Problems with Clubsport shifter SQ v1.5. Any help?
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Ugh... I took a chance that all the negative press about Fanatec's poor quality and customer service was finally behind them and bought a complete Clubsport system. I love the products, they are all incredibly good in operation... but my Clubsport Shifter SQ v1.5 just broke while I was driving! I had it in sequential mode, and there was a snap, and the stick stopped returning to center. It feels like the centering spring inside broke or something. Has anyone else experienced this, or is there a fix online? I've searched and I can't find anything about it.

Moving the lever from sequential to H pattern feels a little looser than it used to, but switching it to H and SEQ made no difference, it won't work on SEQ.

(I'm having trouble with the Clubsport Wheel v2 as well... it's started making a high pitched squealing noise whenever it is on. Needless to say, I am not happy. How can they charge this much and have such poor build quality? These things are WAY too expensive to be having all kinds of problems barely a year after purchase.)

*EDIT*

I opened the internals up and figured out the problem. Following is a picture of the internals of the shifter as they are SUPPOSED to be. The two metal bars in the middle are the spring that forces the stick to recenter when in SEQ mode. The springs have popped loose and are now sitting as I drew, with the orange arrows showing which one has moved to where. I can probably fix this... I hope, but I'm still wondering if anyone else has had this problem? It's ridiculous that the spring isn't properly captured and has any chance AT ALL of coming loose! If I do fix it, I'm going to also have to try and figure out a way to better capture the spring, or I suspect it will just do this again, probably easier now that it has done it once...

Clubsport shifter spring as it should be, and as it is having popped loose.

Edited by Trisk

I haven't seen any other forum posts regarding the 1.5 having a common fail point. This model was an update to the 1.0 which did suffer from problems, though if I remember it was the cheap hall sensor failing, and a bolt coming free inside.               

On the other hand the squealing is common and Fanatec know this. It's coil whine. It's non-fatal and merely the sound emanating from a coil vibrating. It's a common thing with graphics cards too. It's not an indication of anything going to fail.

I can only think Fanatec don't perform enough stress testing on their products. I watched a video once from inside the Cherry keyboard switch factory. For just keyboard switches they continually ran tests to ensure they were always meeting high standards. I don't imagine Fanatec have robot arms shifting gears 24 hours a day or anything similar on any other of their products. The consequences being these sorts of things leaking out into consumer versions.

Hey, thanks for the reply, Jeremy!

Coil whine.... do you know if it is coming from the cooling fan? I can replace that... or is it some user unserviceable part? I take it that means Fanatec won't do anything about it, and just tell me to live with it?

I'm going to pull off the top plate off the shifter and see about pinching those spring bars back in place, and see if I can shore up those two screws, as I assume their shafts are what is supposed to hold the spring captured. I'll see when I take that plate off. I'll maybe report here with what I do in case it happens to anyone else. I hope I can fix it.

Coil whine isn't fan related, it's an electrical component on the circuitboard. Here's is a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI

This generally starts when the device is pushing hard, so a lot of electrical current is passing through the coil. Does it occur as soon as you turn it on, or after a bit of use? The pitch of the whine can sometimes change from other interference, even moving the mouse can make the tone alter. It's another way to diagnose this.

Apparently it is possible to eliminate this by encasing the coil with hot glue, which essentially prevents the coil vibrating. It's worth recording a video and sending that to Fanatec and see what to have to say. But it is definitely something they are aware of. From what I remember they said (in reply to someone on their forums) it would be fixed in firmware update. I can only imagine the firmware would reduce the power going through, so preventing it hitting that point where this would start vibrating.

Maybe running at lower FFB setting would have the same effect? It's worth just testing that theory on your own wheel.

All said and done, coil whine it's anything breaking, just a horrible distraction.

I'm afraid that's as much as I know on this subject.

OK, it turns out the spring was in fact broken, sheered in two at the back. I had very rarely used sequential shifting, so I'm guessing that it was flawed from the factory and was bound to break when I started using it. Fanatec was quick to reply, and after offering to RMA and repair the shifter, I sent pictures and asked if I could just have them send me the spring and install it myself, saving the time and shipping needed to send the shifter in to them. They agreed and I got the spring yesterday. I think it took three business days to get it, so it was pretty fast.

Here's how the spring looked when I opened up the shifter:

asitwas.jpg

and here's the spring removed from the shifter base:

broken.jpg

It was a little trickier to install than I would have thought from just looking at it, but twenty minutes and two very greasy hands later, I bolted everything back on my stand and it works perfectly again. I'm happy at the fast response from them, and though it isn't very fun to have something that expensive break after only several hours of use, (I use the shifter for H pattern 90% of the time,) they got it resolved quickly. I feel much better about my purchases now, knowing they'll back them properly.

I think I will take the time to ask about the coil whine. Would people here like me to report on what they say/do about it? I've recorded the whine so others can hear what it sounds like and such...

Ben

Wow, multiple people with the same problem. Hmm... I hope they've worked up getting a more rugged spring now... We'll have to see how long this one lasts...

For anybody who is going to do this, it helps a bit if you have an extra set of hands to help you, because once you get it all in place, you are going to be GREASY in the extreme, and not going to want to touch anything else to get screws in place and such to lock it all down. Other than that, it's a bit fiddly but easy to do.

On 2/17/2016 at 7:49 PM, serrasalmus said:

my shifter i got back in nov, and ive replaced the spring on it once and i have a back up spring, i was wondering if maybe someplace like fastnel would have a stouter spring

How did you get a backup?

27 minutes ago, ekki said:

Hi

Well I just want to join the club with a broken spring. I bought my shifter in the end of january, and yesterday I had no more Sequential Shifter...

Fanatec will take care for the spring don`t worry!;)