DIY Thrustmaster TX Arcade Handbrake Mod (TArHaM™)
5 5

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

here comes another handbrake / e brake mod for the Thrustmaster TX wheel on a XBONE.

My intention was to create a simple yet solid solution, and as there is an A button on the wheel base, I decided to tap that.

Step 1: Solder two extensions to those wires coming from the front right pcb, which are connected to the A button (brown and orange)
IMG_20160531_212035321.jpg

Step 2: Solder the extension wires to a 3.5mm jack socket, carefully drill a hole in the tx case and attach the socket in there.
IMG_20160531_215303524.jpg

Step 3: Get yourself a decent and hefty arcade style joystick with micro switches (search amazon for "BQLZR joystick"), bolt it to a piece of plywood and attach that to your rig (in my case a wheelstand pro).
IMG_20160531_222100658.jpg

Step 4: Solder two wires to a 3.5mm mono jack and connect the other ends to the corresponding microswitches.
IMG_20160531_222054247.jpg

Step 5: Plug in the jack, fire up Dirt Rallye, enjoy your drifts with your sub-$20 e brake!

Regards,
Andreas

Edited by ao1977
Sort images

11 hours ago, Narzugon said:

I'm liking this idea alot. This would free up my shifter to use in sequential mode.

Thanks for sharing!

Well, your solution definitely does look better than mine, but to be honest, for me the th8a is way too expensive to sacrifice the whole unit for a handbrake. ;)

Also, as I bought my TX used, I didn't have to care about void warranties and such and didn't hesitate to drill a hole in there.

And mine is still under warranty which I've considered.

That 5 pin plug in your photo looks like a power plug for older ide drives. Can you confirm that it's the same? If so I could use an extender (female to male) and splice into it instead of the TX's wiring. Then run the two wires out through one of the larger vents (possibly). At least till the warranty is up. Then I'd do a more permanent plug as you did.

Edited by Narzugon

1 minute ago, Narzugon said:

That 5 pin plug in your photo looks like a power plug for older ide drives. Can you confirm that it's the same?

No, the IDE power plugs had only 4 pins (google "Molex connector") and were way bigger. Also two corners are slanted (Molex: 1).
The idea is very interesting though.

Really like this quick and easy idea.  I have been kicking around a way to add a handbrake to my T300 for awhile now and never bothered to make one. I have been using my TH8a as a handbrake and using the paddles to shift on Dirt Rally. 

I ordered the same joystick you listed and will be actually making it a dual purpose - sequential stick shifter or a digital handbrake.  The T300 wheel has cables for connecting up the static paddles from the T500 and I will directly connect it to those.  Then after I finish I can decide which one I like the feel more as a shifter vs a handbake.

Only issue is the joystick is shipping from china and can take 3-4 weeks, but really can't beat the price for what it is. 

Thanks!

- Edit - Oh yeah I wanted to ask - do those micro switches on the joystick have a responsive click when pressed? I know some have more of a click than others and was just curious about these. 

Edited by socal colin
Add question..

14 hours ago, socal colin said:

Really like this quick and easy idea.  I have been kicking around a way to add a handbrake to my T300 for awhile now and never bothered to make one. I have been using my TH8a as a handbrake and using the paddles to shift on Dirt Rally. 

I ordered the same joystick you listed and will be actually making it a dual purpose - sequential stick shifter or a digital handbrake.  The T300 wheel has cables for connecting up the static paddles from the T500 and I will directly connect it to those.  Then after I finish I can decide which one I like the feel more as a shifter vs a handbake.

I envy your options, bro. Too bad the TX does not offer those paddle connectors, otherwise I would have done a DIY sequential shifter as well. ;)

Only issue is the joystick is shipping from china and can take 3-4 weeks, but really can't beat the price for what it is. 

It's not only the price, I also could not find any (european) other source for a joystick like this.

- Edit - Oh yeah I wanted to ask - do those micro switches on the joystick have a responsive click when pressed? I know some have more of a click than others and was just curious about these. 

Oh yes, they do. I'll see if I can make a short video tonight.

8 hours ago, ao1977 said:

I envy your options, bro. Too bad the TX does not offer those paddle connectors, otherwise I would have done a DIY sequential shifter as well. ;)

It's not only the price, I also could not find any (european) other source for a joystick like this.

Oh yes, they do. I'll see if I can make a short video tonight.

Thanks for the info - no need for a video unless you really want to make one. 

On 1.7.2016 at 7:06 PM, socal colin said:

Thanks for the info - no need for a video unless you really want to make one. 

Do you remember the good old competition pro joysticks? The click is the same. Kinda satisfying. ;)

5 hours ago, Issysdad said:

Does this need to be soldered into the Base or can the insulation be stripped and additional wires wrapped around the originals?

If you take a close look at the first picture of my original post, you should get the idea. ;)

So after buying the joy stick about 6 months ago.. I finally wired it up.  It works well.  I am using it as a sequential shifter wired up to the static paddle shifter cables that are on the T300 base.  (PS4)  I used a cheap trailer brake/tail light connector cable I had in the garage to wire it up so that I can disconnect it if I want. 

The only thing is, I want it to be stiffer. I put some cheap springs I had on it and it is pretty good but needs a bit more resistance.  

I also got out my stock TH8a shifter rod ( I use a custom short one for H-pattern) and put a handle on it so it feels more like a handbrake. 

Had a lot of fun on Dirt Rally this morning.  

IMG_20170128_073254.jpg

IMG_20170128_090025.jpg

IMG_20170128_173938.jpg

IMG_20170129_192811.jpg

IMG_20170129_222919.jpg

Edited by socal colin