Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logitech Momo racing encoder gear

2 posts in this topic

Hi,  my logitech momo racing wheel stopped registering steering input so I decided to take it apart to have a look. Then I saw that the encoder gear was broken. I contacted logitech to see if they could provide the replacement but they required some info that I could not even provide and in general I thought that I couldn't get anywhere from there since they would either not provide the part or they would ask me to send them the whole unit so they could fix it and then ship it back which would probably be very expensive (the warranty is long expired), so I ditched that approach.

Then I decided to superglue the gear. That worked and got the wheel working but the gear felt flimsy and fragile so I put a lot of superglue thinking that the light from the encoder would still pass through the grooves. It didn't. So I started cleaning out every little gap with a thin needle and I broke a pin so I guess now the gear is ruined...

So now I am wondering which route to take in order to get a working gear. I did design the gear in sketchup in order to 3d print it, though it can be a challenge, since I don't own a 3d printer and I live in a small town where no one has one plus I am not sure about the accuracy of the print.

So, if anyone of you has any advice on what should I do I will gladly hear it! 

Thanks!IMG_20160306_103909657.thumb.jpg.a027d93

If you don't feel like fixing it you could always just upgrade to a better, more recent wheel. I don't think you will be able to 3d print the gear because it is a pretty delicate gear. Maybe you can but I don't know since I don't have a 3d printer. I think your only options in this situation are to:

a.) Return it to Logitech and have them repair it

b.) Scavenge Ebay for a replacement/3D print one and do it yourself

c.) Sell it on Ebay as "Broken" and use the money for a new wheel or throw it away