fly's through the air to a certain doom.". John: "O No, Tony has been killed by Newtonian forces forcing his car in to the ground from hundreds of feet in the sky!" . Billy: "So he is not coming on then?"

Is Tony rescheduled for a show in the near future? Was really looking forward to a new Tony interview since it has been more than a year and there was no Irace4life Q&A session.