Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Driving force GT the pros and cons

11 posts in this topic

Hello My name is Bunmi( boomee) I am new at using a wheel to play my racing games on my PS3

I am thinking of getting the driving force GT because its the only one that may fit my budget (I may also look at the G27 if it is that much better I would save up for it)Any ways what are the pros and cons of this wheel how much feedback should I realistically expect from this wheel. Is this wheel still worth it or is it just about obsolete now. What is the best place on youtube to find footage on the wheel.

FYI these are the racing games I have or plan on getting

own SHift 2 Unleashed, GT5 Collectors, Need for speed hotpursuit, Need for speed undercover, Need for sped prostreet,Grid

Games I plan on gettting F1 2010, Dirt 3,split second,Test Drive unlimited 2,nascar 2011,midnight club LA

Shift 1

Pro's the Wheel is awesome and fantastic value for money as good as anyother logitech wheel.

Con's the pedals are rubbish they do the job but are nowhere near as good as G25/27 pedals.

you can always buy a set of G25/27 pedals of ebay or somewhere and buy a bodnar box to make it work with a dfgt but you cant use that combo on ps3

I really like the wheel. The feedback is as smooth as I can expect a plastic gear wheel to be. It is compatible with most everything on ps3 and pc, has lots of buttons, priced well, and looks cool. It includes a sequential stick on the unit itself, so no worries about mounting an extra part. The clamp always worked perfectly for me, and the carpet grip on the pedals actually grips the carpet (which is the best thing I can say about the pedals). 900 degree rotation, and the wheels turns alot faster than the dfp or black momo before it.

The pedals are the worst thing about the package. They work fine, but could really use an upgrade. They are soft and plastic, so don't wear shoes. No clutch either. The paddle shifters are kinda mushy and are really just buttons. Even the DFP paddle/buttons clicked a bit louder when pressed, so I don't know what is up there. The stick shifter works fine but is not like a high end shifter, and is also not moveable (like the momo black). So Limey's who have to have everything wrong will have to adjust to the shifter being in the correct spot ;) I have not heard this compaint much, but my wheel is loud. I don't know if something is wrong with mine or what, but it is kinda loud. It's not so loud when using, just when calibrating. You can not force 900 degree on or off, as with ther DFP. And if FFB settings are not adjustable in game, you can not adjust them in the wheel like the DFP (it had high and low mode only accesible via input code). Obviously, all the Fanatec style adjustments are not availible.

I am currently running this wheel on my PC and this is my list...

Pros:

- Good Force Feedback

- Good Value for Money

- Realiable

- Good Compatibility

- 20 buttons/leavers-etc

- Excellent Mounters

Cons:

- Useless Pedals

- Problems With Some Games With Force Feedback Issues

- Completly Made Of Plactic

- No H Shifter

- No Paddles, They Are Just Buttons

Thats about it, but overall, it's very good value for money!

Scaniabebe

The G27 sucks for GT5 because the buttons are not programmable, but the pedals are great. The DFgt has well thought out buttons on the wheel but the pedals just suck. You can do things to help improve the pedals but they still lack the robustness of the g27's.

Have you considered the Fanatec Carrera wheel? Its 160 and has a clutch pedal, h pattern shifter and decent buttons (though not programmable).

I think you can remap the buttons using the DFP options. It works for the G25, pretty sure I read it worked for g27, which is why I tried it with the g25. Just go into the DFP wheel options and try it out.

Maybe someone should start a thread dedicated to known dfgt pedal solutions lol

You can use g25/27 pedals via leo's converter thing, as two controllers on pc

You can unplug the pot connecters on the dfgt pedals and plug them into the pots on a g25/27 brake and gas.

You can buy the ECCI pedals which will plug into the dfgt

You can use clubsports or other separate pedals on pc as a separate controller

I used to use a Mr. Clean magic eraser under my brake. Worked great until I got a g25.

You can use bungi cords

You can build that rig Mr. Cole posted earlier, with the wooden jig and metal resistor deal.

I guess you can use the innards and build you own set of pedals altogether. Perhaps even replace those springs for harder ones on the brake? It has those springs that kinda look like the springs on a bicycle brake. Might have to reinforce the plastic though.

Well "Boomee",Ive had my Logitech "DFGT" for around 6 months now,and can tell you it's a damn fine wheel,0 problems & No complaints whatsoever~LOVE it!:) there are a lot of people who seem to have major gripes about the stock pedals,and "wheel shifting paddles",[pretty much buttons actually]but I personaly have NO problems with either,I run 0 assist [cept ABS on 1] so good pedal feel is very important,and have never had any "Brake feel" Issues at all,and since I run a lot of FR/MR "High HP/High Torque" cars,and do not use traction control,"Throttle Control is everything~again,NO problems at all with stock pedals,do I prefer the stock "G27" pedals or a sweet set of "Clubsports"? HELL YES!! but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for"and seeing as I got my "DFGT" for 70 bucks NEW![Amazon.com $99.99-$30 dollar Logitech rebate*since expired*] I could not be more pleased with its performance~and while the "DFGT's" price has gone up [[email protected] logitechs home site] you would be well advised to shop around and find the best price,Im pretty sure "Amazon.com" still has the "DFGT" for around $129.99 to $149.99,though they seem to still be flying off the shelves and you may run into a lot of "temp out of stock" Issues.

as far as the racing games you have listed as "having" or plan on "getting" in the future,while I do not own all of the titles & can not vouch for how well they function with the "DFGT",I can tell you "GT5" is simply Amazing with this wheel,& "DIRT/DIRT 2" is also dead on,and though I just picked up "Nascar 2011 the game" it seems it works very well with the "DFGT","MCLA" works stellar also,"SHIFT"/"SHIFT 2" works well..though there is a lot sketchy car handling/physics involved with both these titles,and results can be somewhat decent handling to piss poor horrible and very VERY frustrating, depending on what car you are driving,but it is not exclusive to the "DFGT",and it seems ALL brands and types of wheels act the same,which is too bad because "SHIFT 2U" looks beautiful and while still being TONS of fun with a wheel,it can be VERY frustrating at times,"GRID"[a game I Totally love] pretty much SUCKS when using the "DFGT"[ive ran it with a G27 & same results..horrible] "F1 2010" works like a champ however.

in closing,I really can not say enough good things about the "Logitech DFGT" I absolutley LOVE this wheel!

and IMHO is the best wheel out there for the money~though to be fair and honest,ive not tried some of "Fanatecs" budget wheels,but have heard a lot of very good things about them,hope this helps man;)

cheers.

I never minded the buttons either, except that they are harder to press and don't click as well as the ones on the DFP. The buttons look the same on both, so I don't know why they feel different. Might just be my wheel or something. I would not let that stop me from buying the wheel though.

I never minded the pedals until I got my G25. Now I can't go back. I don't what I will do if I ever get try some really nice pedals.