Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shift 2 Steering Wheel

25 posts in this topic

I'm quite new to racing games, and I'm looking into Shift 2.

I want a steering wheel for it, and i was wondering what is the best to get with my budget which is about $150.

I played with the Ferrari f430 steering wheel on a friends PC and i loved it, but I'm not sure if that would work on Shift 2.

Pretty much any wheel will work on any PC Game if you have up to date drivers for the wheel. Sometimes a game may need a patch to use a certain wheel but that is usually because they game has buggy coding. I don't know about every wheel available on the market but I am guessing all the ones in that video the guy above me posted is Windows 7 compatible. Those are the 3 main factors of any peripheral you plan on using on a PC.

If you find a sale and/or rebate on a G27, or save up a little more, that would be the best deal. Shift allowed for use of both clutch and H shifter, I can only assume Shift 2 will also. Made the game much more fun. G27 gives you both a clutch and H shifter.

Otherwise, sticking to around $150, you've got 3 options I think:

Thrustmaster Rally GT Force Feedback Pro Clutch Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Rall ... 473&sr=8-3

Logitech PlayStation 3 Driving Force GT Racing Wheel

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStat ... 609&sr=8-1

Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 Wheel - US...but you'd need a little more to get the basic pedals.

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_usa/p ... 3c94956d34

The Fanatec is pretty clearly the best wheel, and not that much more to add pedals. You can always upgrade later if you get into it.

SHIFT 2 DROPS SUPPORT FOR FANATEC WHEELS?

On 03-07-2011 Speed Hunters/Rod Chong (NFS S2 Creative Director) stated in his Shift 2 FAQ posted on Speed Hunters Blog that the Fanatec wheel was supported on PS3.

Its listed directly below the Silver NFSCOM_McLAREN_MERCEDESBENZ_SLR_722 picture on the post.

See: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/03/07/shift2-...requently-asked-questions.aspx

....and on the same day EA Forums Moderator posted an Official Supported Wheels thread that listed the Fanatec wheel as supported on PS3, he also stated that this information was direct from Speed Hunters.

See: http://www.needforspeed.com/post/shift-2-unleashed...orted-wheel-list#comment-56038

Today, 03-22-2011, exactly one week prior to the release of NFS Shift 2, EA's official NFS Blog no longer lists the Fanatec wheel as supported on PS3.

See: http://www.needforspeed.com/post/shift-2-unleashed-pc-requirementssupported-wheel-list

The original poster isn't talking about getting this on the PS3.

I'm sure it will be just fine on pc. ;)

Plus, sometimes they (Sony) don't want to say a wheel is "officially" supported, although it ends up being supported. Could be for any number or reasons, possibly a relationship Sony has with Logitech for the DFGT or the new Tmaster wheels being "official" for GT5. No way to know until the game is out.

Well i'm testing it with a Fanatec Porsche GT2 wheel and the Clubsport pedals.

They both work. But you get no FFB from the wheel at all.. You get the ABS shaking from the brake pedal, but that's it. The only wheel you can choose is the wireless xbox wheel wit FFB. But the FFB don't work.

So it's not fully supported or some of my settings must be off. Still it's a let down..

Edit:

I'll have to correct my self. The FFB comes and goes on shift 2. If you restart a race a lot, you will find out that one time you might have FFB and the next it just isn't there. Yhis is really annoying.

T500RS/PS3 owners. DO NOT RUSH OUT AND BUY THIS GAME TODAY!!

THe wheel is not yet supported. The game is undriveable with this wheel. There is too much lag in response time. Rumor is there will be a patch at a later date adding t500 support.

That would be sad to have the most expensive wheel package (T500) on the market and have problems playing the game :/

You know what's sadder? NASCAR 2011 has the same issue. I cant play either one....

THe wheel is not yet supported. The game is undriveable with this wheel. There is too much lag in response time. Rumor is there will be a patch at a later date adding t500 support.

Well that would have been nice to know before I went out at lunch and bought the game.....sigh :shock:

I hope Thrustmaster puts some effort into pushing game producers to patch their games up to support these wheels. With PC its a bit simpler, I suppose even titles which do not officialy support T500 are fully playable - like F1 for example, PC ok, PS3 not. Having a console would I buy a wheel which is better but would limit my games down to ... GT5 ? I don't think so!

Either Thrustmaster is really difficult in providing some data on the wheel to game producers, or for some reason they choose not to do it, which would be odd. But then if game after game will not have support, then people will simply start turning to other wheels IMHO. Too few owners of T500 for the game producers to worry about sale drop due to lack of T500 in controller options.

