Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 99: Shift 2 Unleashed First Look

30 posts in this topic

Our preview of Shift 2 Unleashed is here. We take a very deep look at the game and give it some initial testing in many of its modes. We test Shift 2 on the Xbox, PS3 and the PC using various wheels. In this video we also give you some wheel setup tips and point you in the direction of some mods for the PC version.

And like Gran Turismo this is a preview first. This will give us time to reach the higher levels of the game as well as give the developer some time to address some issues. Watch the preview and let us know your thoughts.

I agree with you guys to some extend, career is brilliant, graphics are really ok but this game falls apart for me when it comes to physics. The massive oversteer with some of the work modified cars is ridiculous in my opinion. Front wheel cars is where it really goes downhill for me, i have driven a lot of front wheel drive cars in my life but never had any of them handle like this, go above 15oKmh and the thing is basically undrivable.

I played this with a Fanatec GT3 wheel on the PS3 and maybe thats where it all goes wrong (wheel support in this game is terrible) and i would have a better experience with a PS controller, but he, they said this would be sim like and for me it really isn't even come close to that. The car handling is just to bad to take this game serious what is sad because i love everything else about this game and would love to keep playing it :/

I honestly can't see how you guys can think the physics come close to GT5 and Forza, i wish they where but it doesn't even came close in my experience with this game.

Hi Shaun,

Ever since I got my Turbo S wheel, I restarted NFS Shift 1. It feels really great and I could tweak the settings for maximum efficiency. I mastered corners so much better. When I tried playing Shift 2 last night for the first time, the graphics seemed kind of "fake", but that's probably because of my computer. I'd like to know what are the specs of your computer.

In addition, the steering felt awful in Shift 2 compared to the prequel. Maybe I was tired or something, but I never managed to steer correctly. Mind you that I haven't started career per se, just at the beginning when testing tracks for automatic settings with the Nissan GT-R. When I switched back to Shift 1, everything was smooth again.

I am little shocked you gave ford GT 15/20 for physics but ok. Its much better than shift1 but cars still feel little disconected and unpredictable and no where near the sim like. Just my thought.

I came here to ask how did you setup fanatec wheels on PC. I have 911 carrera and for the life of me I can't get the degrees for steering lock. All I get is the stupid percentage 1-100.

Good preview. I'm on level 20. The FIAGT1 is open, but I haven't got to it. I just won the "works" RX7 last night. It's a screaming blast to drive. I'm having so much fun with all the rest! Finally a Sim for the computer with lots of great cars! And the ability to modify and tune them all up! The racing against the AI is very good. They butt you; but not as bad as on-line people! Ha.

I've got a GTX470 stock speed and a AMD 3 core cpu. So, medium system at best. It runs fine at 1920X1200. With the helmet cam, I don't even need my trackIR or to use three screens. It's very immersive on my 28" screen. If you enjoy racing against 15 AI with lots of different cars. Have a PC comparable or better to mine. Then don't pass this Driving/Racing Sim up. :D

Good preview. I'm on level 20. The FIAGT1 is open, but I haven't got to it. I just won the "works" RX7 last night. It's a screaming blast to drive. I'm having so much fun with all the rest! Finally a Sim for the computer with lots of great cars! And the ability to modify and tune them all up! The racing against the AI is very good. They butt you; but not as bad as on-line people! Ha.

I've got a GTX470 stock speed and a AMD 3 core cpu. So, medium system at best. It runs fine at 1920X1200. With the helmet cam, I don't even need my trackIR or to use three screens. It's very immersive on my 28" screen. If you enjoy racing against 15 AI with lots of different cars. Have a PC comparable or better to mine. Then don't pass this Driving/Racing Sim up. :D

How are the graphics on your computer? What are the specs of your computer? I have AMD Quad-Core 3GHz with HD Radeon 5670 in Crossfire Mode, but I can't seem to have the "nice/real" graphics. :(

PC version with the PTMu v1.51 mod this game is AMAZING ! no more floating physics and It drive like a GTR2 with a very fun carreer

Yes it need a big computer and the feel of the grip is not perfect.

