Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bucket Seat for DIY Rig

8 posts in this topic

I'm about to start building my own "deathmobile" per Darin and Shaun's plans. I'm taking their advice and getting a seat from a junkyard nearby. I'm wanting to know if anybody here has any experience with that. I don't wanna waste 2 hours of my day wandering around the giant junkyard looking in every car to see if I like the seat.

What cars have nice bucket seats I should be looking out for?

Do I need to bring my own tools to take the seat out or will they do it for me?

Anything else helpful that you might have to offer.

Thanks for your time,

Erich

I think your physical dimensions need to be taken into consideration.  What affects me most are seats that have big side bolsters that are too narrow (I have a wide big back).  That being said, I've found this Racing Seat to fit me ok.

You usually need to bring your own tools--depends on the yard. If you pull it yourself, it's usually cheaper. I've been to a few pull-a-part yards myself. I even had to take a small 12-volt battery and extra wire in order to lower power windows so I could remove the glass.

Any time you go to a salvage yard, allow for some time to walk around and look at your options.

Most imports (especially Japanese) tend to have smaller and lighter seats.

Of course, look for cars that don't have broken or removed windows. Also do a smell and bug test, and check the condition of the padding.

It's a little hard to recommend anything specific, and you never know what the yard will have.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I wound up getting a seat from a '94 Jimmy. The selection wasn't great but it was hard finding a seat that had all four mounting points level with each other and flat. Some points where higher than others or required to be bolted in at an angle. But I found one that had all four points flat and three points that were level with each other. 

So my deathmobile is pretty much done. :)

Photo Aug 22, 8 22 04 PM.jpg

15 hours ago, CaptJeanLuc1701 said:

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I wound up getting a seat from a '94 Jimmy. The selection wasn't great but it was hard finding a seat that had all four mounting points level with each other and flat. Some points where higher than others or required to be bolted in at an angle. But I found one that had all four points flat and three points that were level with each other. 

So my deathmobile is pretty much done. :)

Photo Aug 22, 8 22 04 PM.jpg

Awesome! Seat looks comfortable.