Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 98: Gran Turismo 5 Final Review

17 posts in this topic

Sorry we didn't post this sooner..

Here's our final review of Gran Turismo 5. This is not your average review as it comes after over 69,000 miles of combined driving and nearly finishing the career mode in order to cover every aspect of the game. In addition to the full review we also give you some tips to help you conquer the game. We also bring back Top Sim Car of all time in order to put another car from GT5 on the list.

Hope you enjoy the show !

Thanks for taking the time to grind through GT5 and give us a report on the game! :)

'Only' 95% complete is an awesome achievement and everyone at ISR should be proud! This makes me wonder how far the other gaming sites/mags got through GT5 before turning in their reports the same day or few days after the game release? ;)

Great review you guys, I agree with the "grinding" aspect of the game. That is definitely the low spot of the game. It would have been nice to see you guys get to level 40 in A-spec. I am level 40 A-spec and level 40 B-Spec with well over 150,000 miles driven and coming up on 1000 vehicles. The Mazda 787B is a definite candidate for Top Sim Car, but there are faster race cars in the game, such as the Nissan R92CP :)

Nice to see the final part of this.

Well done!

Good mentioning of the ButtKicker, GT5 certainly uses tactile quite well on most cars and tracks.

Maybe that's something to consider for future reviews is mentioning how good the "Tactile" is in the games reviewed. Shame the review didnt go into the 3dtv and multiscreen options to get your comments on how those enhance the game. It would be great if ISR was able to test/compare games like GT5/FM4? at their technical best too as you give good reports and no other reviews tend to cover such in the detail you do.

You really though, should try to do a later video on the triple screen support as it totally transforms the games enjoyment immensely. Shame the head tracking only works in TT mode though and no LAN play modes.

I really enjoyed the eview, and agreed almost entirely despite not having played nearly as much. I was glad to see you revisted the Top Sim Cars score since the addition of mechanical damage. My personal favorite car in the game is the Ferrari 512BB.

One thing you did not mention that really bothers me about the game is the repair costs in GT Auto. It's just insane, and unless I am missing something there is no way to tell how bad off your car is in needing engine or chasis rebuild. I finally ran an endurance race, the Indy 500, and it was horrid. I don't understand why PD thinks that is fun. I think it's a symptom of the failure of Japanese game companies to realize the new trends in gaming since 2002. Not just GT5, but numerous Japanese companies have failed to evolve the more tedious aspects of their games. I just don't see the fun in running the same race over and over to build up some insane amount of money to buy a car I want to drive. It was boring in 1998 and it's boring now. I understand slowing access to the top end cars, but I think the driver level would be sufficient.

That said, I have had alot of fun racing with different people and leagues the past few weeks, when I have the car I need. The performance points could use some tweaking, but overall it works decent for mixed class racing. If they gave a little more host control and added qualifying, it would be great.

The thing which eventually put me off GT5 and I decided not to buy this game nor PS3 was that grind and B spec. I see no fun in leaving the console on for hours for just some virtual driver to run races. And you have to give him a much faster car many times so he can win them, as watching him drive is painful.

I visit my friend who does this grind and he always is telling me about his achievements, and I stay for few hours to get some trophies on events he cannot pass. This is the part of the game I really enjoy, staying on the same track for hours to get that tenths of seconds of the time to get gold. I really enjoyed fighting for gold in the AMG academy with the SLS on the whole track. Took me like 4h. Or the trophy with the Alfa C8 on the short track to reach the 1:07 lap time. But when I see him getting a much faster car and just going through the races meaninglessly just to add up on these EXP's that is soooo boring. Of course you could do this in a similar car as the competition, but running same races over and over that is dumb. Each level should have its few special events and trophies to win, and if someone passes them all on gold and gets the same on all races on that level that should be enough to progress further. If someone can't get gold somewhere, grind that missing EXP out then on other events.

And why couldn't they have made a simple engine for the B spec, where the virtual driver would actually be impacted by what we do in the track? The better drivers we are, the better he would get. I mean all it takes is getting some basic statistics, like the number of crashes we have, the number of time we retry races, what trophies we have etc and get an algorithm that would turn these numbers into how fast and effective our virtual driver would be. That would make some sense. And make the game more meaningful. So by our driving we would in fact be teaching him, like he was on the passenger seat with us on all races.

The grind is all part of the game which isn't designed to be finished in a hurry. Some will play GT5 for several years. Even if regular play should allow completion within 3-9 months I don't see the real need for the game to be completed as quick as many others are. Their continued support of new races is excellent and is like episodic content helping to keep interest in the game.

