T500RS shuts down - need help
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Guys,

Since one week my T500RS shuts down when I turn very quickly the wheel. I noticed it playing DIRT Rally with low FFB allowing very fast movements with low FFB sometimes,

In fact, that's the power supply that cuts and come back to life few minutes later, so I think it's over current or over voltage, and now I want to know if it's due to the power supply / due to the wheel or perfectly normal.

I made some tests I noticed some events and I need help from other T500RS users to know if it's  normal or specific to my wheel.

First, power supply plugged to the wheel but not to the wall when I turn the wheel the power supply LED turns ON, is it the same for you guys? (if yes no issue on my wheel, if no maybe something wrong and motor send back current to the power supply and that's what causes shuts down)

Second, and more important, I can reproduce the issue I have in game in the controller configuration panel (where you set rotation angle), on this panel (wheel pluged in and powered, the wheel is loose and allows very fast rotation) when I turn very fast a few times both ways, it cuts. If someone can do the test, I would appreciate and don't panic if it cuts just unplug everything and wait a few minutes for the power supply to recover.

Hoping someone can help me in my debugging,

Last thing, I replaced the fan in my t500rs when I noticed the first shuts down, the fan was dead and maybe overheating caused damaged to my power supply or wheel, (I hardly recommend to change it for the Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX even if it still works)

I sent an email to thrustmaster support.

Cheers,

Vincent

I can't help with seeing get if the LED on the power supply comes on when turning the wheel as my power supply is hidden. But I can say my wheel has never cut out when  turning it real fast. A couple of things you can try 

1. Make sure you have the latest firmware in the wheel installed 

2. Make sure you have the latest drivers on your PC

3. If you don't power down your wheel when not in use make sure you do 

I know of a few people that were leaving the power supply plugged in when not in use and it was causing all kinds of problems.

Thrustmaster support  will ask if you have the latest drivers and firmware before they do anything. They will also ask for a video clip of the problem so it will speed things up if you have one ready when they contact you.

Good luck 

Doug 

Edited by Koikeeper67

Thanks for your reply Doug,

Point 1 & 2 checked, I tested on a second pc too,

I am going to prepare the video, good advice,

I always turn it off when not using it,

I will try to find a 4 pin extension cable to cut it and be able to mesure voltage and curent between the power supply and the wheel, to see what is broken,

I will try to power it with a lab power supply, it will tell me if it reaches current saturation before buying another power supply.

Thanks,

Vincent

TM support offers to send a electronic board replacement part with instructions or to send it for repair in a tech center, I'll choose the first option a replace it myself hoping it will solve the problem.

Thanks for your advices guys,

Vincent

The issue were on the electronic card, I replaced it with the instructions provided by TM (quite disturbing when it says to remove 6 wires and you only have 5... just one ground wire moved from the card to the power supply connector on my version).

First thing the power supply LED is not turned on by the wheel when the power supply is unplugged  from the wall, so it is a good test to check if you have the same issue. 

No more shutdowns when turning quickly the wheel.

One of the transistors has probably been damaged when the original fan went down, so good advice to everybody: change the fan before it damages your electronic!

Vincent

On 9.02.2016 г. at 9:42 AM, vds2001 said:

The issue were on the electronic card, I replaced it with the instructions provided by TM (quite disturbing when it says to remove 6 wires and you only have 5... just one ground wire moved from the card to the power supply connector on my version).

First thing the power supply LED is not turned on by the wheel when the power supply is unplugged  from the wall, so it is a good test to check if you have the same issue. 

No more shutdowns when turning quickly the wheel.

One of the transistors has probably been damaged when the original fan went down, so good advice to everybody: change the fan before it damages your electronic!

Vincent

I had same problem back in the days with T500RS - the topic is still here in the forum;)