My DIY Wind Simulator
5 5

67 posts in this topic

Been doing some more work on my controller boxes.

I have added a 50x50x15mm fan and completely redesigned the lid.

fan%20lid%201_zpsdmyfrqne.jpg

fan%20lid%202_zpsnqpi7rd7.jpg

IMG_2605_zpsku2mzoft.jpg

IMG_2606_zpsv2jsh6za.jpg

Here are some shots of it running

IMG_2608_zpsrr9hdazt.jpg

The fan is right over the heatsinks so it drops the temperature way down. From about 70c on my big 10A fans down to around 30c. Which is only about 5c over ambient.

IMG_2610_zpsuzccbbta.jpg

It also looks damn cool with the LED's on the boards shining up through.

Looks even better at night.

IMG_2622_zpsj4yhtcew.jpg

A little update on my Wind Simulator.

First up, big thanks to everyone who has ordered one of my controller boxes. Another batch went out today.

Can't wait to see them installed one everyone's rigs.

IMG_2653_zpsur27v08v.jpg

BTW, if you are ordering 3D printed boxes from me I can ship them with the fan installed and with the heatsinks if you like.

IMG_2654_zpsd1hys1nx.jpg

Back to my wind simulator.

I finally got around to making the mounting plate for my fans and controller. It is made from sheet metal and uses rivnut.

IMG_2655_zpsiohfoshm.jpg

I also installed rivnuts in to the frame of my rig,

IMG_2657_zpssysahpt4.jpg

The plate fits in like the firewall on a car.

IMG_2658_zpsgof2v3rl.jpg

I will be running ducting up to above the wheel 

IMG_2660_zpsshppf3dd.jpg

I swapped the lid of my controller box over to my fan lid because I will be running the TMC blowers and they NEED active cooling.

IMG_2663_zpskgb7dvw6.jpg

Last week I was testing the TMC blowers on my test bench wind simulator and I was seeing a lot faster wind speeds. So as a test on my main wind simulator I connected one Seaflo (on the left) and one TMC (on the right)

IMG_2662_zpsmoarlpxv.jpg

The two blowers are visually almost identical, all the dimensions are exactly the same except their specs are different. The Seaflo is 6A and it claims to be 270CFM and the TMC is 10A but it only claims to be 230CFM, although the TMC is much faster.

I did a side by side test on the same MM and it confirms the results I was seeing from my test bench. With the Seaflo blowers I am seeing around 65KPH wind speed but with the TMC I am seeing around 80KPH. So a 15KPH speed difference.

Now this speed comes at a cost and that is heat on the MM. Because the TMC is 10A vs 6A it generates a lot more heat. So much so that a heatsink alone is not enough to cool it, you need to run a fan with it. This is why I designed the lid with the 50mm fan for my controller boxes. Without the fan I stopped my test at 80c, with the fan then it stays at 32c. In comparison the Seaflo would run around 40-45c without a fan. You can run the Seaflo with just the heatsink but there is no way you can run the TMC without a fan, it just draws too much. Even with the Seaflo I would personally run a fan anyway, 45c is fine but just for piece of mind I would run the fan. I haven't done testing yet but I suspect you would be getting in the 20's with the fan and the Seaflo blowers.

Now a word of warning, I don't know if I can fully recommend the TMC yet. On my test bench I did see some weird problems. Sometimes one of the fans would turn for half a rotation and then would stop and there would be no status light on the MM for that blower. The other blower would work fine, unplugging the power and USB would clear it but I think it was tripping out one of the protection systems, maybe the overcurrent (it shouldn't do because the peak allowed current on the MM is 30A). I also suspect that it might be a faulty MM because I can't repeat the results yet when running the TMC on my main rig. I am rebuilding my test bench simulator with a new MM and Seaflo blowers just to be on the safe side.

I will do some more testing with running two TMC blowers on my main rig and see if they play ball.

I will report back with my findings, but for now I still recommend the Seaflo blowers because we know they work reliably. If you do want to try the TMC blowers then make sure you run an active cooling fan and heatsinks because they do run hot.

I recorded a video showcasing the speed difference in the fans.

Hi guys.

To follow up on yesterday's video, here is a video on the current (Amp draw) comparison between the TMC blowers and the Seaflo blowers.

Both blowers run under their rated Amperage and the TMC does draw more Amps, 7A for the TMC (Rated at 10A) and 4.5A for the Seaflo (Rated at 6A).

Two TMC blowers will draw 14A so you would need a 20A power supply and two Seaflo blowers will draw 9A so you will need a 15A power supply.