Yes repeating events can be boring at times but id like to know why the heck they mentioned or done 11x 24HR races in B Spec when after doing the one required their are much easier ways to gain more money and increase your level.

The patch for saving progress within long events will help matters too and let's hope improvements for the game keep coming.

nice review

i would have given game an 88.

but i do hate the AI and the grind post lvl 30 is really bad.

wish also you could fastforward b spec - you could in the past. it's not a problem for lower lvl b spec but doing it for the endurance races it's a b****. hope my ps3 won't die on me - already had one that died. anyway doing this now as new one is still under warranty

i fail to understand the point of remote races!? dumb feature imo. would rather have engine sounds that don't get destroyed when i put a turbo. lesson learned and not adding turbos anymore to spoil them

am lvl 30 in a spec and can't get around to grind endurance in a spec. at least put a save point, no way i will attempt 9hr or 24hr races

however i love the special events (probably best events imo) although still missing a few gold :( Redbull challenge, eiger race with Alfa romeo C8, and a several in amg challenge :(

another cool thing was the bonus race season events, which was a great way to make some cash and get good xp - hope they come back since not had em since feb. otherwise i will never get to 40

think you forgot to add weather, day/night as a pro in your shibami. and the fact that you can rally, street, oval and circuit race is also something no other game offers AFAIK . those snow stages were pretty intense - some better than others (ie chamonix was excellent not sure about that other track in Antartica or something, a bit poor for map making skills imo)

anyway still playing it (lvl 30 a spec - 35 b spec - 95% game complete - 74% trophies) and still working on getting the last few golds on Special events and 1 missing gold for license that stupid cone challenge with the green toyota - it's driving me nuts :evil: - after that i will be done with this game since no way am A-spec endurance races

was also a bit pissed off when i saved to buy a ferrar1 F1 and i couldn't race it in any event :shock: 12m wasted ! at least they had that one seasonal event with the ferrari came out after - i had the car for it :roll: anyway i don't like those open wheelers - way too violent in handling for my tatse - my T500 rips my arms off with those - i actually have more fun driving the classic ferrari 330 P4 or alfa romeo from the 60s ;)

in fact i would say the Alfa T22 by Zagato is my fav car - you guys should try it -> definetly should be in top sim car - sounds great, looks amamzing and just so much fun to throw around corners

I remember thinking the same thing when I bought my "2007" :lol: They are fun to race online with other F1's. I also have a T500 and it sure is more difficult to drive an F1 then it was with just a controller.

was also a bit pissed off when i saved to buy a ferrar1 F1 and i couldn't race it in any event :shock: 12m wasted !

Thanks for a relatively balanced review. I was hoping, however, that you might touch on the serious issue GT5 has with the whole dual-physics model. I noticed in your review that you implied that you haven't done much online racing yet. I expect you'll soon encounter this issue, which ranges from "mildly annoying" to "completely unacceptable" depending on the cars and tracks you prefer to drive.

The quickest way to become quickly acquainted with this issue is to buy one of the cars which is effected most badly, and then take it to a track which exhibits the most severe changes. Personally I suggest the Alpine 1600s and Trial Mountain. Now drive that car offline in practice mode or A-Spec or what have you for a few hours, until you really get the hang of the car. Now go online with the same car, same setup, same course.... Yeah...

I mention this problem because I believe it is the single biggest problem GT5 has (how can we even defend it as a legit sim when the same car, with the same tires, and the same setup, on the same track, can handle two completely different ways?) I don't feel that PD is likely to do anything to fix this problem unless it gets the attention it deserves, and obviously InsideSimRacing could expose this problem to a wide audience.

Rather than go into the entire issue again here, I'll point you to the primary GTPlanet thread regarding this issue (there are also a few other shorter threads).

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthrea ... ent+online

I'll also point you to a couple of videos I made which clearly illustrate the issue:

https://files.me.com/panjandrum/shsfeg.mov

https://files.me.com/panjandrum/8pmvq3.mov

It would probably be best to read the entire thread if you've got time. I and some others spent many hours trying to nail this problem down and figure out the root cause and whether or not it could be fixed.

Sounds like a fair score and no fan boy treatment.I'm still hoping for motorcycles before i buy a PS3 + GT5.I do think you could have concentrated on the variety that GT5 has.From econojunk(ok i don't need grocery getters) to F1.

As a big fan of racing games since the Stunt times I was looking forward to try GT5, but until now I never had the chance.

I have a high end gaming ring, but I like to play any type of racing game, from a top/down easy going fun to a full fledged 2 hour marathon on rFactor1/2 (iRacing ,....).

