Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forza Motorsports 3 Review Up Now !

83 posts in this topic

getting closer, my fourth attempt: 7:23.375

I had to pump the cars hp up so that it could run the same relative top speed as the real car. It now does 192mph which is still slightly slower than it should be. I think to be fair it should do at least 195mph, like the real car can do. The real car was actually faster than its gearing would allow as the driver was banging it off the rev limiter in 6th!

One more try with an equal speed car...

getting closer, my fourth attempt: 7:23.375

I had to pump the cars hp up so that it could run the same relative top speed as the real car. It now does 191mph which is still slightly slower than it should be. I think to be fair it should do at least 195mph, like the real car can do. The real car was actually faster than its gearing would allow as the driver was banging it off the rev limiter in 6th!

One more try with an equal speed car...

My final run 1:22.615!

Top speed was still only 191mph. Had to add a total of 76hp to get the more correct mph. Tires and suspension remained stock.

Remarkable really, FM3 seems to be very close to reality in this case. Same cars with the same approximate top speed at Nurburgring, and almost the exact same times. My Viper has a little bit more time left in it, and even though I was really flying, I'm not the greatest at the ring, so I'm sure others could take the same car down into the 1:21s.

So yeah, I'd still conclude the sim-cars are capable of faster times even when they carry the same top speeds as the real cars. I also don't have to worry about killing myself, and they do. lol

If anyone doubts this time, I'm sure Shawn or Darin can confirm the time for you, and even watch the video replay from my storefront.

VVV GTDon

www.IFCAracing.com

My final run 1:22.615!

Top speed was still only 191mph. Had to add a total of 76hp to get the more correct mph. Tires and suspension remained stock.

Remarkable really, FM3 seems to be very close to reality in this case. Same cars with the same approximate top speed at Nurburgring, and almost the exact same times. My Viper has a little bit more time left in it, and even though I was really flying, I'm not the greatest at the ring, so I'm sure others could take the same car down into the 1:21s.

So yeah, I'd still conclude the sim-cars are capable of faster times even when they carry the same top speeds as the real cars. I also don't have to worry about killing myself, and they do. lol

If anyone doubts this time, I'm sure Shawn or Darin can confirm the time for you, and even watch the video replay from my storefront.

VVV GTDon

http://www.IFCAracing.com

Great driving and thanks for taking the time to do this, it really shortens the waiting time for Forza 3 :)

I do not think you should ad HP, the ACR has more downforce than the standard SRT and that kills the tops speed.

The reason the driver hits the rev limiter is that the gearing of the real car does not allow him to upshift without

loosing speed so he just keeps the lower gear and bangs the revlimiter. He never hits the revlimiter in 6th.

The upper gears on Viper the are just for highway driving and has no pull.

Here is a comparison run with the Corvette and the ACR so you can see the speed, no car gets more than 180Mph

on the final straight, it is an uphill climb to the finish line.

Cool comparison. But still, the real Viper is up against the limiter on the long straight, flat out. Now he's either in 5th or 6th, but whichever, he is out of gears well before the half way point on the last straight. The driver is quoted as saying that the Viper continued to pull and pull, and what it looks like is it pulled its top gear with plenty of track to go.

The video only shows the speed of the Corvette at 179mph, the Viper probably was going faster. If I limited my sim car to 185mph, probably could still hit the record. I did take half of the downforce off that was on the Viper too. Never tried it all the way down.

I'm glad to see the simulation run very close to the real car. Some of the speeds were very different in the corners though. My car was going signifcantly faster on several corners.

VVV GTDon

While I certainly enjoyed your show on Forza Motorsports 3, I gotta call foul. You judged the title based on how it works with a higly specialized limited release wheel. How does Forza Motorsports 3 do with the wheel most folk will be using (ie., the MS wireless FF wheel)?

Note: You guys said it might be worth buying the xbox360 just for this title. That maybe so. But, is it worth buying the Fanatec wheel, clubsport pedals and the xbox360 for the title? Much harder question I would think (especially for those of us who already run with a logitech G25).

Either way, keep up the good work.

The vast majority of gamers will actually be playing with the hand controller. Do you think they should limit their score to how well the game plays with the hand controller?

Personally I think the whole situation with the Fanatec wheel stinks. Only 2000 units produced is a joke, and only available to US and Europe (I live in Australia and we can't even get it here). Microsoft and Turn 10 should be doing big dealings with Fanatec to get their wheel mass produced and a full retail release worldwide just like the Logitech wheels.

Good to see "Richard Burns Rally" getting some love. That game was driving nirvana for me at times.

I also appreciate that console sims are now being judged on their merits and not being dismissed out of hand.

So good work guys and always entertaining :D.

One small point..

Not a fan of the music playing when you were talking, It distracts from what your saying.

I would much prefer no music when you talk, dont know if it was an oversight or something new you tried but me not like it :D

You guys are just amazing!

thanks so much for this episode and the awsome review!

can't wait for my Porsche 911 Turbo S ClubSport Edition and the limited edition of Forza3:-o

regards from far far awy...(switzerland)

Loopan aka Thomi

We ran it with the XBox 360 wheel and it runs nicely. We were actually surprised at how it felt.. Was hard to go back to with a 6 speed and clutch using the 911..

We're going to revisit FM3 and discuss how it feels with the 360 wheel.

I will stand by my 360 seller comment.. I would play it on the 360 wheel if thats all I could afford or had. It kicks ass with that wheel too.

While I certainly enjoyed your show on Forza Motorsports 3, I gotta call foul. You judged the title based on how it works with a higly specialized limited release wheel. How does Forza Motorsports 3 do with the wheel most folk will be using (ie., the MS wireless FF wheel)?

