My DIY Wind Simulator
5 5

67 posts in this topic

Just stumbled across this thread.

Just amazing.

Are these kits still available for sale as a whole package?  Website link in first few posts seems to be dead.

Here is a link to my kits.

They are way more powerful than the Sim Racing Studio ones, but they are also a lot more expensive

Fixed the link in the first post also

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/23623-complete-wind-simulators-and-kitsets-for-sale/

IMG_8641_zpsr0jydsuj.jpg

Edited by Avenga76

Yes. This kit looks great and powerful. but the sim racing studio with dual fan is 436 CFM instead of 520 and it costs a fraction of the price.

Plus the fact you can mount theirs with any go pro accessory, it facilitates mounting on any rig...:-)

There is probably a market for both...Great job on your kit

Mines 540 CFM, but it's not all about CFM, they had no airflow straightening, so most of the wind will die off before it even gets to you. You get a 60% increase in wind speed at 600mm using airflow straighteners (See my wind speed tests here)

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/23623-complete-wind-simulators-and-kitsets-for-sale/?do=findComment&comment=207086

Also they are not using any EMF suppression so the coil whine from the PWM switching in their video is crazy bad.

With a few tweaks they could make their system much better.

Anywho, as you say, probably a market for both.

Just a quick update.

I am now offering the TMC blowers as an official upgrade for my wind simulator. The TMC is about 10-25% more powerful than the Seaflo (depending on range) and 4 times more powerful than the fans that Sim Racing Studio uses on their wind simulator. (And yes you can limit the max fan speed)

In my testing I find you get a much better feeling in the difference in wind speed with the faster blowers, you could look at the TMC blowers on my wind simulator like an Accuforce and the SRS wind simulator would be like a G27 compared.

Here is a graph comparing the wind speed at 600mm with all fans and no air flow straighteners. Obviously the closer you have the fans, the faster the wind speed, point blank the TMC blowers are 88KPH.

wind%20speed_zpso6vcd5o8.jpg

Here is the raw data

Model                        Wind Speed in KPH at 600mm
TMC                          42.64
Seaflo                        31.86
Tyhoon 5400RPM     13.24
B Blaster (SRS fan)  12.93
Tyhoon 4250RPM     10.21
Noctua NF-A14          7.24
Noctua NF-F12          1.44

Here is a batch that I am just sending out with TMC blowers

IMG_5074_zps4q3mc5e2.jpg

IMG_5073_zpsaqjx15n1.jpg

Edited by Avenga76

On 04/02/2018 at 4:48 AM, Giba said:

Hey Gilbert, I have to ask if Richard is ok with you advertising your products in his thread? After all the thread is titled "My DIY Wind Simulator". 

Edited by Bushchook

No problem. 

Richard helped me build my product with excellent tips but I understand your point. 

Feel free to remove the post of you deem not correct...

Edited by Giba

I know Richard has given you advice mate which is very good of him, especially when you have made a product that could potentially take away sales from him. That is Richard though, always willing to help.

I think only you can delete your post and perhaps you should. Maybe start your own separate thread like you did on the iRacing forum so that there is no confusion as to who is selling what.  

2 hours ago, Bushchook said:

I know Richard has given you advice mate which is very good of him, especially when you have made a product that could potentially take away sales from him. That is Richard though, always willing to help.

I think only you can delete your post and perhaps you should. Maybe start your own separate thread like you did on the iRacing forum so that there is no confusion as to who is selling what.  

Excellent point. Will do that. I tried from my phone but could not find where. Will do that from my PC at home

I NEED HELP. I CAN"T DELETE MY LATEST POSTS FROM THIS THREAD. CAN an Admin do that for me please !!!!

Edited by Giba

On 2/4/2018 at 1:56 PM, Bushchook said:

I agree. Especially since we are selling competing products. 

I am always willing to help out other Sim racers (even to the detriment of my sales) but we should keep our post seperate. That is why I didn’t post my speed test results in any of your wind simulator threads. If people are looking at my wind simulators and want to see a speed comparison then they can see my testing and see that mine are 4 times more powerful, but I’m not going to go on to your threads and start telling people to buy mine because it is more powerful. 

On 04/02/2018 at 12:04 AM, Giba said:

No problem. 

Richard helped me build my product with excellent tips but I understand your point. 

Feel free to remove the post of you deem not correct...

It really is bad etiquette touting your business over someone else's business thread,,,,but when its somebody that went out of their way to help you out with advice ,, it's a dirty trick in my eyes,,,, No moral standards .

Steve, interesting you say that, but just to be clean, 2 points I want to make.

1) In MY iRacing post, Richard was the first to comment about how his kit was more powerful than mine...It's not a lie, it's a fact, we don't compete with each other. We go for different consumers.

2) Richard and SRS (my company) has partnered. We will be providing shortly our software to his kit. Which will make a much better product.

In summary,  I agree with you that  posting in each other topic usually is considered a dirty trick, but I was not the 1st to do it...:-)

Please, let's get all facts straight before shooting anyone. 

Richard and I are working hard to give you an amazing immersion with 2 different types of wind simulators..