Yes the AI are agressive.... if you play dirty, leave them alone and they will too.

I was Waiting For a Quick Review...becouse they re opinion was worth to me!!!

But i would like to know if Shift 2 works with the T 500 RS ??? no Word on the Review or in the comments

but really dont wanna wait now 2 Months for a Full Review...ok i have a Porsche Wheel too could buy it for Xbox or Ps3 ?any Sugguestion??? but too no Word witch version is Better!!! :?

I was Waiting For a Quick Review...becouse they re opinion was worth to me!!!

But i would like to know if Shift 2 works with the T 500 RS ??? no Word on the Review or in the comments

but really dont wanna wait now 2 Months for a Full Review...ok i have a Porsche Wheel too could buy it for Xbox or Ps3 ?any Sugguestion??? but too no Word witch version is Better!!! :?

Shift 2 does not work with the T500 yet.. In regards to PS3 or XBox, go with XBox.. The compatibility on the PS3 isn't as good. It feels good though on the 360 with the GT2.

I'm glad to see that this is up! I'll be sure to Check it out when I get home tonight....

I just noticed Shaun's avatar - if you keep sim-driving and talking on the phone, you're gonna cause a sim-accident, lol! ;)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the preview, especially the wheel settings. I have to say I have found the game very hard to play. I have a good PC with 5970 graphics and a G25 wheel and it seems there is so much lag you just can't steer properly.

Looking at your video showing the screen and the driver, the lag between the driver turning the wheel and what shows on the screen is considerable, to say the least and I think this is what ruins the game. I hope the patch fixes the problem.

Shift 2 does not work with the T500 yet.. In regards to PS3 or XBox, go with XBox.. The compatibility on the PS3 isn't as good. It feels good though on the 360 with the GT2.

@$%"£!^%$£"$!"%^$^&£$& !!!!!!!!!

Let me guess, no FFB ??? This applies to PC also ?

thanx for you re answer...Ok Then i gonna Buy the 360 Version ...And Play it with the Porsche Wheel :)

So picked up Shift2 for PC, I was going to wait for the patch but couldn't pass it up for $18 seeing how much I enjoyed the original Shift.

To me the graphics are not nearly as good as the 1st. I know Shaun talked about it on the preview. But I have detail maxxed out and am getting 65-80 FPS. Also the FFB feels lie it's just giving feedback for curbs and bumps.

Running an i7 2600k, GTX 570 Fanatec PWTS 911 Clubsport.

Here's 2 pics from to compare, I didn't take the time to make exact same circumstances but I think it shows the difference. I also resized them so the files sizes weren't huge... Shift 1 is the Mazda

http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/amansir/shift/?albumview=slideshow

I think part of the difference is lighting but Shift 2's textures look so flat and dead. And Shift 1 had 8xAA, whatever "high AA" is in Shift2 doesn't look like 8x

I am planning on ordering this game for the PS3, I would go for the PC version but my computer isn't up to and I am already investing into a PS3. Are there any major problems with the PS3 version?

Scaniabebe

I may try messing with it, just been ages since I’ve had to fiddle with AA via drivers, and Shift1 8Xaa looked great. Also I read that there will be a new anti-aliasing option after the patch. It’s MLAA, I thought that only AMD supported it so far but we’ll see.

I’m getting used to the art style the more I play, just that the lighting and textures look very different to me from 1.

I'm enjoying the game though :)

I tried your FF settings, (you made for a G27) on my G25. They were pretty terrible. There was plenty of force, but no effects at all! In fact, I have to uncheck the "allow game to adjust settings" in the Logitech Profiler to get any effects. Other then the pull to center the wheel.

The best I've come up with so far. In the Profiler: Overall Effects 120%

Spring Effect 10

Damper Effect 5

[checked] Centering Spring 10%

Degrees of Rotation 550

[Do Not Check]! Game Settings- allow game to adjust settings

In Game Menu Over all force feedback 100%

Steering Sensitivity 75%

Steering Lock 550%

If you have a G25, maybe even a G27, you might want to try these.