Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My impressions of the Logitech G29 vs the T300/T500

11 posts in this topic

We all know about the pedals and what people think of the looks, however I just want to say that it's not as cheap looking in person. I mean I painted the coloured buttons to make it look less like a toy, but apart from that I'd say it's on par with the T500/300. The actual base of it feels pretty solid and nice, I like how it feels a little more dense and how it doesn't make a fan noise constantly when compared to the T500/300. The Pedals are better than the T300, I had the T3PAs as well and they're on par with that, but the T500 with a brake mod is still my favourite, even though they're scratchy. Things like the buttons on the wheel and the shifters are also on par with each other, though I do love the amount you can on the G29, though some Thrustmaster alternatives have equal amounts. 

What I'm surprised with though is how good the FFB is, I was expecting a pile of crap since everyone says the Thrustmasters are better. While they are smoother and more powerful, it doesn't really impact my usage when racing. I mean I had to turn the Thrustmasters right down to like 40%, but I turn the G29 down to about 70%, so all that extra power I never ended up using. It's highly unrealistic to turn them all the way up, but also it causes so much clipping on all the wheels. So strength wise I'd say the G29 has more than enough for realistic use. My only problem is there is a slight dead zone in the wheel, it's not really an issue since you don't really need it in the center, but it is noticeable. 

I'm also surprised that it isn't that loud, now the T500 and T300 were silent apart from the annoying fan, the G29 is also silent for the most part, it's also every bit as smooth feeling IMO. However if you're going over curbs or going off road, you'll hear it clatter about. For track racing it's pretty much silent, but I also personally love the clatter, it gives this extra bit of weird immersion, like a sound you'd get in the car. I know it's not there by design, it's a choice of gears over a belt... but I kinda like it lol. 

I'm impressed by it, it's a better package than the Thrustmasters, where you have to spend a bit more on top to get the pedals and maybe an alternative wheel depending on if you want more buttons or not the TX plastic thing. It's also cheaper, I got mine for £99 on sale, but they sell for £180 usually, the Thrustmasters are all £200+ and then whatever other additions you need. 

I'm also hoping that it lasts more than 5 mins, which my Thrustmaster wheels didn't and why I wont buy from them again.

I was expecting this toy like pos like everyone seems to say, but I think it's on par for the money of the Thrustmasters. Yes it's gears and not a belt, yes if the entire package of the Thrustmaster was there it would be better, but the gears are not bad and they still have more than enough power.  

I think Logitech is a very good starter wheel when it was priced around $170> $200, but the thrustmaster wheel base provides so much better force feedback. If you use a Logitech on rally events the whole house can hear you having fun!

I agree the standard Logitech pedals are way better than standard T300 or TX pedals the standard leather rim has a nice feel.

If I was to buy again new I would recommend the T300 or the TX and save up for clubsport pedals.

Logitech G29 in my opinion is overpriced, my recommendation is buy a used G27 if your on a tight budget.

Its sad to read you had problems with your thrustmaster.

I have owned a g29/tx/t300. 

For £99 you got a great deal on the G29 ;)

I agree pedals are better than stock, in fact I prefer them over t3pa's. The wheel itself looks okay but wasn't overly impressed with the feel of the stitching.

Ffb and smoothness, wasn't in the same league in my impression. I agree the g29 would be a good starter wheel but it felt much more coggy than a thrustmaster t300.

I have a logitech dfgt that I think is pretty close to the G29 ffb and smoothness.

As reliability from my experience, I would have to agree Logitech have been sold no issues, not so much with the Tx.

I don't feel cogs on the G29, it feels almost as smooth, it just doesn't sound as smooth. People go on about it being loud as well, but it's not really much louder, like if you crash or go off road... yeah, but most of the time you aren't doing those things. In fact the overall noise it makes is probably on par because there is no crazy fan noise like what the T500 and 300 make, also the T500 has a really loud scratchy motor, the T300 doesn't though. As for the gears vs belt, to me it's not really much different, the belt is slightly better, but it's not this massive difference. 

The FFB is better on the T300/500, I've said that myself, but it's not massively better and the G29 is powerful enough, I don't use it at 100% because it's way too powerful to be realistic. I've never driven F1 around a track, but I have driven the Mazda MX5 and a few others, turning the G29 to 100% doesn't feel realistic at all. In real life you have things like power steering and the wheels are a lot lighter, they're made to take the effort away. 