Because the TMC blowers are drawing more you will NEED to run a heatsink and fan because they will overheat without one.

Even with the Seaflo I would personally run a fan anyway, 45c is fine but just for piece of mind I would run the fan. I haven't done testing yet but I suspect you would be getting in the 20's with the fan and the Seaflo blowers.

I tested the Seaflo blowers in my fan case and the MM was running at 27c. without the fan it is around 45c with the heatsink alone. 

The ambient room temperature was 22c so they were only running 5c above ambient, frosty :)

Now a word of warning, I don't know if I can fully recommend the TMC yet. On my test bench I did see some weird problems. Sometimes one of the fans would turn for half a rotation and then would stop and there would be no status light on the MM for that blower. The other blower would work fine, unplugging the power and USB would clear it but I think it was tripping out one of the protection systems, maybe the overcurrent (it shouldn't do because the peak allowed current on the MM is 30A). I also suspect that it might be a faulty MM because I can't repeat the results yet when running the TMC on my main rig. I am rebuilding my test bench simulator with a new MM and Seaflo blowers just to be on the safe side.

I don't think this is fan related. I had the same problem after I rebuilt my test bench rig with a new MM and the Seaflo fans.

It only happens if I click "set fan speed" while the speed value is set to 255. a.k.a full speed. I think the instant zero to full speed is too much for the MM. If you set speed at half speed or ramp up then it is fine. It is not a problem for racing because you would always be ramping up with the car speed.

So yeah, avoid setting the fans manually to full speed as it can cause this problem.

Edited by Avenga76

Another shipment of my boxes and air straighteners ready to go out tomorrow.

IMG_2699_zpsdkqhkg6m.jpg

Back to my own wind simulator.

Finished the mounting of my TMC blowers and controller box, finished the last bit of tidying the wires. still need to run the ducting

IMG_2676_zpsj1c5deqn.jpg

IMG_2692_zpspsxop7sa.jpg

Connected up my USB hub to the bottom of the firewall where my blowers are mounted.

IMG_2677_zpshzvm6wun.jpg

Wired the wind simulator back to my battery bank

IMG_2678_zpsreumiugl.jpg

Just using piggy back terminals to connect everything.

IMG_2679_zpsphvjfscm.jpg

Connected up a 25A inline blade fuse with an LED that lights up when the fuse is blown or missing

IMG_2680_zpsgghpwzyl.jpg

I got a nice bump in speed going up to the 13.8V that my battery bank runs at. You get in the mid to high 70's running at 12V and 85KPH running at 13.8V. The MM can run at up to 16V and the blowers are designed to work off battery on a boat which could be up around 14V while the batteries are charging. Most 12V PSU's have a voltage adjustment so you could try "overclocking" your fans by upping your voltage but do this at your own risk.

IMG_2694_zpswhx04lx2.jpg

I also connected everything up with quick connects so I can swap out fans quickly like you saw in my Seaflo vs TMC videos.

IMG_2698_zpsmjltjree.jpg

Edited by Avenga76

Hey guys.

As Darin said on the last episode of TWISR,  I have been building a wind simulator for ISRTV and I thought I would share some photos

IMG_8641_zpsr0jydsuj.jpg

BTW I love these first two photos, done completely in camera using my tiled floor and a Telephoto L series lens

IMG_8637_zpsdm4v4wvj.jpg

IMG_8599_zpsfpqtb6gc.jpg

IMG_8606_zpsgce2qliw.jpg

IMG_8607_zpstnrckh6o.jpg

IMG_8610_zpsqvddphpq.jpg

IMG_8612_zpsjy4zapvn.jpg

IMG_8619_zpsqbnkp4rq.jpg

IMG_8620_zpsmarasmng.jpg

IMG_8627_zpstznecsvr.jpg

IMG_8630_zps4hzl7ydw.jpg

IMG_8633_zps5dpjxqjb.jpg

IMG_8634_zpsvcqp0pib.jpg

IMG_8644_zpsvcbycawn.jpg

I also did some ISRTV branded air straighteners.

IMG_8646_zpsen033goq.jpg

IMG_8650_zpspbzctpi8.jpg

IMG_8651_zpsdq5ptr2s.jpg

IMG_8652_zpsgjcy1umq.jpg

IMG_8659_zpse7sdkwok.jpg

Hi,

First, i must congratulate you for the good work!

Now, the question:

how the fans react to a fast reduction of velocity? Does the fans have a good amount of momento? In the case of a F1 car, from max velocity to a hard brake, does it keeps up with the car?

