Thrustmaster Mini-DIN 5 pin connector - where to find them
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Correction:  I meant 6-pin Mini-DIN.....  (now back to my original post)

Does anyone know a source for buying the 5 pin Mini-DIN connectors used on the Thrustmaster swappable steering wheels?  These same connectors are used on the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar and Warthog joysticks.  It is common that people take a PS/2 connector and modify it to work in place of the 5 pin Mini-DIN, but that is a kludge.  I would like to find a source for actual 5 pin Mini-DINs.  

For example, CUI makes the following:

Female connector:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/MD-50SN/CP-2550-ND/165682

Male Connector:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/MD-50SP/CP-2650-ND/166289

But these particular connectors are too long (the flanges used to mount the connector stick out too much).  The ones used by Thrustmaster have shorter flanges.  There are multiple vendors that make parts exactly like the CUI parts, but I haven't found any vendors making parts similar to the Thrustmaster parts.  I assume Thrustmaster is buying them from an uncommon Chinese vendor, or (hopefully not) having them custom made to fit their needs. 

BTW, Thrustmaster will sell these parts.  It is amazing they do this, and a reason to praise TM customer support.  I have often bought replacement switches or other parts to fix stuff that is not considered "user serviceable".  But I would like to buy them in higher quantity at a more reasonable price.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Drakoz

Ugh, you are right.  They are 5 pin on the HOTAS Cougar and Warthog, but 6 pin on the wheels.  It's the same electrical interface concept using shift registers to convert multiple buttons into a bit stream, but TM added the 6th pin for the wheels I guess.  Thanks for pointing that out.

But, no, it doesn't help with my search.  The 5 pin and 6 pin Mini-DIN connectors are basically the same regarding my search.  There are more options because a 6 pin connector is a PS/2 connector - and hence much more common and popular.  But everyone makes them with the larger flanges like the CUI parts I liinked and I had difficulty finding any Mini-DIN connectors with the smaller flanges like used on Thrustmaster products.  

Although I just realized that on the wheel base, the female connector is in fact a molded cable, not a stand alone connector part like the CUI parts I linked.  So that means I don't care as much there.  

I'm asking because of the desire to make a custom wheel - and I would like to find a source for the mail connector that goes on the wheel.  I don't need the female part for the base.  I have similar interest for the HOTAS Cougar and Warthog, but in that case, I need both the male and female connectors. 

Thanks!

I have also been looking for male panel connectors but i can´t seem to find them anywhere. I have solved the problem by driling a hole in a DSD adapter and glue a 'regular' connector in place. Not so pretty but it works.

din-6.pngdin-6-1.png

Ya, that's exactly the kind of scenario I'm thinking of.  It works, but I'm an EE - I design electronics like this for a living - so I feel a need to be a bit more professional about it. :-)  Funny thing is, designing circuit boards is mostly a shopping exercise.  But in this case, I haven't been able to find the connectors.  I guess I need to improve my connections with the Chinese manufacturers. There are probably half a dozen that sell exactly what I'm looking for. 

For a one off project like what you did, you can buy these parts direct from Thrustmaster.  Just ask Thrustmaster Support and they'll give you a quote. 

You would have to ask TM.  I'm not sure they have such a part, but if they do, contact TM support and ask them.  Aren't all their wheels (and hence wheel mounts) custom molded on a wheel by wheel basis, and as a single piece?  So not something you could use for a custom wheel I don't think.  I assume the one you have was machined.  Did you make it, or buy it?  I was just planning to machine my own stuff as I also run a CNC machine shop.  

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, henrikk said:

I have also been looking for male panel connectors but i can´t seem to find them anywhere. I have solved the problem by driling a hole in a DSD adapter and glue a 'regular' connector in place. Not so pretty but it works.

din-6.pngdin-6-1.png

Where did you get the shift register boards?