Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Choosing the right PC for IRacing

17 posts in this topic

I'm planning on doing some Sim racing on IRacing but don't know enough when it comes to computers. Obviously, I'm looking for a quality realistic racing experience. Is there a specific pc and/or company I should use that can direct me to the specs that I need? I don't want the cheapest and since I'm just starting, I don't need to break the bank either. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Chris

The two things I think are most important are a good graphics card and memory.   I'd get the nicest one that's in your budget.   I have a NVidia GTX 780 but there are newer models.  The AMD radeon (sp?) cards are also popular.  Make sure your case has enough power and size to fit the card.  The second big thing is ram...the more the merrier.   I'd go with 16 gb or more if you can (but 16 should be plenty.)  Of course a quality main board.  I got my system from Cyber power ..they'll make you up a system that will do what you need.   Newegg also has gaming systems at a reasonable price.   Hope this helps.

If you are looking to have one built get a hold of low_psi here on the forums he builds custom PC's just for sim racing. I have not dealt with him personally but all I ever hear is good from his builds. He can build to your budget so you get the best bang for your buck. 

The "minimum" PC you need for "quality" iRacing would be an i5, 8GB RAM, GTX 970 GPU, 250GB SSD system drive (add 500 GB SSD and 2TB HDD if you plan to add more sims, games, software), at least a 600 watt power supply (required for higher end GPUs), and a case with good ventilation.

You can run iRacing at a very good frame rate at higher or highest settings on a single 1920x1080 or 2560x1080 (ultra-wide) monitor.

Also consider getting a 144Hz monitor and use Displayport connections. It's much smoother and more immersive.

If you plan to go triple screens, consider a GTX 980 Ti, and if you can go 144Hz (all three monitors must be 144Hz), it will need three Displayport out ports (I think that's standard on the 980s).

Photo: This is a 144Hz 35" Ultra-Wide, run from a GTX 970. iRacing runs at 140-160 frames-per-second at the highest quality settings.
BenQ-VESA_03.jpg

9 minutes ago, ApexVGear said:

The "minimum" PC you need for "quality" iRacing would be an i5, 8GB RAM, GTX 970 GPU, 250GB SSD system drive (add 500 GB SSD and 2TB HDD if you plan to add more sims, games, software), at least a 600 watt power supply (required for higher end GPUs), and a case with good ventilation.

You can run iRacing at a very good frame rate at higher or highest settings on a single 1920x1080 or 2560x1080 (ultra-wide) monitor.

Also consider getting a 144Hz monitor and use Displayport connections. It's much smoother and more immersive.

If you plan to go triple screens, consider a GTX 980 Ti, and if you can go 144Hz (all three monitors must be 144Hz), it will need three Displayport out ports (I think that's standard on the 980s).

Photo: This is a 144Hz 35" Ultra-Wide, run from a GTX 970. iRacing runs at 140-160 frames-per-second at the highest quality settings.
BenQ-VESA_03.jpg

3 hours ago, cepwin said:

The two things I think are most important are a good graphics card and memory.   I'd get the nicest one that's in your budget.   I have a NVidia GTX 780 but there are newer models.  The AMD radeon (sp?) cards are also popular.  Make sure your case has enough power and size to fit the card.  The second big thing is ram...the more the merrier.   I'd go with 16 gb or more if you can (but 16 should be plenty.)  Of course a quality main board.  I got my system from Cyber power ..they'll make you up a system that will do what you need.   Newegg also has gaming systems at a reasonable price.   Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, cepwin said:

Ok I appreciate the input.

20 minutes ago, ApexVGear said:

BenQ-VESA_03.jpg

The details you provided are exactly what I needed to know. I really appreciate the specifics on what I need to look for in a good quality rig. I'm not planning on a triple monitor setup. Should I have an air or liquid cool setup? If you have any more suggestions let me know. Oh by the way....nice setup you have, very cool!

35 minutes ago, DirtRacer68 said:

...Should I have an air or liquid cool setup? If you have any more suggestions let me know. Oh by the way....nice setup you have, very cool!

Unless you're doing something crazy, like over-clocking your processor to its' very limits, air-cooling should be just fine. As a matter of fact, I'm just using the regular fan and cooling block that came with my i5-4690K, and it does just fine.

