(Finished) Fanatec Formula Rim Mod and conversion to T500rs base
2 2

34 posts in this topic

After modding my TH F1 Wheel came time for a new project. I decided to buy a Fanatec Formula Elite and converts it to use in my T500RS. Furthermore, I will add a SimScreen display, a controller card LeoBodnar, rotary encoders, a central button and a carbon fiber panel. Below is a picture of the project. Stay tuned, any tip is welcome.

Projeto Fanatec.jpg

Edited by EduardoMoreira

20160907_162156-1.jpg

Hello guys. I made a few modifications to the steering wheel. This is the definitive version. I added red encoders on the sides and put a pair of red LEDs at the top. I will program a arduino uno for this LED light up when a certain RPM is reached. Setup is very simple, just hold the throttle at a given RPM and press the setup button on the steering wheel so that the LEDs light up at that RPM while playing.

Edited by EduardoMoreira

This project is absolutely incredible. It is exactly what I'm looking for. This is a long shot but are you able to make/sell one of these wheels? I'm extremely interested in buying one.

3 hours ago, Ivy said:

This project is absolutely incredible. It is exactly what I'm looking for. This is a long shot but are you able to make/sell one of these wheels? I'm extremely interested in buying one.

Ivy send me a Message that we can talk about the wheel

While I expect the delivery of the LCD display, I decided to use the internal vibration motors of Formula Rim. In the original wheel they are triggered in some circumstances, such as a locked wheel. I decided to connect the motors to shift light. So every time the red lights light up the engines will be fired. Below a picture of the engines installed on the steering wheel and a link of video of the shift light prototype.

https://youtu.be/eueSymPHJeQ

20160924_160510-1.jpg

Hello guys. After a long period of work I was able to return to the this project. I decided to change the simscreen display for a 3.5 inch nextion lcd display. Below the photo of the display and one of the templates that I made. The advantage of using this nextion display is that I can customize the templates the way I want. Now I have to adapt the display to the steering wheel.

20161115_180537-1.jpg

20161115_180513-1.jpg

Hello people. After a long wait, I hope to finish the wheel this week. Since my last post I made some progress. Look at the pictures.

The Nexus LCD panel was cut to fit the inside of the steering wheel.

20161231_162922 (800x450).jpg

The photo below shows the buttons and encoders with the welded diodes, the arduino board fixed on the display and the Bodnar BU0836A  in the central. The wiring that controls the vibrators and red LEDs have also been attached to the Arduino board.

20170107_123529 (800x450).jpg

Edited by EduardoMoreira

All welds ready.

20170114_134601.jpg

I decided to use a fanatec hub because I intend to buy a V2 Base in the middle of the year. To use it on the t500 i converted it using a teensy board.

20170115_191917.jpg

The rear part of the fanatec hub fixed to the steering wheel:

20170114_135541.jpg

Overview of the fanatec hub fixed to the steering wheel:

20170121_163322.jpg

Pretty well done. Nice job. 

I'm also making a formula type wheel and would like to integrate nextion screen and leds.

A the moment, the screen is working with usb ttl and leds by arduino. I've two usb coming out of the wheel.

How did you manage to make the screen and leds work with a single usb ?

3 minutes ago, DavynDominguez said:

Pretty well done. Nice job. 

I'm also making a formula type wheel and would like to integrate nextion screen and leds.

A the moment, the screen is working with usb ttl and leds by arduino. I've two usb coming out of the wheel.

How did you manage to make the screen and leds work with a single usb ?

Davyn, this steering wheel needs four usb connectors: one for display, one for arduino (leds and vibrators), one for Bodnar board and one for fanatec hub. I used radio cables, which has eight channels each, so I can connect two usb connectors on each cable.