You mean G27. Unless there is an adapter that I am not aware of, Club Sports will not work with the entry level logitechs.

The club sports is USB???

Hello.

I am European and get the game tomorrow. You in the US have the game since yesterday. Can you tell me if the t500 rs wheel works with shift 2 unleashed? With ffb?!

It worked in shift 1 but on gtplanet there are some people saying the wheel is not detected by the game?

So, does it work?

Thanks

This fix cures most of the input lag, which at least makes it playable. But the ffb in game is still awful IMO.

I've tryed yesterday to use the T500 with Shift 2 on PS3 but it dosn't work: no force feed back, no chance to control the car...What a pitty!!!! :(:(

I hope to get a patch ASAP...

Cos dismount every time the wheel from the playseat to get on thr G25 it's a boring work...

specially if you use to play other game like Gt5...or other sim on PC with the t500

Well "HellFireHawk" if you are on somewhat tight budget,and looking to spend 150 bucks for a "Decent" wheel & Pedal Combo,you really can not beat the "DFGT" by "Logitech",just be aware these wheels have been getting snatched up in record numbers ever since the release of "GT5",so much so in fact,that at "Logitechs" website they are now selling for "199.95" [up 50 bucks from it's 149.95 retail price pre "GT5"] so you would be wise to check around a bit,"Amazon.com" did have them for 129.95 last I checked,but not sure if thats still the case,I bought mine through "Amazon.com" a few months ago for 99.95 -$30 bucks when "Logitech had their rebate offer,and ended up with one heck of a deal,"70 bucks"!and though the rebate offer has ended, and the demand for these and what seems all other wheels is really getting nuts,there are still some deals out there,you just may have to do some surfing to find them,

as far as the performance of the "DFGT" compared to much more expensive high quality wheels such as "Logitechs" "G25/G27" or the "Fanatec" GT2/GT3~ I can only tell you that I race a LOT of "GT5" [also did a lot of "NFS SHIFT" online racing with the "DFGT"] and race against tons of people with much more higher end gear such as g27's and all the high end "fanatec" stuff,and without trying to come off as some kind of cocky jack ass,I do VERY well..my point being this,nothing takes the place of experience,practice,and learning the tracks till you know every bump,dip,corner and chicane,and just because you may have the best wheel/pedal combo available on the market,it is not going to make you a "Good Racer" Track time and LOTS of practice is the only way.Ive heard lots of people say that the "DFGT's" pedals are "Crap" and makes it hard to judge braking pressure and/or throttle control,but Honestly,I have 0,NO problem at all with either judging braking pressure or throttle control with the "DFGT" and feel when the brakes are fading or about to lock up,and since I run with 0 assist[other than setting ABS on 1 in gt5] throttle control is Everything when running High HP/Torque cars,and have no problems at all.while personal preference plays a huge role in picking the right wheel and pedal combo for a beginning 'Sim" Racer,and can not guarantee the "DFGT" is right for you,I can only tell you that personally I LOVE everything about it "Crappy" pedals and all ;) cheers and good luck HellFireHawk.

...my GT2 isnt working with shift2. Does anyone here use a Fanatec Porsche GT2 with Shift 2? I saw a Video where the guys from insidesimracing, play with a Fanatec Porsche GT3RS, isnt it the same Wheel like the Fanatec Porsche GT2, only that the GT2 can handle the 360?

Sorry I can't get it; Fanatec wheels NOT supported for Shift2? InsideSimRacing made a video with Shaun Cole driving Shift2 on the PS3 with the Fanatec GTR RS Wheel + ingame settings;

I quote;

We ran this with the Fanatec Porsche GT3 RS and Clubsport pedals. We also show you how we set up our wheel on the Playstation 3 to run this lap. SHaun Cole is at the wheel and this is not a hot lap. Just some in car to show you the new head cam and graphics on the PS3.

I also can not remember they mention lack of FF...(?)

I would be very dissapointed to find out, InsideSimRacing are mistaken by telling the Fanatec Porsche GTR RS works with Shift on PS3 when it is not; I just ordered the Fanatec GTR RS with CSP and Shifter...

Can please someone explain to me how the steering lock for Fanatec wheels on PC SHift2 works? I can only set the steering lock in percentage % and not in degrees like in other version of Shift2 (PS3 and xbox seem to have a degree scale in settings). But the xml in the controller default folder shows 270° which rewrites its value everytime I run the game even if I change it in the xml. So is the Fanatec Porsche wheel limited to 270° by the game despite if I set the steering lock to 100% in the settings and 450°, 900° ot any other value on the wheel itself?