Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 97: Thrustmaster T500RS Reviewed

44 posts in this topic

Great episode, as always :)

From what I remember this is the highest score on the shibami that you gave to any wheels. I think the second best now is an 86 or so on the GT2 ? Correct me if I am wrong. The episode is missing a short reminder on the previous scores.

There is some discussion on which is the best wheel to buy, you say you would go for the T500, other websites and reviews point to Fanatec + CSP. The T500 wheel seems better than the GT3rs/GT2 (not getting into xbox compatibility), but on the other hand the CSP pedals seem better than those on the T500.

My question is - is the wheel that much better to sacrifice the CSP pedals for consoles? Not looking into the price, which package would you get - T500 or GT3rs + CSP ? I see that for the PC review you used CSP, so I assume you find these better. And also you have the option of shifter in the Fanatec products, and if clubsport version of the shifters come out + additional handbrake (which may then hit the exact same price to get the whole fanatec package as the T500), its gonna be a very difficult decision I suppose.

In about 3 months I am assembling a rig with 32' TV, PS3 and PC. I was intending to buy the GT3rs + CSP + pedals modifier kit. I am already on the price limit I planned, but can push for the additional money to get the top products. I am interested in racing both PS3 ( GT5 / F1 ) and PC ( RBR ). Which option would you recommend?

OK very nice review , many things I wanted to know / see I got in your review .

But I got few questions :

- From what I have seen these paddles are pretty huge ( which is logic since they arent moving with the wheel ) but this make another con ( for me atleast ) . Since the paddles are big and quite close to the wheel , they also are setled very wide behind , I think many times u are hitting by your fingers these paddles when u driving . Ofcourse its alot about getting use to them , but still for example if u drifting u sometimes have your hands behind the wheel if u know what I mean , for example when u doing "S" corners drifting and u switching gears while u drifting and switching car position from left - > right or reverse u sometimes hold your wheel by one hand above or below the wheel with your fingers , if u need to counter very fast your drift position (angle) or even pull the handbreake , u need to counter very fast , which means u can easly be hitted or even got stuck your hand between wheel and paddle/s . And now Ive met another problem , positions of buttons arent simillar ( mirror view ) for example i have on my g25 on both sides handbrake since i dont know when the wheel spin , wchich button is handbreake so i have both of em mapped to HB , here on left side of the wheel its impossible . There is no shifter so u cannot map/bind HB to shifter ...

- The reason of putting Paddles stick might be feeling of smooth moving - same story with Rims in real life , if u dont have perfect circle shape ( rim is damaged or deformed in some spot , it wont behave properly , and It wont have proper weight on all the shape if u kno wwhat I mean , they wanted most likely to make wheel be very well balanced on weight so It wont "shake" while moving .

- Ive got another questions - is it possible to run T500RS with g25/g27 shifter togother by any chance ?

- Thanks for Tommy to showing the "reverse speed centering " or how to call it (drifting ) its amazing fast and for me its biggest plus for T500RS and most likely the thing which will make me go for T500RS .

- U havent mention how noisy is the wheel - is it even less noisy than GT2 / G27 ?

- In the review I missed a bit of more "gameplay footage" from how u drive the wheel , Tommy was driving it for liek few seconds only -3/4 corners , I would like to see like time attack ( hardcore run ) full lap to see even more how wheel behaves and how your hands works while switchign gears ( each type of corners , diffrent amount of speed , and gear switchign while cornering )

Anyway Thanks for your review

(sorry for my english , Its not my native but I hope u understood me )

I would get this wheel and use it with clubsports,but i decided not to,cause i drive openwheelers mostly and that fixed paddles are just too much of a problem for me.What i think is that they should do small paddles like DFGT has also.I think small paddles like that could fit there also and than we would have two options.Anyway great review as allways.

Excellent review.

The only thing that was overlooked as far as I could tell wasn't about the wheel but the pedals, from the great video shots you showed of the pedals, I can see people with pre-made purchased cockpits that have non adjustable permanent pedal plates with ridiculous plate angles (Playseat Evolution comes to mind and others like it) could have a problem mounting the Thrustmaster T500 pedals due to the top bar of the pedal system and possibly even the pedal angle of the pedals themselves, you'd have to darn near break your ankles to press the pedals. So some serious modding of the pedal plates for these cockpits might be needed to make it work?

Just an observation but worth mentioning for those who have these kind of cockpits and are considering purchasing this wheel.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Excellent review.

The only thing that was overlooked as far as I could tell wasn't about the wheel but the pedals, from the great video shots you showed of the pedals, I can see people with pre-made purchased cockpits that have non adjustable permanent pedal plates with ridiculous plate angles (Playseat Evolution comes to mind and others like it) could have a problem mounting the Thrustmaster T500 pedals due to the top bar of the pedal system and possibly even the pedal angle of the pedals themselves, you'd have to darn near break your ankles to press the pedals. So some serious modding of the pedal plates for these cockpits might be needed to make it work?