On 8/3/2016 at 6:36 AM, Avenga76 said:

Hi Guys, I just thought I would share my latest DIY project.

It is a wind simulator that will vary the amount of wind based on the speed of the car.

***EDIT***

I am now selling complete wind simulators and kitsets here

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/23623-complete-wind-simulators-and-kitsets-for-sale/

They are available in a fully assembled unit

IMG_8641_zpsr0jydsuj.jpg

IMG_8630_zps4hzl7ydw.jpg

Partially assembled unit (Just add blowers)

Maxi%20no%20fans%201_zpsekfrwffq.jpg

Mini version (Just add blowers)

Mini%201_zps3klrn3zb.jpg

Assembled controller boxes

IMG_2816_zps2cxpc5g9.jpg

Or kitset

IMG_2791_zpsr7v4vhjw.jpg

***Edit 2***

This project is compatible with iRacing Fanboi V2 and it is the easiest way to control the blowers in iRacing

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3505953.page

iRacingFanBoi%20user%20interface_zpsicag

***Edit 3***

I have also finished my personal wind simulator

IMG_2829_zps8fcrtmb5.jpg

IMG_2835_zpsucwucwjk.jpg

IMG_2676_zpsj1c5deqn.jpg

***Original post***

It is built using an Arduino Uno with a Monster Moto shield. It runs off Sim Tools which also runs my DIY motion and it works with any game that outputs the speed telemetry, so it works with iRacing, Dirt Rally, PCars, Assetto Corsa, No limits roller coaster, AMS and tons of other sims.

The Arduino code was written by SilentChill over at the Xsimulator forums and you can find it here https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/simulated-wind-using-monstermoto-and-arduinouno.6876/

I started off with the base components. I am using a pair of  Seaflo 4" In-Line blowers. They are 270CFM each, they run on 12V and pull 6A each,

IMG_2214_zpsnsfpskve.jpg

For the controllers I am using an Arduino Uno and with a Monster Moto shield. I got them without the header pins attached because I will be used some more of them for an upgrade I have planed for my DIY motion simulator

IMG_2253_zpsqqidnup8.jpg

I brought a ton of them so I can also replace the JRK 12V12's in my motion sim with dual Monster Moto's

IMG_2254_zpsuvjpmpvm.jpg

It is really easy to prep the board, just solder the header pins on then wire in the power and fans. If you look on the left side you will see the + and - for the power supply, and on the right side you with see A1 and B1 for the first fan and A2 and B2 for the second fan. The A is positive and the B is negative.

IMG_2257_zpsh79xmi8g.jpg

The Monster Moto then just plugs in on top of the Arduino

IMG_2258_zps6swq5j8f.jpg

After wiring up the first fan I did a quick test to see if it was all working, I have just connected it up to a battery for now. Once I have finished my design I will wire it back to the batteries that power my DIY Simulator.

IMG_2263_zpsgmu231ud.jpg

Here is a video of it running with just the one fan in No Limits roller coaster. I have my multi-meter hooked up to the second fan controller so you can see the voltage vary. It uses PWM so it is actually the duty cycle that is changing but my Multi-meter shows it as the voltage changing. 

Next I made a prototype mount for it, just using some wood and a blank PCB I had laying around

IMG_2281_zpslomitn3c.jpg

The controllers all wired up, you can see the power from the battery at the front of the controller then the power to the fans going out the back of the board.

IMG_2283_zpseb9d291k.jpg

This is the back side of the set up. The fans blow towards the motor on the other side.

IMG_2285_zpskyyyg38l.jpg

Here is a quick video of both fans vs a toy car, it reminds me of that Mythbusters episode when they drove a car behind a jet plane

I then temporarily mounted the fans on top of my Accuforce.

IMG_2290_zps8vjpnycv.jpg

For now while I am testing I have just cable tied a battery up the front of my rig, it is a 9Ah battery so it should be able to run the fans for a couple hours between chargers.

IMG_2292_zpsot09oblb.jpg

It is just secured on with cable ties at the moment. eventually I will make up a mounting plate for them and just run some ducting up.

IMG_2294_zpsoq3rqcxq.jpg

IMG_2295_zpsee80wkxh.jpg

I will also make an enclosure for the controllers 

IMG_2298_zpssw6yjbir.jpg

Here is a wide angle shot of my rig with the fans installed.

IMG_2297_zpss1xapcgr.jpg

It adds a lot to the immersion and it also helps keep you cool. I use the Oculus Rift CV1 so it helps a lot with keeping me cool. It is great for open wheelers and roller coasters.

Can you make a video for the software please from scratch? i cant find how game dash works! I cant find the plugin for asseto corsa and more... . i want to buy but i am afraid  that i will able to set up this  !

From what I heard, Richard is no longer selling his kits. You can buy an easy to use similar kit from www.simracingstudio.com

Plug and race...

10 minutes ago, Giba said:

From what I heard, Richard is no longer selling his kits. You can buy an easy to use similar kit from www.simracingstudio.com

Plug and race...

Thank you for your reply but no, its very expensive - i can build it with 70 euro...-do you know where i can find instractions for game dash ? thank you