EMI issues with OSw's
1 1

9 posts in this topic

My Lenze OSw is causing trouble with my HE pedals.

I'm using two of these earthing cables from Dennis Reimer:

Dennis Reimer earthing cable.jpg

They are placed between the HE pedal controller and the PC. Three of these cables go to each pedal, one to the seq. shifter and one to the handbrake.

It just happened in Assetto Corsa that throttle went up to 100% and all pedals froze. Apart from that the interferences are detectable on these calibration bars in game and in DIView. There's a constant flickering even though I do have dead zones set up.

As soon as I turn off the OSw the interferences are gone.

You got any idea what other things I you do in order to get that under control?

Thanks

1) Do you have ground from servo face to controller earth.

2) Pedals controller, is it grounded http://www.h-engineering.net/service-bulletin-3-sim-pedals-pro-ultimate/

I have Joe Sullivan's build, Mige not Lenze though, and have no EMI issues with HE pedals just using 1 and 2.

HE Handbrake had given me some troubles as it didn't come with controller grounding cable, so I did what Jason Jodarski recommends on Handbrake controller side, the soldered wire goes to the ground.

Capture.PNG

There is also Beano's instruction on EMI, I've snatched from iRacing, see attached doc. 

EMI_Grounding.doc

Edited by Andrew_WOT

the constant flicker is perfectly normal, just add manual deadzone in  diview and the game wont even notice you have it.

For example: my throttle flicker from 12200 to 12500 something like that, depends on the mood, besides that I do like a bit of deadzone on my throttle. So I set it to 13000 inicial travel. Easy peazy.

The ground wire its only connected to the brake pedal to one of the ground pins on the pcb  "MAKE SURE YOU DO HAVE IT CONNECTED TO A GROUND PIN AND NOT A BUTTON PIN" (dont be like me first time I connected them xD)

Edited by Joao Dario

There is always some fluctuation with load cells, it should be approximately the same with OSW on and OFF (emergency stop engaged), if there is a big difference than you are dealing with EMI. 

From HE Service bulletin

In specific situations (not always) these systems may cause interference on the pedal signals of the Sim Pedals Pro & Ultimate:

• A variance of zero to two (0-2) RAW output on any pedal, when the pedal is not pressed, is acceptable and within spec. This is considered to be a stable signal.
  • A variance larger than 2 (>2) RAW output on any pedal, when the pedal is not pressed, may be caused by interference from a Direct Drive system.
  • Any unintended jitter or spikes (for example the pedal output maxes out to 100% for a very short period of time) on the pedal output may be caused by interference from a Direct Drive system.

(Please note that the numbers above apply to 12bit controllers with a range of 4096 per axis. For 16 bit controllers with a range of 65535 per axis, these numbers should be multiplied by 16).

7 hours ago, Andrew_WOT said:

1) Do you have ground from servo face to controller earth.

2) Pedals controller, is it grounded http://www.h-engineering.net/service-bulletin-3-sim-pedals-pro-ultimate/

There is also Beano's instruction on EMI, I've snatched from iRacing, see attached doc. 

Thanks a lot, Andrew. That word file is awesome...explains it really well. Beno is a champion.

I'm in touch with Svend of HE and they'll send me that wire going from the pedal to the ground pin on the controller. It seems to double up the cables I got from Dennis Reimer though. Anyway, I'll put it in...see if it makes a difference.

There's no cable going from the motor to my controller. I will definitely do that as well...pretty much follow Beano's instructions.

Hope that works.

Cheers

Hi Thirsty Racer,

Can I ask where you got the Dennis Reimer earthing cable from? I'm having emi problems with my rig I need to resolve. I've looked online for information about Dennis Reimer, however i cant find anything.

Regards

Neil 

On 8/1/2019 at 5:29 PM, Neil Collis said:

Hi Thirsty Racer,

Can I ask where you got the Dennis Reimer earthing cable from? I'm having emi problems with my rig I need to resolve. I've looked online for information about Dennis Reimer, however i cant find anything.

Regards

Neil

Hey Neil

Sorry about the late reply. I purchased my OSw with Dennis I think in 2015...and I got the cable with it.

As far as I know he doesn't build DD wheels anymore. I've just given my cable away to a mate as I've got myself a Simucube in the meantime. It did fix his EMI issues...doesn't help you, I know...just saying they work. Sorry I can't help.

1 Ground the rig . Create a wired connection to a diy plug. Plug it to a grounded socked on your wall. Make sure your electrical socket on the Wall is actually grounded properly. do that check  with a voltmeter (sometimes that s not the case if done by a lousy jobber)

2 Ground the DD wheel , especially the motor with a wire to the rig or to a wall socket

3 ground each device , to avoid flickering etc

that should be enough. 

PS the Dennis Reimer usb mod is ok as long as your rig is also properly grounded . what it does is make a connection between the shield and GND of the device to the GND of the rig that is also grounded. in a nutshell everything should be connected to the electrical wall socket GND one way or another...

Edited by abss