Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NASCAR The Game 2011

16 posts in this topic

Here's our first look at Nascar The Game 2011 by Eutechnyx and Activision. I take you under the hood of this new title on the XBox 360 and PS3, the first in years on either system with the NASCAR franchise.

We tested this game on both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 with the Fanatec Porsche GT2, and Logitech DFGT and G27 wheels.

Nice video Tom, thanks for sharing! Looks like a good game, lets just hope they get it all running good and bring it over to Europe. Do they also do this game for the PC?

Hey Tom thanks for the video, would you be able to comment on what fps are like? I am as fussy as it gets when it comes to wanting completely smooth movement and GT5 for example really frustrates me from this aspect due to the roof camera only providing consistently smooth frames. It really destroys the feeling of being in a car in my opinion and ruins subtle steering moves. I moved most of my racing over to a very powerful pc to avoid this prob as much as possible but I'm intrigued "with this one and wondering whether to take the plunge......

Cheers.

Tom

Thx for the preview guys, i am a bit disappointed that game devs release a game like this when it's clearly not ready yet. I just wait on the patch that will give Fanatec functionality and then import the game from the US :)

Hey Tom thanks for the video, would you be able to comment on what fps are like? I am as fussy as it gets when it comes to wanting completely smooth movement and GT5 for example really frustrates me from this aspect due to the roof camera only providing consistently smooth frames. It really destroys the feeling of being in a car in my opinion and ruins subtle steering moves. I moved most of my racing over to a very powerful pc to avoid this prob as much as possible but I'm intrigued "with this one and wondering whether to take the plunge......

Cheers.

Tom

Hey Tom,

I haven't paid special attention to that yet, but I'll try to give you an answer on that. It may take me til the full review, I'm bouncing around a lot with Shift 2 and some other up-comers :) I'll check that out for you though.

Thx for the preview guys, i am a bit disappointed that game devs release a game like this when it's clearly not ready yet. I just wait on the patch that will give Fanatec functionality and then import the game from the US :)

Yeah We're guessing at this point that they were under some serious pressure from NASCAR to release. They have the tendency to be a bit pushy sometimes. We'll mention that in the full dealio but something to ponder.

Thanks a lot Tom, I am mucking about with Shift 2 also, quite a bit of "bouncing'' indeed! Frustrating lack of T500 support and slightly odd physics, something makes me keep going back to it though.....

Enjoy your review work on these ones!

Cheers.

Tom

looks like a fun generic console arcade racer to play if ur into that kinda thing. wouldnt put anyone who drives it into a real stockcar though...

seriously please don't put it on the shibami, its not on the same level as rf ,iracing ,gtr, asr, rbr, or any realistic sim. the rev scale is adequate enough.

also, a word on the FFB, if ur comparing it to other console games and saying that its very good compared to GT5 or w/e then i get that. comparing apples to apples there. but if ur comparing it to a real stockcar, then its not close at all. stockcars dont produces the effects that sim racers get out of steering wheel controllers. they just have increased turning resistance at higher speeds. all the tire loading and weight transition is felt through the seat of the pants. comparing the game FFB to real life feel would be comparing apples to oranges.

i dont mean to sound rude or anything here, just trying to get a point across is all.

also, a word on the FFB, if ur comparing it to other console games and saying that its very good compared to GT5 or w/e then i get that. comparing apples to apples there. but if ur comparing it to a real stockcar, then its not close at all. stockcars dont produces the effects that sim racers get out of steering wheel controllers. they just have increased turning resistance at higher speeds. all the tire loading and weight transition is felt through the seat of the pants. comparing the game FFB to real life feel would be comparing apples to oranges.

Ah yes but as sim racers, the only choice we have is to trick our brains into "feeling" those seat-of-the-pants sensations by showing them visually and transmitting them through FFB. So when I say it's good FFB I mean it can accurately portray what the car is experiencing in-game, not necessarily that it's 100% spot on accurate to real life. Unfortunately we have to make certain concessions to have a fun experience as sim racers (well at least until full motion sims are $2 :D )

Good preview, Tom. As big riddled as it seemed, I gotta ask - it kinda makes you wonder how the game passed both Microsoft and Sony quality testing, huh?

Oh, and with regard to the PS3 version being region-free, there is still an issue of signal compatibility isn't there? I think I recall that even with HD, a different transmission standard was ratified in Europe, leaving the two regions in a debacle similar to the old NTSC-PAL issue? Any Europeans care to chime in?

Good preview, Tom. As big riddled as it seemed, I gotta ask - it kinda makes you wonder how the game passed both Microsoft and Sony quality testing, huh?

Great question. I'm not sure what they're checking for exactly but hmmmmmmmm.... good question!

Oh, and with regard to the PS3 version being region-free, there is still an issue of signal compatibility isn't there? I think I recall that even with HD, a different transmission standard was ratified in Europe, leaving the two regions in a debacle similar to the old NTSC-PAL issue? Any Europeans care to chime in?

I had read that HDMI wasn't region specific like that but perhaps that's old info. Anyone have any info on it?

Just found this on Yahoo Answers from 7 months ago:

"Here it is broken down. NTSC and PAL are video signals used with composite and component (and S-Video) cables. An HDMI cable is universal for the world, and doesn't use NTSC or PAL video signals. This means, as long as the content is region free, you can use any device to watch any content from another region that is a different video signal when using an HDMI cable.

In simple terms:

PS3 games are region free, which means you can play and PS3 game on any system in the world as long as an HDMI cable is used."

Just found this on Yahoo Answers from 7 months ago:

"Here it is broken down. NTSC and PAL are video signals used with composite and component (and S-Video) cables. An HDMI cable is universal for the world, and doesn't use NTSC or PAL video signals. This means, as long as the content is region free, you can use any device to watch any content from another region that is a different video signal when using an HDMI cable.

In simple terms:

PS3 games are region free, which means you can play and PS3 game on any system in the world as long as an HDMI cable is used."

I have Demon Souls on PS3 imported it from the USA, its got the US box art etc. Works fine on my PS3 and even the online worked fine i cant say that NASCAR 2011 is going to work online but i see no reason why it wouldnt, you'd need someone to confirm it i guess