Just an observation but worth mentioning for those who have these kind of cockpits and are considering purchasing this wheel.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack

The pedals are actually pretty compact and fit in all the rigs we have. If you check out Thrustmasters Facebook here, they have lots of different pictures of the pedals mounted to a variety of rigs.

Thanks Darin. :)

I'm not on Facebook.

Just thought it might be a problem since on the show, the pedal base appear to be a fair size.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Hi,

thanks for this review were so many people waited for.

Well I think I will wait until the shifter is becoming available. A few years ago I bought the RGT Wheel from Thrustmaster and than a short time later the "Clutch Edition" arrived, so I bought my wheel too early...

The other negative thing is the PS3-Compatibility. This wheel is licensed by Sony but at the moment only compatible with GT5. This is a shame. Ok, to be honest, for the time GT5 is the only game I play with a wheel (don't own F1 yet and SHIFT does not feel very good with my DFP).

You spent a lot of words to compare the T500RS to the G27 but only a few words about the Fanatec Wheels. But in regard to its price, Fanatec is closer to the T500RS.

This might sound very negative, but it isn't. I like your review very much, I like this wheel very much. Due to the fact, that I trust Thrustmaster ( ;) ) very much I would go or this wheel and not for a Fanatec. You mentioned almost all points which are interesting for me so as usual, you did a nice job.

So as I said, I will wait a few months, save some money, and then go for th T500RS. During this time I will continue racing GT5 with my DFP (which is a lot of fun, because never used a "better" wheel, so I don't miss anything ;) ) and Simbin-Games with my RGT.

Keep racing!

Robert

I have just purchased this wheel and agree with everything in the review. I have used everything from a G25/G27 to Fanatec GT2 with CSP. This wheel blows them away!!!. For console use the standard pedals are ok, in fact better then ok, they are GREAT! However, on the PC the CSP plug directly into the PC would give greater control and would be the better option, however, the stand pedals work very well for me on iRacing and LFS so all in all it gets top marks from me.

The wheel is very quiet, the paddles are not that close to the wheel that you knock you fingers, at least i haven't done that yet!!

I got it in he UK for £378 delivered and am very very happy with it and would highly recommend it!!!

The t500 cost more gt2 clubsport package right. So why did t500 get 4.75/5 and gt2 get 3.75/5 on cost. Point number 2. T500 9/10 GT2 10/10 compatibility. Shouldn't it be lower than 9/10 since you said that GT2 was compatible with all systems and all games even old PS3 racing game. You might need to redo the GT2. I ordered it for FANATEC because you said it was the best for all systems. The t500 is not on all systems. And get more for $500 than you do for $600. So in your cost rating the GT2 CLUB SPORT PACKAGE should have won this category. Thank you could you email me a response.

Great review, guys! I'm gonna have to add my name to the list of people concerned with the fixed paddle situation. It was evident that Darin haf a little problem with shifting while turning, and it would be interesting to hear from the engineers as to why rey went with a fixed paddle design.

Also, another question: how would you guys rate the resolution of the pedals? Is it comparable to the G25/7 pedals with the Bodnar cable? They went with 16-bit resolution on the wheel, so it would be a little disappointing if they had a measly 256 steps like the Logitech's.

I purchased the wheel a day before the full review. When the review came out my wheel was a day away from delivery. Boy am I glad I had ordered it. I would died if I had to wait any longer after that glowing review. Well I received the wheel yesterday and must report: Wow! This is an extreme step up from the G25 that I have been using for years now. Very precise and detailed FFB information.

My question is whether anyone has tried the Realistic Brake Mod that comes with the wheel. Is this preferable to the standard brake?

Have you tried driving in open wheelers yet with the car? That's my only concern is the fixed peddles being a problem with that type of car.

Many a time, whether it be the FGT, Ferrari F1 or Red Bull, it's really not a problem, the paddles are huge and I tend to be in the correct gear before my hands turn to far to reach them.

I think the reason they went with stationary paddles is because it's supposed to be a simulation wheel and most cars that have paddle shifters have stationary behind the wheel rather than attached.

I personally prefer the "Realistic Brake Mod", it's nice to have that little extra bit of resistance when you get near the end of the throw. It doesn't last though, mines botched already after 5 weeks usage.

Another great review guys. I should be picking one up soon and was pleased to hear the majority of the details inside your review. I am curious about your opinions on the "planned" H-Shifter. I have not read anything directly stating that there will be a shifter, or when one would be available. Also, some have reported that they didn't see anyplace that a shifter cable could plug into the wheel, should one be made available, which would raise some questions as far as future shifter implementation with console use. The inclusion of a clutch pedal would lead one to believe a separate shifter will be released.

Was there anywhere that a future shifter cable could be connected? If not, do you have any opinions of how one might be implemented?

Another great review guys. I should be picking one up soon and was pleased to hear the majority of the details inside your review. I am curious about your opinions on the "planned" H-Shifter. I have not read anything directly stating that there will be a shifter, or when one would be available. Also, some have reported that they didn't see anyplace that a shifter cable could plug into the wheel, should one be made available, which would raise some questions as far as future shifter implementation with console use. The inclusion of a clutch pedal would lead one to believe a separate shifter will be released.