Note: You guys said it might be worth buying the xbox360 just for this title. That maybe so. But, is it worth buying the Fanatec wheel, clubsport pedals and the xbox360 for the title? Much harder question I would think (especially for those of us who already run with a logitech G25).

Either way, keep up the good work.

We've had music in every show since we started. Some times the music helps carry the piece.. You probably didn't notice it before, but it's always been there in some form or another.

One small point..

Not a fan of the music playing when you were talking, It distracts from what your saying.

I would much prefer no music when you talk, dont know if it was an oversight or something new you tried but me not like it :D

After playing Needo for Speed: Shift and Dirt 2 on the ps3 with the G25 and then going back to the microsoft wheel for the Forza 3 demo has just been just abismal. The ms wheel is just crap now in my opinion and glad i ordered the fanatec.

After playing Needo for Speed: Shift and Dirt 2 on the ps3 with the G25 and then going back to the microsoft wheel for the Forza 3 demo has just been just abismal. The ms wheel is just crap now in my opinion and glad i ordered the fanatec.

:) Need-o For Speed-o !

I have gone back and looked at a few and of course your right, but the lvl seems lower to the point where you dont really hear it unless you listen for it but could just be me lol

We've had music in every show since we started. Some times the music helps carry the piece.. You probably didn't notice it before, but it's always been there in some form or another.

Great review guys!! Of course I'm all about the FM series.

I do have one of the problems that you mentioned in the video, except my framerate issue happens when someone on my FL is signing in. For about 3 seconds before it shows who is signing in, my framerate goes to the Sh*ts. I'm only playing the demo so far but I really hope they have this fixed before it comes out.

THanks for all the great comments guys.

To answer a few questions.. We'll also be answering some of them in the next show..

1) Does Forza support 900 degrees.

A. Yes, but it seems the game was developed for 270 because of the 360 wheel having 270. When using 900 on the 911 wheel, the steering response becomes less responsive.

2) Load times and HDD installation

A. we didn't know, so we tried it on one system and then left the other system with it running from the disk. In general bouncing from menus, it seems a tad faster, then when loading a race, on average it saves 6 second of load time when installed to the hard drive.

THanks for all the great comments guys.

1) Does Forza support 900 degrees.

A. Yes, but it seems the game was developed for 270 because of the 360 wheel having 270. When using 900 on the 911 wheel, the steering response becomes less responsive.

In your E3 interview with Thomas of Fanatec, he mentions that Microsoft "adapted the game to support 900 degrees, shifter and clutch". I assumed this means that activating 900 degrees mode does more than just extend the range of wheel motion, otherwise the sensitivity would be so low you couldn't even keep the car in a straight line. Is this what they have done for Forza 3 or does the sensitivity feel wrong in 900 degrees mode? Which mode did you prefer to use?

Thanks

I'm a little surprised aswell if you play with 270 degrees setting. I have the MS Wheel myself and have an order on the Porsche wheel, but don't see it worth the investment if you still play with 270. I agree with the previous poster that we have gotten the impression that the game naturally supports higher degrees of steering?

Another question, when driving cars with semi-auto transmission, is it possible to use the paddles and not clutch, or do you have to switch your game settings to replicate the same as the type of car you are driving?

Great review and fun.

In your review you comment Forza 3 is a good reason to go buy an Xbox 360. Given I'm a car racing nut I would have rushed to buy one already, were it not for Microsoft's lack of vision since they seem to refuse to support Logitech's wheels.

Such a shame.

I agree it is a shame, but it's not entirely Microsoft's fault (well maybe it is), but the reason is because any other company that makes a peripheral for the 360 has to "purchase" a license through Microsoft to do so. And as of this time, Logitech has yet to do so for it's gaming peripherals. Apparently they have for other things (not sure what), but not for gaming peripherals. You can, however still play the game with the other wheels available or with just a controller.

The point is though that Forza 3 really will be THAT good for sim racers to take the time and money to invest in it.

Great review and fun.

In your review you comment Forza 3 is a good reason to go buy an Xbox 360. Given I'm a car racing nut I would have rushed to buy one already, were it not for Microsoft's lack of vision since they seem to refuse to support Logitech's wheels.

Such a shame.

The issue is actually that Logitech "refuses" to completely re-engineer its wheels for functionality on the 360. If I were them I probably wouldn't bother either. Sales of the wheels on the 360 have been utterly dismal -- every single entry has been discontinued (save the new Fanatec of course), but they can all still be found on shelves with little problem as they simply turn that slowly.

The "issue" is that the 360 uses a completely different protocol for its FFB. It uses the newer, superior, XID protocol rather than the ancient, but universal with everything, HID protocol. MS was, originally quite some time ago, keeping this to its chest but as since opened this up for public consumption quite some time ago. However the engineering changes that are required essentially require an all-new wheel. It's not simply a different way of "talking" to the wheel -- instead, with XID, the wheel is fed a variety of game information and it decides how it should react given input from the player. Under HID, the game simply tells the wheel "act like you're in dirt" and it runs through its pre-programmed routine on what that means. Logitech was given the opportunity to do make its wheel compatible with the advent of the G27, however it was only looking to upgrade the G25 hardware, not create an all-new wheel, which is essentially what would be required since the G25 was never developed with XID in mind.

Perhaps when Logitech is interested in creating an entirely new wheel they will look at making one that is both XID and HID compatible. However, given sales figures of wheels on the 360, I wouldn't hold my breath. The unfortunate thing is that, as long as wheels are all HID, PC sims will never move to XID either. Why create all new FFB programming for your game when no one can use it because they're all using HID wheels? So we're stuck with the old technology.