So strength wise, the G29 is more than enough, I found the T500 to be overkill, I was using it on like 40% most the time. 

Yes if you took the entire Thrustmaster package, it's better, but it's not that much better when you're spending way more for the Pedals and what not. The G29 is a much better package for the money and the FFB isn't bad like people say, I think a lot of it is placebo. 

You'd have to start looking into Fanatec money if you start spending more one extras, the shifter on the G29 is only 40 right now, the shifter for the Thrustmaster is 100+

In my opinion there is more of an improvement from having a t300- upgrading from a g29. Than a Fanatec v2 base coming from a t300.

Are you playing on Console,PC or both? I don't have experience with them on consoles as only have a PC.

Hey Stumps ,,you seem extremely happy with it and that's what count's ,,,,

Your review does come across with quite a bit of a fanboy tone to it,mixed with a bit of bad blood toward Thrustmaster though,,reason i say this is it's common knowledge that T300 is bossing the low end wheel market at the moment,,,

If your review was comparing G29 with T150 that might of been a bit more of a rounded comparison,,

I think you're all crazy, I've had all three wheels and the G29 isn't this toy like you say, it's good and no way is it on the T150 level. I'd say if you look at price/package, the G29 is probably the better buy over the Thrustmasters, the FFB isn't that much worse. the Gears are smooth and it in reality isn't much louder unless you're going off road. 

I was surprised. I went from T300 to this and I don't miss it, if the Logitech lasts as long as every one says, I'd take that over the poor build quality of the Thrustmasters any day. 

To me, the G29 and T300/500 are on the same level, the Fanatec and these is a bigger leap, I wouldn't "upgrade" from a G29 to the Thrustmaster. 

AS for Fanboi? Other than the logitech G5, this is the only Logitech product I've ever owned, I dodged the G27 for the Thrustmasters. My god are the G29 pedals so much better than the Thrustmasters...

I think you're all crazy, I've had all three wheels and the G29 isn't this toy like you say, it's good and no way is it on the T150 level. I'd say if you look at price/package, the G29 is probably the better buy over the Thrustmasters, the FFB isn't that much worse. the Gears are smooth and it in reality isn't much louder unless you're going off road. 

I was surprised. I went from T300 to this and I don't miss it, if the Logitech lasts as long as every one says, I'd take that over the poor build quality of the Thrustmasters any day. 

To me, the G29 and T300/500 are on the same level, the Fanatec and these is a bigger leap, I wouldn't "upgrade" from a G29 to the Thrustmaster. 

AS for Fanboi? Other than the logitech G5, this is the only Logitech product I've ever owned, I dodged the G27 for the Thrustmasters. My god are the G29 pedals so much better than the Thrustmasters...

Hey dude ,,,no one is saying the G29/G27 isn't any good ,,nor is anyone saying it's a toy,,,Read the thread and you'll see that's just your mind putting those thought's into your head ..

Going onto any sim forum trying to convince folks that the G29/G27 is a better wheel than a T300/T500 is kinda like going to a Richard Dawkins forum and trying to convince folks that the universe was created by God,,,lol

Plus your review was kind of a pissing contest between G29 & T300 ,,,but as i said before , if your enjoying it then that's money well spent.

The G29 is now a no brainer choice over the thrustmaster, now that the expected price drop has happened. 300$ USD with shifter! Add that to the longevity of the G29 over the thrustmaster. My G25, a little long in the tooth. But still works after 8-10 years. 

On 8/31/2016 at 3:41 PM, Howie47 said:

The G29 is now a no brainer choice over the thrustmaster, now that the expected price drop has happened. 300$ USD with shifter! Add that to the longevity of the G29 over the thrustmaster. My G25, a little long in the tooth. But still works after 8-10 years. 

Budget wise i would advise a person getting a g27 over a g29 or g920. I like my g27, considering the g29/g920 are just a rebranded g27 with more butons on the wheel and a brake mod, i wont bother upgrading to either of them. Personally looking at the v2 base considering i already have purchasd v3 pedals and already have a th8 shifter. Thats just my preference. Now if a person wants to mad a g27 then thats a whole diffrent field.