Was there anywhere that a future shifter cable could be connected? If not, do you have any opinions of how one might be implemented?

Just conjecture on my part but the pedals are connected to the wheel with its plug, I can imagine that the shifter will come with interface unit/box where the pedals and shifter would plug in and the unit plugs into the wheel. that would be my guess. But this would make it only usable when connect to the wheel, unless they have a USB option also with the shifter so it can be used stand alone on a PC. That is assuming the RJ (?) type interface plug on the pedals and the wheel have enough pins to support the shifter.

ADD: It would be nice if the "CONJECTURE" interface unit would have a USB option also. That would make the pedals usable as stand alone units on the PC also along with the shifter. That means that a user can sell the pedals/shifters if they plan on using another brand of pedals/shifter for PC use.

Darin or Shaun,

You've metioned pedals resolutions between the CSP and t500 when plugged on PC or Consoles. You said that the CSP resolution was lower when plugged to the wheel(256 bits) and that the t500 resolution was a higher(1080 bits). If that's the case, are the t500 pedals better than the CSP? Does this have anything to do with the "brake" pedals?

Can you please explain a little more in details? Thanks

Great episode, as always :)

My question is - is the wheel that much better to sacrifice the CSP pedals for consoles? Not looking into the price, which package would you get - T500 or GT3rs + CSP ? I see that for the PC review you used CSP, so I assume you find these better. And also you have the option of shifter in the Fanatec products, and if clubsport version of the shifters come out + additional handbrake (which may then hit the exact same price to get the whole fanatec package as the T500), its gonna be a very difficult decision I suppose.

In about 3 months I am assembling a rig with 32' TV, PS3 and PC. I was intending to buy the GT3rs + CSP + pedals modifier kit. I am already on the price limit I planned, but can push for the additional money to get the top products. I am interested in racing both PS3 ( GT5 / F1 ) and PC ( RBR ). Which option would you recommend?

Thanks for the compliment. Since you want to play F1 on the PS3 then I would go Fanatec. Right now the 500 doesn't have FFB with it.

Thank you Darin for the reply. I could of course wait for F1 2011, which hopefully will have T500 full support. But the price and modularity of Fanatec products is something that is important to me. For the T500 here in Poland, I would have to pay the equivalent of 830 USD from an official shop in here! Whereas the GT3RS + CSP costs me 300 USD less.

Hello everyone,

hello Darin,...can you upload a close-up macro shot of the cable connection type used on the T500 pedals...the reason I ask is that I have recently purchased some ECCI Trackstar 6000 pedals to connect to my G27 and DFGT wheels and just want to know if the connection type that goes into the T500 pedals could be the same as the small Rj type connection that my ECCI pedals have....if so happy days....lol

any answer appreciated

kind regards

Old Timer

OK very nice review , many things I wanted to know / see I got in your review .

But I got few questions :

- From what I have seen these paddles are pretty huge ( which is logic since they arent moving with the wheel ) but this make another con ( for me atleast ) . Since the paddles are big and quite close to the wheel , they also are setled very wide behind , I think many times u are hitting by your fingers these paddles when u driving .

- Ive got another questions - is it possible to run T500RS with g25/g27 shifter togother by any chance ?

- U havent mention how noisy is the wheel - is it even less noisy than GT2 / G27 ?

Anyway Thanks for your review

You're very welcome for the review.. To answer your questions..

1) The paddles are far enough away fromt he wheel that I never hit my fingers on them.

2) No

3) Much quieter than a Logitech wheel.

Hope that helps ! :)

The t500 cost more gt2 clubsport package right. So why did t500 get 4.75/5 and gt2 get 3.75/5 on cost. Point number 2. T500 9/10 GT2 10/10 compatibility. Shouldn't it be lower than 9/10 since you said that GT2 was compatible with all systems and all games even old PS3 racing game. You might need to redo the GT2. I ordered it for FANATEC because you said it was the best for all systems. The t500 is not on all systems. And get more for $500 than you do for $600. So in your cost rating the GT2 CLUB SPORT PACKAGE should have won this category. Thank you could you email me a response.

Hi Sirxman..

1) The GT2 was the cost of the wheel alone not as a package. If they had a package price and we rated it with pedals, it would have been different.

2) The T500 compatibility rating is what it is.. It's a Gran Turismo 5 wheel that happens to work on other titles. There's no claim that it's supposed to work on anything but GT5 on the PS3. On the PC, it works on everything. At the point of the manufacturing of the wheel, it's not Thrustmasters fault that it doesn't work on all games. Fanatecs mimic a G25 / 27 on the Playstation 3, thats why you put it into PS3 mode. Thrustmasters use their own SDK / driver to run their wheel without pretending it's a G25. All future games on the PS3 should be compatible.

3) If you go back and watch the review of the GT2, we didn't rate pedals, so there's no package price. Fanatec doesn't sell it as a boxed set like they do the Carerra.

You bought a great wheel and pedal set that works on all three systems really well. The T500 is just a step above.