Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 96: Force feedback Wheel Buyers Guide

23 posts in this topic

Presenting our Force Feedback racing wheel buyers guide for the PS3 and PC.

We get a lot of enquiries about which wheel to buy and it's mainly about Gran Turismo 5. We decided to put together this guide, to tell you about 10 Force Feedback wheel and pedal sets that work great on the PS3 and the PC as well.

Jessica test drove every one and along with Darin, tell you how much each wheel is, a few details about each so that you can decide, which wheel is best for you.

Hope you enjoy the show !

Good stuff again!

I find it odd that the G27 (yes, my wheel) is the only one to come with a clutch *and* H shifter as part of the package. Especially with the higher dollar wheels like the T500 and Fanatecs. Considering how expensive it is to get an H for the T500 on top of being the most expensive wheel, that would put you at $800 to have a car-appropriate transmission, something required to consider your racing a "sim". The G27's isn't a high quality shifter, but at least the wheel package you buy gets you 90% to where you need to be---lacking a sequential stick to use with appropriate cars being the shortcoming.

Running something like GT Legends and using paddles to shift and presumably an auto-clutch for most people, it's just not the same experience like it should be in those cars. Sim driving means more than just suspension and physics, IMO.

Now we just need to get quality universal H and sequential shifters to add on for a reasonable price.

Then we'll talk handbrakes. ;)

Of course, this was a "wheel" review, not a shifter or package review. Fine job on the episode, it ties together several of your older shows that many people might miss, and gives good updated info.

It' s a real pleasure to watch your report. Since I know your site, back to december 2010 when I decided to purchase a wheel, I can' t wait to see your tests. I loooooooooove what you do. :P:P

BUT..... I just regret we don' t see you all 3 in action much. Why don' t we see you driving ? We have a lot of screens of the wheels but no in game. You know what I mean ?

AND, I was pretty sure you would pick T500RS as your favourite, you already mentionned it somewhere on this forum, but you don' t say that contrarary to Fanatec GT2, it does not come with shifters where as it is $100 more expensive !! Why would you need 3 pedals if you can only paddle shift ? So the wheel MAY be better, but what about the package ? ;);) Great review tho !! :D:D

This is my first post; you guys do a fantastic job…

My wife just traded in her 2nd Mazda Miata for a Mini.. Dashed are my dreams of racing one of them at Lime Rock Park.. Dang…. We live about 1½ hours from there.

Anyway, thanks to your reviews it looks like my best chance to race a Miata at Lime Rock is on iRacing.com

I’m close to finishing my rig made of 80/20, will be buying an Acer 24 or 27 inch 3d monitor when they come out, a PS3(GT5 looks interesting especially in 3d) and a good wheel/shift/peddle set.

Until I watched this episode I was planning to buy the GT2 setup. I also have an Xbox 360 which I’ve had since they first came out.

I really want to get as close as I can to the real thing, without the price tag.

It sounds from your comments that the T500RS is a considerable step up from the other wheels, even though I’ll need to buy a 6 speed shift(give us some reviews/options). Can’t drive a Miata without a stick…. it won’t be the same if I can’t grind the gears.

Hurry up with the review, I can’t wait,

Andy

Nice episode as usual.

Darin just one question, since wrc could only allow one controller, the old wheels that the game don't recognize you can't use it on ps3, is this right?

I have a G27, but still have a old Momo Red, and a friend of mine want's to try it on the ps3 on wrc.

It' s a real pleasure to watch your report. Since I know your site, back to december 2010 when I decided to purchase a wheel, I can' t wait to see your tests. I loooooooooove what you do. :P:P

BUT..... I just regret we don' t see you all 3 in action much. Why don' t we see you driving ? We have a lot of screens of the wheels but no in game. You know what I mean ?

AND, I was pretty sure you would pick T500RS as your favourite, you already mentionned it somewhere on this forum, but you don' t say that contrarary to Fanatec GT2, it does not come with shifters where as it is $100 more expensive !! Why would you need 3 pedals if you can only paddle shift ? So the wheel MAY be better, but what about the package ? ;);) Great review tho !! :D:D

If I'm not mistaken what they did was pick one wheel they would want the most regardless of price and so on. Customers in the market considering these wheels shouldn't really compare the GT2 and T500RS. If they need Xbox support the choice is easy enough, as they mentioned on the show.

The GT3 RSv2 is priced competitively with the G27. The T500RS is in a price category above those. If you can afford the T500RS and don't own an Xbox that is probably the best choice, just like an ECCI or Frex might be a better choice if you have the $$. The price difference between GT3RS v2 or T500RS is rather large considering you need to spend another $100-150 for the shifter aswell on the T500RS. Simply put, it's in an entirely different price categor and nor Fanatec nor Logitech have a wheel in that price range.

Great show as usual! Enjoy these shows immensly and they made me go up another notch in my sim racing career. Eagerly anticipating my GT2 for Forza 3 and GT5 (which should be in my mail box at the moment).