Best regards,

Tiago Viana

I finally got around to finishing off my own wind simulator. I have been so busy developing my kitset version that I haven't had time to finish my own.

I have put in all the tricks and techniques I have learnt over the last 2 months of developing the kitset and I am blown away by the difference now. 

In my finished version I am getting double the wind speed of my original prototype.

When I did my first I was getting about 21KPH, my airflow straighteners boosted that up to about 30KPH, and switching to the TMC blowers and increasing the voltage from 12v up to 13.8v has increased the wind speed up to over 40KPH now. It is a bit of a beast now. I just tried it on my monitor so I could keep an eye on the blowers. Over the weekend I will try it with my rift and full motion this weekend.

I mounted my air flow straighteners.

IMG_2827_zpsinwnqajc.jpg

I developed a little T Slot style mounting adaptor for my Accuforce so I could mount stuff like my wind simulator and transducer to the top of my Accuforce. It works really really well. If anyone is interested in a pair then I can print them and send them out to you.

IMG_2792_zpsykapc7c7.jpg

IMG_2794_zpsnhwcghkb.jpg

IMG_2806_zpsg3gv7fwn.jpg

The frame for the ducts are mounted directly to the top of the wheel and I can adjust the height and angle of the ducts.

IMG_2825_zps5ifgnl2m.jpg

IMG_2834_zpsnmjnh4eg.jpg

The ducts come up to about head height 

IMG_2835_zpsucwucwjk.jpg

IMG_2831_zpsb3hgxcs3.jpg

The blowers are mounted down behind my wheel and run up beside the wheel

IMG_2829_zps8fcrtmb5.jpg

IMG_2830_zpscxutvmh7.jpg

On 24/11/2016 at 5:35 AM, stevemontuno said:

Hey Richard ,,,, I like how you've added a transducer to your Accuforce ,,,, What effects are you running through it? 

Mostly engine vibrations for now. I might add some front suspension or road bumps in to the mix.

It works really well. I like the engine vibrations from the transducer better because it is a proper vibration instead of a rotational movement from the Accuforce.

I have been so busy with the wind simulator stuff that I haven't had much time to experiment with other effects on the wheel channel of SimVibe.

Hi, do you think you can use your kit, MM and Arduino, with another program? How did this guy do for AC?

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/easy-diy-wind-simulator-for-assetto-corsa.133999/

Or like that for iracing? I almost exclusively use these two simulators, and it seems a waste of money to buy simtools pro, just for that. thank you so much.

Edited by dedraro

You could but you would have to write your own Arduino code to use blowers instead of PWM fans.

At the moment there is 2 programs that support my wind simulators, the first is iRacing Fanboi that is free but only supports iRacing and the other is SimTools which costs $70 but it supports most common sims.

FYI, those PC fan wind simulators are really weak compared to a blower style one.

I was thinking of maybe making a low cost version of my big wind simulator just for small PWM fans. It won't give you that much of an effect though. Don't know if it would be worth it. My blowers put out 70-85KPH winds, where the little PC fans drop off almost instantly so you only get a few KPH. I could do some tests if anyone is interested.

7 hours ago, Avenga76 said:

You could but you would have to write your own Arduino code to use blowers instead of PWM fans.

At the moment there is 2 programs that support my wind simulators, the first is iRacing Fanboi that is free but only supports iRacing and the other is SimTools which costs $70 but it supports most common sims.

FYI, those PC fan wind simulators are really weak compared to a blower style one.

I was thinking of maybe making a low cost version of my big wind simulator just for small PWM fans. It won't give you that much of an effect though. Don't know if it would be worth it. My blowers put out 70-85KPH winds, where the little PC fans drop off almost instantly so you only get a few KPH. I could do some tests if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the answer, Unfortunately I am not able to use so good arduino, but from what I see pwm 12v fans with power similar to your blowers there are, for example, the Delta like this here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L5XEKOS/ref=psdc_11036291_t2_B008NZSUPQ

Which has 252cfm, are only 18cfm less, perhaps with your airflow printed in 3d, could achieve a similar result, i guess... Perhaps in the long period, they may resent and not be resistant in time as inline blowers such as seaflo.

Edited by dedraro

5 hours ago, kwakaman39 said:

Just stumbled across this thread.

Just amazing.

Are these kits still available for sale as a whole package?  Website link in first few posts seems to be dead.

check a kit ready to use by www.simracingstudio.com.  just plug and race

Edited by Giba