Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

6 out of 10 on realism a bit disapointing?

16 posts in this topic

not that dirt 2 wasn't fun but

I found the rally aspect ... strictly driving alone to be the most boring part of dirt 2 ... don't get me wrong I'd take RBR over any of the dirt games any day.. but physics weren't the strong point of Dirt2 it was in the variety .... so I'm thinking if they expect rally to make up the bulk of the game then dumbing down the realism is definitely not the best choice

... we already got that with WRC 2010 ... has that game even made it to the states yet? its almost like that game was dead on arrival.. compare it to the welcoming reception that F2010 got and lets be honest, nobody cared about that game once they found out it wasn't realistic enough ...

I was glad when they said the focus would be on Rallies ....but was hoping that the switch to a more faithful rally experience would also bring with it more realism in the physics department...but from the interview that doesn't seem to be the case

needless to say I'm a little disappointing

am I alone here?

I think you have a good point. When I saw that video I too was a little disappointed. Since rally racing is mostly racing alone against the environment you really need good physics to make it interesting. While I like rally racing in Dirt2 I did find it less exciting than RBR or the older Colin McRae series.

For me personally I loved Rally Cross in Dirt2, I found the straight rallies (driving by myself against the clock) to be mostly boring.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

I think that Dirt 2 was a very fun driving game in all of its different disciplines. And I think that any improvement in the driving sensations (physics) is a welcome improvement. I also think that giving it a 6 of 10 is being very realistic for the market that that game is mostly being marketed for. For a hard core rally guy it will be hard to replace Richard Burns Rally. But for fun factor it is hard to beat Dirt 2 and hopefully Dirt3.

Agreed Shawn.

It's going to be tough to beat Dirt 2 for sheer fun, I hope Codies has some neat tricks up their sleeves for Dirt 3 or it'll just be a Dirt 2 add on pack so to speak.

For just rally play, the original Dirt was pretty good. Dirt 2 was a huge improvement over the original. :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

I Myself would LOVE to see "DIRT 3" head in a much more 'Sim" type Direction..but I totally understand CodeMasters keeping the game very accessible to the average "Gamer"..unfortunately many people seem to prefer racers that are pretty much "Dumbed Down" to the point of being a bit ridiculous,and after all is said and done "CodeMasters" is a Company and a business,and it's main Agenda is to make "$Money"..[lots and lots of money]..and it seems now days if a racer is somewhat "Realistic" to the point where you may actually have to put some time into learning the handling characteristics/physics of all the different Vehicles,and perhaps turn more than just 4 or 5 laps at a specific course/track until you can post some halfway decent times,then the title will get a reputation of being too difficult or too "Sim" like for the average Gamer,and subsequently "Sales" may suffer,and after the huge success and Sales of "DIRT 2",you really can not blame Codemasters for keeping "DIRT 3" on the same side of the fence so to speak,lets just hope it's not a total rehash of "DIRT 2" with a few new tracks and a few new cars,and a bit of a face lift,because I'm really "REALLY" looking forward to getting my sweaty paws all over this one!

because even though "DIRT 2" had a tendency to feel a bit too 'Arcade" at times,it's still one of my all time favorites,with just a gigantic "FUN" factor..so if "DIRT 3" still has that awesome "FUN" factor in tact,I can get past all the "Arcade" like stuff & just have a blast!

I don't really get the point of dumbing it down to begin with though

They spend all this time and effort working to get all the physics data into the engine... and then start picking it apart to make it easier for beginners. Its the same thing with the 1st Need for Speed Shift... I'm sure what they started out with was more realistic than the final version of the game...

its fine to have the option of toning down the realism for personal preference... but why not at least leave the original realism intact for those who want to turn it back on and get the sim experience

I don't see a downside of having a 'hardcore' realism setting ... if your audience goes out of their way to mod the game with realism add-ons and Mods.... shouldn't that be a hint that some people want that too...and not just an easy ride

Dirt 2 was pretty boring for me.

Dirt 1 I got every xbox achievement except a couple of the online ones.

The Colin McRae series are my favorite, then they stupided up the physics for Dirt for the masses and added lame dump truck races and stuff. At least Dirt 1 had a lot of rally, I played the rest of the events because they were there and fun. Dirt 2 they were not as fun to me and there was hardly any rally.

I should say rally is my favorite 4 wheeled moto sport. So I definitely want to see more real rally racing and less dumb truck races in Dirt 3.

anyone seen the video where they have a professional rally driver play testing this game daily ?

he says the game is realistic... and the guy from code-masters says its 6 out of ten on realism.... that's just a tad confusing isn't it?

Who do you believe? .... I don't honestly believe anything anyone behind these games says anymore.

Dirt3 is nice, I have not played RBR so can not compare the two and I was using a g27 so again hard to compare the effects to a fanatec.

First thoughts on it were good, it felt nice and had a good feeling of speed and runs three screens on pc ;)

Daz

Hi

I think it was one of the developers who said 6-10... It may not be released yet but I went to a show last Wednesday and there were four, five stands running dirt3. I played it for about 30 minutes.

Daz

For all I care if they do a simply copy and paste with the Dirt 2 physics into Dirt 3 then I'm happy. I thought Dirt 2 struck a balance between being fun and challenging. Plus, the FFB in Dirt 2 was great for being an "arcade" type of racer.

I'm gonna wait and see with this game, probably just try the demo when it comes out or wait until Darin or Shaun have to see in a preliminary review.

Well, since ISR got a prerelease copy of the game, the guys can throw an update on the physics of Dirt 3, right? :D

What I would personally like to hear is how that Kadett felt! :twisted:

Tomorrow we shall find out. I personally don't think 6/10 on the Physics Realism is that bad of a thing. I found the actual driving in Dirt 2 to be very enjoyable... but the X-Games mentality ("yo dude, come to baja!") to be annoying... and the new progression model and lack of real rally racing to be boring. I too played Dirt 1 and the previous CMR games to death. But Dirt 2 didn't even reach 1000KM driven before I traded it in. Glad to see that Rally is the focus again in Dirt 3. If everything else falls together, it should be a very enjoyable game. That's not to say that I wouldn't like to see a 100% rally game from this team once again... as WRC 2010 didn't really meet the quality I was hoping for.

I think 6 out of 10 for realism is fair after playing the actual game. Graphics are wonderful and it's still fun, but the claim that there is more of a rally focus can't be substantiated. There is more focus on rally cars, but genuine rally events still take the back seat which is fine I guess but the box and press are claiming different which is frustrating.

The love or hate it feature is the gymkhana events which you HAVE to become competitive in to progress in the game. I had to turn all the assists on and practice for hours for a podium place just to progress my career. It's not rally racing, it is Tony hawk with cars. If you dig it great, personally it was as boring as the average sand box game for me. The game does not to really educate on how to develop these skills on a series of tutorials which throw you in a sandbox and asks you to swim.

The other disappointment are the announcers they can't be skipped, and boy do they insult your intelligence and damper the proceedings.

The killer feature of this game is the group B cars, they are just incredibly fun to drive, unrealistic but tons of fun. Overall its a mixed bag, I much preferred dirt 2.