RX 480 or GTX 1060 for triple 1080p 60hz setup?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I’m looking to upgrade to a new GPU this holiday season (currently running an R9 280x), and am trying to choose between an RX 480 8gb or GTX 1060 6gb. Is anyone else running one of these cards on a triple 1080p setup (5760x1080), and what kind of frame rates are you seeing in AC, iRacing, PCars and Dirt Rally?

I also play a few games like SWTOR, SW:Battlefront, and other FPS and 3rd person action games, where I disable my Eyefinity group and just play 1080p on the center monitor. It’s relatively easy to do with AMD’s software - how easy is it with nVidia’s current software?

Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the RX 480, since it has more VRAM, and it sounds like it has better DX12 and Vulcan performance. But if games start taking advantage of NVIDIA's SMP, that might be something to consider as well.

I personally say nVidia over AMD.  Very similar performance on both to my GTX 970... which is fine for most games on triple screens.  The Crew I need to use the 30fps lock or it stutters/crashes (even when at lowest visual settings on 60fps), and (while I never play it) Project CARS is wildly inconsistent track to track (or based on weather and number of cars in view).  But iRacing, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, DiRT Rally, F1 2016, RIDE 2... I can play at medium to high settings (depending game to game) with no problems at all, rarely dropping below 60 fps.  I think nVidia does multi-monitor support better, excluding AMD's support for mixed monitor sizes/specs.

Edited by DjFIL

On 11/17/2016 at 4:38 PM, DjFIL said:

I personally say nVidia over AMD.  Very similar performance on both to my GTX 970... which is fine for most games on triple screens.  The Crew I need to use the 30fps lock or it stutters/crashes (even when at lowest visual settings on 60fps), and (while I never play it) Project CARS is wildly inconsistent track to track (or based on weather and number of cars in view).  But iRacing, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, DiRT Rally, F1 2016, RIDE 2... I can play at medium to high settings (depending game to game) with no problems at all, rarely dropping below 60 fps.  I think nVidia does multi-monitor support better, excluding AMD's support for mixed monitor sizes/specs.

DjFIL, how easy is it to switch from Surround to extended mode, or just the center monitor? On many of my non-racing titles, I prefer to just run on my center monitor at 1920x1080.

nVidia provides keyboard shortcuts for very easy switching.  However sometimes switching surround on/off (instead of just going to middle monitor only, sides turned off) can cause surround settings to reset and need to be re-calibrated each time.

I got yesterday the Asus GTX1060 OC Dual 6Gb. i think i made the right choise. however i think that Amd's eyfinity mode is much more friendly to the user than nvidia's surround. Windows desktop shortcuts can't stay at the correct place each time i restart my pc, it's a huge risk to disable surround mode to play a single monitor game, i will lose surround settings calibration, desktop shortcuts position etc. etc. Eyefinity was pretty much straight forward. i didn't even need to deactivate it to play single monitor games. also nvidia is restricts some things, for example in my Amd i had 4 monitors connected and i had enabled the onboard gpu to connect a fifth monitor. Nvidia on the other hand disables onboard gpu when surround mode is enabled, so i had to get a second card (amd 5450) just to connect the fifth monitor.

On the other hand this thing is a beast, and it's not even the strongest nvidia card. i can now set iracing almost at max settings and still get above 100fps on triples, and i can set AC on normal-high settings and get around 80-90fps

On 12/1/2016 at 4:47 AM, Gregkar said:

I got yesterday the Asus GTX1060 OC Dual 6Gb. i think i made the right choise. however i think that Amd's eyfinity mode is much more friendly to the user than nvidia's surround. Windows desktop shortcuts can't stay at the correct place each time i restart my pc, it's a huge risk to disable surround mode to play a single monitor game, i will lose surround settings calibration, desktop shortcuts position etc. etc. Eyefinity was pretty much straight forward. i didn't even need to deactivate it to play single monitor games. also nvidia is restricts some things, for example in my Amd i had 4 monitors connected and i had enabled the onboard gpu to connect a fifth monitor. Nvidia on the other hand disables onboard gpu when surround mode is enabled, so i had to get a second card (amd 5450) just to connect the fifth monitor.

On the other hand this thing is a beast, and it's not even the strongest nvidia card. i can now set iracing almost at max settings and still get above 100fps on triples, and i can set AC on normal-high settings and get around 80-90fps

Thanks, that's very helpful! 

Since my last post, I've actually come across another way of switching between Eyefinity and a single 1080p. Previously, I would go into the Radeon Additional Settings control panel and click "Enable/Disable Eyefinity Display Group" to switch. But I then had the idea of running a 4th video cable to my center monitor's 2nd HDMI port. I then just switch use the "Windows-P" hotkey to switch between "PC screen only" (Eyefinity) and "Second screen only" (Center monitor only). It's working pretty slick so far - center monitor even auto switches from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. Maybe that might work with your nVidia Surround setup?