Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpaceFrame Formula Chassis

9 posts in this topic

What do Sim Racer think of this rough concept. I'm thinking about designing a version out of 25 Series extrusion which cost 21cents per inch. https://8020.net/shop/25-2525.html

Given this is a space frame construction like older generation race car we can use this small profile yet still be extremely strong.

The rear section behind the seat will be optional, I just thought it looked fun interesting....

More to follow soon...

RaceChasis.jpg

RaceChasisRear.jpg

Thank you AussieStig agree you are correct, the problem with the ergonomics of a GT3 seat like shown is they don't offer the correct laid back position for formula style racing position.

Given your experience in a number of formula rigs what is the angle of the bottom seat cushion?

i'm going to try to do two versions of this rig, one from 8020 tube and another from wood sections like my Lotus 49.

Thank you AussieStig

Below is a re-engineered version with the driver laid much further back, this one is all made from 8020 parts. Pedal mounting plate is adjustable for angle & height.

Add a bit of sheet metal and you have an enclosed rig. We will work out the finished price of this one over the next few days..

Next I'm going to work on an interesting wood seat plates that can then easily be covered or add foam moulding.

RaceChasis8020.jpg

steve:

might be worthwhile to use those fiberglass kart seats for this thing rather than a GT bucket seat.  

or one can always get fancy with a bunch of garbage bags and 2 part foam and pour yourself a seat ;)  pretty sure the 2 part foam option would cost way less than even the cheapest sparco seat (unless one sources those used)

the problem i foresee with the kart seat is in the mounting.  realistically you'd want to bolt it on the bottom near the front plus the side (a la how you'd do it in a real kart) to securely fasten it down; so something needs to be accounted for in the cockpit to allow for bolting it down from the side as well.  It might not be needed for a static rig; but if someone wants motion later on, that's pretty much a must. 

If one were to build something like the supersport rendering above, you can get 2 part foam from pegasus for 70 bucks and just mold your own seat that way.  It literally is pouring one into the other and then pouring that mixture into a garbage bag IN THE COCKPIT to make a personalized seat.  For any open wheelers that doesn't need a bead seat, that's how they do it IRL.  

if one was building a spaceframe platform for a sim, one might as well go this extra mile if one has already gone this far in the immersion factor. 

Hello.

Did you manage to build it? I was designing something similar , and in all F1 positions you can't use the motor just behind the steering wheel, because you would hit you knees. The solution is to push the motor it as back as u can. Also, the back of the seat must follow the curvature of the spine, and the pedals need to be much higher.