Oh boy what a disappointment it was. Insidesimracing said it had great physics for a console game. The problem, is as a PC gamer, I had no idea how bad the situation is on the consoles (if GT5 has good physics it must be awful), so as a consumer advice please give a warning that PC simulation games are in a different league.

Still, it is a fun game for 1 or 2 weeks, but the poor sound, hacked physic system to look real, awful loading times and non existent multi-player coordination system will seriously impact the longevity of this game. Of course if this is the best you have ever tried you will be fine, just do yourself a favour and never check what the PC scene has to offer.

@ "Krneki"~lol @ your statement~"Still, it is a fun game for 1 or 2 weeks, but the poor sound, hacked physic system to look real, awful loading times and non existent multi-player coordination system will seriously impact the longevity of this game"~well man, for a racing title that was released over 2 years ago,it seems 'GT5" is still going strong, & with the Release of the "GT5 XL Edition" and it's huge sales,it more than proved "GT5" has some major "Longevity".

I have no Idea what you mean by "hacked physic system"? ..it's funny how there are so many "PC" racers out there that really seem to enjoy bashing "Console" racers in general,what they seem to forget is the fact that ALL console racers have to cater to a vast audience,everyone from the casual Gamer who uses a standard controller,to the more dedicated Gamers/Racers who perhaps use an entry level wheel & pedals & the old 'Desk & office chair" setup,to the guys like me who Run full on Rigs and like yourself enjoy ALL types of Racing/Driving titles,from hardcore "SIM's" to 100 percent "Arcade" Racers ..I enjoy all of em,both on Consoles & "PC".

@ "Awful Loading Times"~I Honestly do not think 'GT5's Loading times are that bad,and when you compare it to a lot of 'PC" Titles where you have to open this Folder,then that Folder,install this & that,etc,etc..I actually think the 'Plug N Play of most console titles let you get right to the racing without all the 'BS" you have to do with a lot of "PC" Titles,also not everyone is a wiz @ that sort of thing anyway,hell even a lot of hardcore 'PC" racers have trouble setting up a new title,just take a look @ the forums,there is always some guy pulling his hair out and screaming because he is losing his mind trying to figure out just WTF he is not doing right.

In closing, I would be the first guy to admit 'GT5" is not perfect,and 'PD" does some things that really make me scratch my head and wonder just WTF they were thinking,I hate the whole 'Premium/standard" cars deal,I think B~Spec is downright stupid,I think having over one thousand cars in the game is somewhat Impressive..but when there are only about a hundred cars worth racing,it sort of is a bit silly to say the least,but thats just me..I Understand that 'PD"/SONY" is trying to keep everyone happy,and in doing so must cater to a broad spectrum of gamers & racers,from the car collectors,to stock car racers,to the F1 guys,to the off road racers,to the street car enthusiast,to the exotic car fans,and that is no easy task..no matter how you look at it,but in my personal opinion,"GT5" & "PD" has gone above and beyond,the fact that even after 2 years "GT5" fans are still getting weekly "SE's" [seasonal events],updates,and an ever changing online Car dealership..I Honestly can not think of another "Dev" who has worked so hard to keep their loyal fans,and for that "GT5" & "PD" deserve major Kudos man,and I for one can not wait for 'GT6",whether it comes out next year,the year after that..or more than likely 5 years from now,I have no doubt it will be a fantastic addition to a top notch stellar series,and even though there will always be "PC" snobs who feel the need to bash the 'GT" Series,I would bet most of them got their start racing in the same series..hehehe.

The problem is once you get spoiled. Once you feel the new PC games on high end systems and wheels you demand this feeling when you try something new. Codemasters for example, they don't make simulations, they make arcade games, but I'm fine with that, the cars are easy to control, but they behave nicely and the FFB does tell you when you have grip or you don't. What I do have a problem with is when a game states that it is a real simulation and there is no simulation.

Sure you would bet most of the PC players in GT5, you have the experience and no matter what the physics is you can't beat experience.

AWD in GT5 are a nice example of no physics, when you go full power in a 1st gear corner the thing is glued to the ground, you expect a nice all wheen drift out of the corner, but there is none.

The most fun I had in GT5 was with zonda, no TC but I enabled the stability control (not sure if it this the right name, anyway it gives you more grip to the back tires when they start to slip under acceleration), the front is grippy as hell and the back is lose under acceleration. So I was doing all the corners sideway, but the fun ended as soon as I realized it was all fake, no matter what I did I coudn't spin. The game feels as fake as a prostitute kiss.