iRacing Mac OS X wheel support?

6 posts in this topic

So I currently do all my sim racing on the console, but I would really like to try out iRacing, I don't have a decent PC yet however we do have an iMac in our house, (don't know from what year it is but it uses an Intel i5 processor with 2,7 GHz I believe). I've read that iRacing is natively supported on Mac OS X since 2013 without having to bootcamp to Windows, but does it have wheel support? I've heard that you can use Logitech wheels like the DFGT, G25, G27 etc, is that true? And what driver do you have to download? Or can you also use other wheels like the Thrustmaster T300/TX? And can you run with 900 degrees and FFB or is it or FFB or 900 degrees? So what I'm basically asking, will I be able to use my Logitech DFGT on iRacing on a Mac? :P Thanks :) 

"Natively supported on Mac" is a bit of a joke.  It's just the Windows version in a Wine wrapper.  This causes performance hits and hardware compatibility becomes a bit of a PITA.  Also it's unsure right now if when DX9 support is dropped, if the Mac version will continue to work.  So basically, install Windows via Bootcamp... you'll have a much better experience.

Alright, thanks for your reply! Is it easy to bootcamp and can you easily switch between Windows and OS X? And is it safe to do it without any danger of losing any files? Sorry I'm asking a lot :P 

bootcamp is on another partition, when you reboot you can choose which os to put on. No danger of loosing file here.

But you will need a windows licence to run on, then you will need to install drivers that bootcamp assistant will create for you

The things with iRacing on osx, it use wine 32 bit which is a joke in those days

PS: I'm a microsoft hater, and I only use windows on my PC for gaming, for others need the whole family use Mac

Edited by mikeyhd

4 hours ago, SN13K3R said:

Alright, thanks for your reply! Is it easy to bootcamp and can you easily switch between Windows and OS X? And is it safe to do it without any danger of losing any files? Sorry I'm asking a lot :P 

As long as you have enough free space on your hard drive (to create the second partition), it's really no issue at all.  And apple makes it pretty simple with their boot loader to switch between operating system.  Zero damage to your files (unless you delete the partition by accident), but backups are always best to be safe.

Okay thanks for taking your time to answer my questions ;) I think the best option is just to save up for a PC which I'm doing right now :) Can't wait to start develing into sims like iRacing, rFactor2, Assetto Corsa etc!