If you're really on a budget ($500-800), then you can go with the combo I listed above. If you can budget for $800-1,200, then you can go more higher-end with an i7, GTX 980 Ti, and liquid-cooling.

BTW, don't skimp on the power supply (PSU)--make sure it's a trusted brand with good reviews, and it's more than enough to power your system and the GPU. I've seen a few PSUs literally go "up in smoke" and one time, the CPU was running full-bore (and hot), and when all the power and ventilation instantly cut off, it ruined the motherboard.

If you plan on running Dirt Rally and can budget for 144Hz, I'd recommend going with a GTX 980 Ti. It's an incredible title, but very graphic intensive, and requires turning down the graphic settings to maintain at least 80 frames-per-second with my GTX 970.

Shopping for Monitors: Be sure to look for "certified" refurbished models, especially if you can get them directly from the manufacturer. BenQ and Asus produces some nice 144Hz monitors.

http://www.benqdirect.com/monitors/gaming.html

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-z35-series

Just a little more on monitors...

If you want the best "size" ratio, then a 27" 1920x1080 or a 35" 2560x1080 (ultra-wide) is ideal... as long as you can place it right in front of (or just over the front of) your wheel base.

You can also go with a 32-40" TV (might be "cheaper" for now), and use a cable that converts from DVI or Displayport to HDMI (check http://www.monoprice.com/). Just know that most TV's will only accept 60Hz at their ports (though they can "upsample" to 120 or even 240 Hz). 60Hz is still good (though there are "sync" issues with TVs), but the larger the screen, the further away you'll need to move it to match up the scale. You don't want the virtual dashboard to be too large for your physical wheel.

I had no idea what I wanted to build when I got into this hobby. I would check out PC part picker .com not only can you see what other people built with your budget but you can also see what parts will work with  Each other. I built my system around the gtx 980ti since I wanted tripple 124hrtz screens. But it's a good site to play around with. Don't rush and take your time. Also if you can get the biggest ssd you can or a motherboard that can support multiple ssd so you can add more if needed at a later time.  Hope this helps 

Of course now, everything's changed for GPUs. The new GTX 1070 is the "cheaper" of the newer cards (MSRP $379), and it's still more powerful than the current TitanX. The GTX 1080 at $599 (MSRP) is even more powerful, and it's price point is lower than most current 980 Ti cards (and their prices will drop in a few months).

The problem will be, getting your hands on one of the new "10" cards in the next three or four months, and at the listed MSRP.

I know I want one, but it will probably be another six to eight months before I can make that purchase.

13 hours ago, Twenty20 said:

I had no idea what I wanted to build when I got into this hobby. I would check out PC part picker .com not only can you see what other people built with your budget but you can also see what parts will work with  Each other. I built my system around the gtx 980ti since I wanted tripple 124hrtz screens. But it's a good site to play around with. Don't rush and take your time. Also if you can get the biggest ssd you can or a motherboard that can support multiple ssd so you can add more if needed at a later time.  Hope this helps 

Thanks for your insight and the website where I can research and learn from. I look forward to seeing you on the track in the future.

11 hours ago, ApexVGear said:

Of course now, everything's changed for GPUs. The new GTX 1070 is the "cheaper" of the newer cards (MSRP $379), and it's still more powerful than the current TitanX. The GTX 1080 at $599 (MSRP) is even more powerful, and it's price point is lower than most current 980 Ti cards (and their prices will drop in a few months).

The problem will be, getting your hands on one of the new "10" cards in the next three or four months, and at the listed MSRP.

I know I want one, but it will probably be another six to eight months before I can make that purchase.

I appreciate the info, that's something I wouldn't have realize.

On May 15, 2016 at 11:20 PM, DirtRacer68 said:

Thanks for your insight and the website where I can research and learn from. I look forward to seeing you on the track in the future.

Hope I see myself there soon. Been working too much and trying to finish my dash before I jump in to everything.  It's been fun building everything and getting everything to work with each other.  I'm not even done with my projects now and I'm already thinking about how to build better pedals and a better wheel.  Keep your eyes peeled I should have dash done in a couple of weeks and will post here once complete