Excellent episode as always.

I got a laugh at the comments about the older (cheaper) Logitech pedals like those with the DFGT which was my first wheel, I liked those pedals at the time but once my girlfriend bought me a G-25, OMG, what a difference, then all of a sudden the comments made by Jessica and Darrin were like a personal episode of Deja Vue. LOL :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Thanks for great guide!

I own set of Logitech G25's and as good as they are, my set is getting little old. Gas pedal has started to wiggle, clutch has started to squeak and H-shifter has started to get loose and therefore its easily pressed to bottom and gear changing slows down. Do not get me wrong G25 is great set and good value for my money, but I have used them so much and so long for now.

So now I have been looking to get Fanatec GT2 with clubsport pedals, but after this guide I kind of got interested about that Thrustmaster T500. I just wonder is it worth the difference, because the set would again be in use for long and the durability is big concern. Fanatech would have possiblity to just buy new piece of set to replace the broken one, but does Thrustmaster? Don't know about that.

I have started sim racing few years ago and trying to learn as much as I can and soon my idea would be to buy Gamepod rig and some quality wheel and really start paying attention to my driving style and cornering. Other option would be trying to fix my G25 and mod it with that extremely expensive brake pedal, real size steering wheel and build reverse rig that allows reverse mounting to the pedals. I calculated that in either case it would cost almost the same, but which one is more worth the money.

I live in Finland, and every option is easy to do or get, but I just cant decide between the wheels, just because of the durability issue. Fanatec, Thrusmaster or my old Logitech which would last longest?

Love the show and keep up the good work! Thanks.

I never did mind my DFGT or DFP pedals until I got my G25. Now I can't use them. Strange thing is, I want an even stronger set now. I guess it is what your feet get used to. I still figure that you can be as fast with either one, since technically it's the same potentiometer in both.

I guess if I were going to buy anything else, it would be the GT2 with clubsports, mostly just to use the pedal set on a console. A g27 with a perfect pedal brake or some ECCI pedals would be cool though.

Thanks for this episode.

I enjoyed it and found what was said about the Fanatec wheels particularly helpful.

For me, at least, the GT3 (v2.0) wheel would be a preferable and more practical option. It is noticebly cheaper than the newer GT2, and is an identical wheel with the exception of light up buttons and Xbox 360 compatability (I have no plans to ever own an XBox 360 and do all my racing on PC anyway).

Once again, this episode is why ISR is on my 'must see' list....well done to the team.

Another enjoyable episode. I agree if you have no intention of racing on the xbox there is no reason to spend the additional $100 for xbox compatibility. I use the G27 and it works great on the PS3 except for the fact that there is no PS button. One other thing...isn't it true that the clubsport pedals also work on the Logitech G27? (Although the G27 pedals are excellent so I'm not sure how much one would benefit from the clubsport?)

I'm going to have to watch the video you folks did on xbox wheels as I have a hard time enjoying Forza specifically because my wheel is awful compared with the G27.

Thanks again!

I can't believe the T500's paddle shifters don't turn with the wheel. What a stupid design. What were they thinking? I'm sure it's a great wheel otherwise but that's just silly.

Why is it silly? Quite a few road cars with paddle shift are exactly that way.

Hi,

Nice overview of the available wheels. I am currently trying to decide between the Thrustmaster T500RS and the Fanatec GT2 kit. I'm looking forward to the full review of the Thrustmaster T500RS!

:)

Be aware that AFAICT Fanatec is not offering the kit (wheel and CSP) at this moments. That means the price for a preorder would run $450.00USD.

The Thrustmaster T500RS can be found at some vendors for $560. The Xbox360 compatability is a nice option sorely lacking on the T500RS.

tough call...I am leaning towards the T500RS (this week! :lol: ) due to it being available relatively soon. Fanatec is not winning me to their sidee with the numerous complaints of poor customer relations and shipping issues (yes, i know they are a small company). Fanatec said their wheel will not available until mid-May 2011. Throw in shipping times and i bet one would be lucky to see it in mid-June 2011 !

keep up the good work!

:)

I am munni. Thanks for your information. I like for your info.It is a very important subject.

I live in Finland, and every option is easy to do or get, but I just cant decide between the wheels, just because of the durability issue. Fanatec, Thrusmaster or my old Logitech which would last longest?

I enjoyed the force feedback wheel review. If I am not mistaken, all the wheels used pedals for gas and brake. Can anyone make a recommendation on a FF wheel that uses paddles on the column for those functions and maybe buttons for shifting, ala the old TM Grand Prix 1? I have difficulty working pedals. The unit needs to be compatible with Windows 7 also.

Thanks.

Nice episode as usual.

Darin just one question, since wrc could only allow one controller, the old wheels that the game don't recognize you can't use it on ps3, is this right?

I have a G27, but still have a old Momo Red, and a friend of mine want's to try it on the ps3 on wrc.

It should work.. not sure though.. Sorry..