Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Real Pedal" mod to Ricmotech load cell

5 posts in this topic

I've been looking for reviews on this mod as well. Having found none, I bit the bullet and decided to try it out. My first impressions with the Ricmotech V2, as many have said, is that it is far to stiff (too little travel) for most cars. It's great for open-wheelers, but I mostly race in GT3 class cars.

I'll post my feedback on the real pedal later this week.

Finished the install over the weekend and here are some of my thoughts:

Overall, I much prefer the feel of the real pedal spring/dampener. The travel in the pedal isn't drastically increased, but it's a just right amount. Also, pressure on the pedal seems to travel much more fluidly once that second (and third?) stage dampener is reached. I noticed that with the Ricomotech spring/dampener, the first 5-10% of breaking didn't FEEL like it was in contact with the spring/load cell a tall. There was a sort of deadzone is the best way I can describe it in this zone. I understand that one can argue this emulates the resistance in the brake pedal BEFORE the rotors contact the pads, however I don't feel like this is accurate from on my track experience and just daily driving. The pedal should feel like it has an even, progressive resistance, which should eventually become very stiff sans deadzone. The real pedal is, in my opinion, close to this and therefore allows me to get modulate the pedal more accurately, especially went at or near the brake lock limit.

Ricomotech spring dampener:

5-10% deadzone or pedal float --->on load cell (stiff)

Real Pedal:

~10-20% smooth pedal travel --> smooth transition to second stage (I can visually see the secondary stage travel in the pedal after applying quite a bit of force) --> on load cell (stiff)

Physically, the pedal travel is smoother than the supplied dampener/spring. I was getting a bit of audible noise before, it's much reduced now. Though to be fair, I did use a bit of dielectric grease this time.

Just wanted to add, I think the stock spring/dampener is great for open-wheelers, but for a more road/race car feel, the real pedal does better.

Thanks.   I think I will stick with the standard as although I am only just getting back into it, I plan to focus on simming with cars that I occasionally get the chance to drive on track in real life - so Caterham 7 standard, Ariel Atom (and oh how I want to try one of the new Nomads..) and Formula 3000 type things