Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gran Turismo Settings questions

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

This is my first post, so I'll take this chance to thank Darin, Jessica and Shaun (plus the rest of the ISR team!) for their great website and show. You've done a great job of putting together a community here for all of us who enjoy virtual driving! I think one of the things that makes your work so enjoyable to me is that you come across as real people who genuinely love sim racing, and that you are first and foremost members of the community yourselves!

And how can I not mention how much I think the lovely Jessica Lopez adds to it all! You may not be the hardest core of sim racers, but it's great to balance Shaun and Darins perspectives with a newer and more casual approach, and even that feminine touch. It also comes across how much fun you have doing the show with the guys, and that just makes you a pleasure to watch and listen to! Your general joie-de-vivre just adds a super happy positive touch to the entire show and site!

I have some questions about how the settings work.

I'm wondering if turning on ABS, ASR, and traction control causes these features to be applied to all cars, even ones that never had any of these systems, and conversely, does turning these features off cause these systems to be disabled on all cars, even those where you would have no ability to turn them off?

Also, I was hoping someone could give me fuller descriptions of the effects of the various firmware settings on the Fanatec GT3RS v2. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly how the settings and their various available values will effect my driving experience - even after playing a few rounds last night changing the "damper" setting to all it's different levels I couldn't really tell the difference and couldn't even determine whether a positive value increased the resistance of the wheel to turning or decreased it!

Finally, I'd also really like to hear Darin and Shaun's opinions on the whole brake bias debate. Do the stock brake bias values need to be adjusted to make the cars driveable? What settings do you prefer for brake bias or do you generally leave them at the default 5/5 until you really need to tweak a cars drive?

Thanks again for the great site, and thanks in advance to everyone for their help!

Hi spleenracer and welcome to the forums

Thanks for watching and for the compliments !

In regards to the Damper settings.. I honestly don't play with that one because drift mode basically has the same effects and will counteract the damper settings I imagine.

Center spring to -3 should make the wheel lighter as well as drift mode.

Brake bias.. I prefer to have mine with the fronts at about 7 to 8 and the rears at 5. Personal preference for me because I like to have the front brakes locking before the rears. Helps with corner entry and trail braking to stop the car from going around. 5/5 may be more balanced though..

ABS and all those aids will help any car in game and are on by default in every car which I HATE !! 5 traction control in a 60s Corvette ?? dumb.. But I guess they make it that way to be more driveable for the majority of players (gamepad drivers).

Welcome again to the forums and thanks again for the compliments.

Darin

I leave all aid settings off except ABS I leave at 1. I use a Logitech DFP wheel and found that barely tapping the brake at 0 will lock 'em up. Not sure how it would be with a Fanatec so you might have better luck, but I couldn't find any sensitivity adjustment at all.

i have all aids set to off except ABS which is at 1, i drive with the fanatec crs elite and v1 clubsport pedals set to between 6-7 on the dial. my brake bias is set to the same as darin. this all seems to work for me

I have the GT2 Porsche 911 wheel. Wheel settings are as follows:

For 900 deg rotation

Force 100

Shock 100

Drift 0 - 2

ABS - Off - doesn't offer much on GT5 in my view but if you choose to use it I would have it set to 98.

Linearity 0

Deadzone 0

Spring 4

Damper Off

For 360 degrees of rotation

Force 100

Shock 100

Drift 3 - 5

ABS - Off - doesn't offer much on GT5 in my view but if you choose to use it I would have it set to 98.

Linearity 20

Deadzone 10

Spring 4

Damper Off

In game settings:

FFB 10

Power Steering - On or Off (- never can tell the difference!)

TC - 0

ABS - 1 - I find that there is a big jump in the 'sim - like' tendancies of the game when this is set to 0. Too much like hard work and no fun for me :)

Polyphony Digital are really missing a trick with there lack of wheel options in my view - after playing Dirt 2 and Grid with the GT2 Fanatec wheel it is difficult to enjoy GT5 as much. The FFB effects on Dirt 2 and Grid are very good!

I find 450 degrees of rotation works well for GT5 too:

For 450 degrees of rotation

Force 100

Shock 100

Drift 0 - 2

Linearity 10

Deadzone 10

Spring 4

Damper Off